Heading to the Amish community in Holmes County, and want to have a memorable meal? How about one served by an Amish family?
I picked up this business card last time I was in the community:
I haven’t tried this so can’t personally vouch, but it seems like a nice option if you’d like some good food in Amish surroundings.
A quote from a customer on the Amish Heartland Tours website: “…We thoroughly enjoyed the delicious (and plentiful) meal they prepared for us, their generous hospitality, and most enjoyable company!…”
The card says that they arrange the meal “with an Amish home”, suggesting there is probably more than one family providing this service via Amish Heartland Tours.
Here’s the dinner/lunch menu, from the site:
- Homemade Bread and Peanut Butter Spread
- Garden Salad
- Broasted Chicken
- Roast Beef
- Mashed Potatoes w/Browned Butter
- Green Beans
- Amish Noodles
- Hot/Cold Beverages
- Assorted Pies
Sounds like a nice spread. I see several personal favorites here.
They also promote simpler “Amish Pizza Meals” available on the company’s “Amish Farm & Home” tours.
Just three items on that menu – Garden Salad, Homemade Pizza which you can customize, and a “Specialty Dessert”.
How to Arrange a Meal in an Amish Home (Holmes County)
Here are the details from the website (some of which is on the card image above; note one small difference – the credit card fee is currently listed as 4% on the site, not 3.5%):
How to Reserve a Meal
1. Contact us with a date and group number.
2. We will confirm the date and number with an Amish home.
3. After confirmation, we will then contact you to schedule the meal and collect payment – via credit card (+4% fee).
4. Amish Heartland Group Tours LLC will send you a receipt and directions to the Meal in an Amish home.
- $30/per person – $15/per person (10 & under)
- Minimum 5 people (or flat fee of $150)
- No-shows/cancellations are non-refundable
- (330) 893-3248
Note: the above might change, but is current on the site as of October 2019. Check the website or contact them to confirm details.
Meals in Amish Homes – Other Communities
We’ve seen several other meals-in-Amish-homes businesses in other communities:
- Nolt’s Family Dinner Haus (Allen County, Indiana)
- Samuel & Ruth Lapp’s Farm (Lancaster County, Pennsylvania)
- Cindy Burkholder’s Home Cooking (Chautauqua County, New York)
If you know of others offering this service, feel free to share with us in the comments.
Or if you’ve had an Amish meal from these homes or others offering them, I’d be curious to hear how you found the experience.
You might also like: