15 responses to A Visit To The Amish Of Lagrange County, Indiana (16 Photos)
    Nancy Butzlaff
    Comment on Visit/Pictures. (September 4th, 2018 at 13:24)

Visit/Pictures.

Loved the pictures. We would love to come for a visit. Is there an amish b&b. Or Amish restaurant

Comment on Kind of... (September 4th, 2018 at 14:24)

Kind of...

There are several B&Bs, and half a dozen restaurants, but they aren’t owned by the Amish — that isn’t the kind of business an Amishman would own. But the restaurants, especially the Blue Gate in Shipshewana and Essenhaus in Middlebury, serve plenty of Amish-style food!

Comment on Amish-owned lodging and meal businesses (September 5th, 2018 at 18:50)

Amish-owned lodging and meal businesses

While it’s true it’s not common, there is apparently at least one Amish-owned bed and breakfast in this community, called Farmstead Bed and Breakfast. There is more information at this comment from a knowledgeable local reader: http://amishamerica.com/indiana-amish/comment-page-1/#comment-82965

That comment dates to 2014, but I checked and the business is listed in a couple of places online (basic business listing sites).

This type of business is probably most common in Lancaster County, PA: http://amishamerica.com/6-lancaster-amish-farms-where-you-can-stay-as-a-guest/

As far as restaurants, you won’t find a lot of traditional restaurants being owned by Amish, but home meal businesses are out there. Here is a post on one in a different Indiana community: http://amishamerica.com/this-amish-family-will-serve-you-dinner/

Comment on Update (September 23rd, 2018 at 06:07)

Update

Just to update this, I was in touch with the local reader again and he thinks this B and B is actually closed now. Not sure if there are any other Amish-owned lodging places in the area at this point.

Cathy Wood
    Comment on Amish pictures (September 4th, 2018 at 17:57)

Amish pictures

To me the people in the pictures don’t dress like the Amish we have in TN. The ones here dress in dark colors. The Amish we have do not want their picture taken. The ones in the pictures dress more like the Mennonites we have. Just an observation.

AJ
      Comment on A Visit To The Amish Of Lagrange County, Indiana (16 Photos) (September 4th, 2018 at 19:36)

The Amish in the Napanese/Lagrange settlements dress much less plainly than even Mennonites in PA do, but are probably as conservative as Lancaster Amish. The Adams county Amish in Indiana dress more conservative.

Athanasia
      Comment on Amish Pictures (September 5th, 2018 at 12:18)

Amish Pictures

Cathy W., you have a lot of the Schwarzentruber Amish in Tennessee and they seem to prefer the darker colors.

Suzanne Sellner
    Comment on Menno-Hof Amish Mennonite Center (September 4th, 2018 at 19:39)

Menno-Hof Amish Mennonite Center

My husband and I participated in a Road Scholar program at the Mennonite Retreat Center in Sturgis, Michigan, in 2014. The focus of our excellent program was comparing Amish and Mennonite cultures. One of our many field trips was to the Menno-Hof Amish Mennonite Center in Shipshewana, Indiana. The displays and interactive exhibits as well as the movie shown were all excellently prepared and presented. We highly recommend the center to anyone traveling to Shipshewana.

Randy A
    Comment on Great Photos (September 5th, 2018 at 10:57)

Great Photos

Thanks for publishing these photos. I always appreciate the effort of creating these informative pictures.

Al in Ky
    Comment on A Visit To The Amish Of Lagrange County, Indiana (16 Photos) (September 5th, 2018 at 13:04)

Thanks, Jim, for sharing these pictures and comments.

I was at that “Yoder’s Consignment Sale” you shared pictures of. I, too, was surprised to see the huge crowd on such a rainy day. I entered the parking area in one field soon after the sale began, and there were already several cars which had gotten stuck in the mud, so I turned around and parked at an Amish school nearby.

I have spent several weeks in this Elkhart/Lagrange settlement the past three years and learn more about the settlement every time I’m there. One thing I’ve learned is that the plainness in dress and use of technology varies between districts in the settlement. It seems like the least plain in clothing and the most use of technology is among the districts in and near to Shipshewana. As you travel farther east in the settlement, towards Lagrange, dress is plainer and use of technology is less. I’ve been told there is also at least one district northwest of Shipshewana in the Middlebury area that is less plain.

The settlement has really expanded in geographical area and is still growing. There are Amish living as far west as Bristol and as far south as Cromwell.

What you said about Shipshewana on Saturdays is also what I’ve found — very busy, but it really winds down starting around noon. Then on Sundays it’s almost like a different town — with very few cars and few buggies traveling through, and the vast majority of the stores,shops, restaurants, etc. are closed.

I enojoyed your including a picture of Menno-Hof. Menno-Hof will be celebrating its 30th Anniversary this Sunday, at Sept. 9, at 5 p.m. with a acapella hymn-sing in the Old Order Amish/Beachy Amish/Mennonite traditions and everyone is welcome. Cake and ice cream will be served after the Hymnsing. Sometime this year Menno-Hof hopes to have its one millionth visitor since it opened in 1988.

Al in Ky
    Comment on A Visit To The Amish Of Lagrange County, Indiana (16 Photos) (September 5th, 2018 at 13:07)

Correction — I meant to say that I’ve been told there is at least one district northwest of Shipshewana in the Middlebury area that is more plain.

Comment on Barrens (September 5th, 2018 at 18:27)

Barrens

Al I think you’re referring to the area known as Barrens (I believe the district is known as Middle Barrens, not sure if there is more than the one). I have been through that area and visited homes there, it is a plainer area. A friend who lives in the area shared that someone in his family even saw signs of ice box refrigeration in this district (this would have been 5 years ago).

Jason
    Comment on A Visit To The Amish Of Lagrange County, Indiana (16 Photos) (September 6th, 2018 at 00:07)

Thanks for the pictures of some familiar sights! I grew up a few miles west of Shipshewana and graduated from the local public school, but I haven’t been back in years. 20+ years ago the Westview school district (Shipshewana, Scott, Topeka, and Emma) was half Amish through 8th grade. I had many good friends who were Amish. Sometimes students in the more progressive districts (or maybe just the one right around Shipshe) are allowed by their parents/ministers to go through high school. A few Amish boys in the 90s were starters on the high school basketball team. One boy a grade ahead of me played basketball, graduated from high school, got a degree from Goshen College, and then joined the Amish church. So there’s an Amish accountant in Shipshewana with an accounting degree. I think that’s pretty unusual.

I had two close Amish friends as a teenager. One chose to join the Amish church and one chose to leave. We had many conversations about their choices and their desires in life. Quite an interesting way to think seriously about adulthood and potential lifelong commitments. During high school I worked for a local Amish construction crew as a driver/laborer during the summer and their driver during the school year. I have great memories of early morning and late afternoon conversations while picking them up and dropping them off. The men I worked with were willing to discuss any topic that came up.

I miss having regular and familiar interactions with Amish friends and neighbors. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!