I don’t really have a theme for these, other than “photos I liked”. So without further ado…
1. Beware of Nuts – This warning sign hangs by the lane going up to a home where I attended church service.
Never believe the stereotype of the Amish as dour, humorless people…it’s often quite the opposite. More evidence of that below…
2. Sil-optical Illusion – I took this photo as my brother was driving. Not sure how I got the silos to bend like that.
Probably has something to do with the shutter speed on my camera. I was using my phone, and it’s not got a pro-level camera on it. Dreamy.
3. Writer’s Block – Here I am on some kind of hybrid Plain word processor at an Amish friend’s home. What am I up to, typing up a blog post?
The screen doesn’t seem to be working right now, maybe need to fire up the generator…
4. Soaring Laundry – I never get tired of scenes of Amish laundry. Especially on windswept sunny days like this one.
I like the way that Amish families hang their laundry, with a line attached to a fixed point high above the ground.
It gives the impression that the trousers, shirts and dresses are taking off, soaring into the sky.
5. Bee Careful – My brother and another friend walking on the friend’s farm. I like how the random bee appeared in this shot.
I wasn’t trying to catch him in the frame. Looks airplane-sized. Watch out guys.
6. Sky So Blue – A view of a neighboring farm. It was one of those rich blue sky days.
7. Onboard Entertainment? – Three children in the back of a buggy, near the town of Intercourse. Little sister is just out of view.
The boys appeared a bit glum, or bored. How to keep yourself entertained on long buggy rides?
I can remember some things we used to do on long car rides, in a time before smartphones entered the picture.
8. Strawberrys – Like most handmade Amish business signs, I like this sign for its simplicity and homey look. And in this case its misspelling.
A hooved friend eating lunch just makes the scene.
9. Sunday Pigskin – Some Amish boys tossing the football around after church.
10. The Way to Happiness – If you can manage all of these all the time, I commend you.
You might also like:
Follow Amish America on our pages: