The Young Center at Elizabethtown College now has estimates available for the Amish population in 2017.
Amish are currently found in 31 states, three Canadian provinces, and two South American countries (Argentina and Bolivia).
One new addition this year: interactive maps showing the population in each state and province.
You’ll also find a list of the 12 largest settlements.
A few interesting figures:
- Over the past year, 21 new settlements were created, while 3 failed, for a net gain of 18 communities.
- There are an estimated 2,365 church districts.
- Over 60% of the Amish population lives in either Pennsylvania, Ohio, or Indiana.
- The total estimated Amish population as of June 2017 is 318,390.
- Amish are found in well over 500 distinct settlements (532 at the time of this tally).
Post updated Feb 12, 2018