I’ve put together a video overview of the Amish in Tennessee. The great footage is by Michael Pilkinton of the Amish of Ethridge, TN site/Facebook page. Michael traveled around the state to several communities beyond his home area of Ethridge, which gives a really nice visual overview of Tennessee Amish places.
As of 2022:
- Approximately 3,715 Amish live in Tennessee
- Amish are found in 13 communities in the state
- The largest community by far is the Swartzentruber Amish settlement at Ethridge (about 2,300 Amish)
- Among 32 states, Tennessee has the 12th-largest Amish population
- Amish are found in several other areas in the Volunteer Sttate, including sizeable communities Morgan, Warren, and McNairy counties
Statistics: “Amish Population in the United States by State, County, and Settlement, 2022” and “Amish Population, 2022.” Young Center for Anabaptist and Pietist Studies, Elizabethtown College.
I started this series with several much longer videos, but realized I won’t get to all the states if each video is going to be 15-20 minutes long like those were (takes forever to produce/edit). So I’ve tried to focus on the key information in this video and kept it short and sweet.
For further info on Amish in Tennessee the above links should be helpful, especially for community locations. You can also do a site search here as we’ve got a number of posts on Amish in the state up on the site.
Watch the video here (Runtime: 3:25). And a thank you to Don Burke for the nice cover images.