294 responses to Wisconsin Amish
    Jeff Baker
    Amish Settlements in Wisconsin: Households, Population, Type (August 11th, 2012 at 06:01)

Amish Settlements in Wisconsin: Households, Population, Type

I found this when I typed in st anna amish- on a search engine – It shows Amish communities in Wisconsin.

Hope this can help someone. Jeff.

Amish Settlements in Wisconsin: Households, Population, Type of Occupation
    Amish Settlements in Wisconsin Households Population Persons/Household Farming Dairying Woodworking
    (settlements, county) No. No. ratio Percent Percent Percent
    Algoma, Kewaunee Co ** 2 13 6.5 100 100 ?
    Athens, Marathon Co 28 191 6.8 86 86 7
    Augusta, Eau Claire Co 115 710 6.2 61 59 32
    Beetown, Grant Co *** 11 66 6.0 ? ? ?
    Blair, Trempealeau Co 43 212 4.9 23 16 58
    Greenwood, Clark Co 30 193 6.4 80 67 19
    Hillsboro, Vernon Co 95 672 7.1 83 48 10
    Kingston-Dalton, Green Lake-Columbia-Marquette Co 152 963 6.3 43 28 41
    LaValle-Ironton , Sauk Co 53 378 7.1 47 42 47
    Livingston, Lafayette Co 23 177 7.7 65 35 39
    Loganville-Hill Point, Sauk Co ? ? 46 20 46
    Lookout-Wolf Valley, Buffalo Co *** 11 66 6.0 ? ? ?
    Loyal, Clark Co *** 59 363 6.2 >60 60* ?
    Marion, Waupaca Co ** 22 135 6.1 64 50 ?
    Medford, Taylor Co 82 341 4.2 45 35 21
    Mondovi, Pepin-Buffalo Co 73 454 6.2 37 26 56
    New Auburn, Chippewa Co 27 199 7.4 11 0 63
    Owen-Unity, Clark Co 18 122 6.8 72 56 0
    Platteville, Lafayette Co ** 21 129 6.1 86 90 ?
    Readstown, Vernon Co 35 169 4.8 29 20 43
    Rising Sun, Crawford-Vernon Co ** 1 6 6.0 100 100 ?
    Spencer, Clark Co 16 90 5.6 75 75 6
    Stratford, Marathon Co 19 112 5.9 21 16 63
    Taylor, Jackson Co ** 17 104 6.1 88 53 ?
    Viroqua-Liberty Pole, Vernon Co 10 69 6.9 30 20 20
    Wautoma, Waushara Co 52 291 5.6 33 23 51
    Wilton-Tomah, Monroe Co 139 907 6.5 78 73 13
    Wolf Valley-Lookout, Buffalo Co ? ? >64 64* ?

*** Source: Number of Farmers and Woodworkers per settlement Miller (2002); size of ministry (Raber 2003)

Mary Jo
      St Anna Amish (November 12th, 2012 at 18:47)

St Anna Amish

I do have friends within the St Anna community. I can connect persons if they want.

St Anna Amish (December 15th, 2012 at 20:40)

St Anna Amish

I’d like to hear more of your contacts with this group. I know Andy Hostetler, deacon. Do you attend the Haystack Meal fundraisers in the summer? Any dates you know now?
        Gratefully,
        Richard Dawley

Richard Lee Dawley
      Rober's Amish Settlement Count (July 24th, 2013 at 08:55)

Rober's Amish Settlement Count

Jeff, Great help —thanks for your sharing. I write non-fiction books about the Anabaptists, give slide talks, and lead tours to SE WI settlements for the past 20+ years as an educational effort to share the “plain truth” with my non-Amish readers.
      2249 S. Calhoun Rd.
      New Berlin, WI 53151

Furniture supply help (July 24th, 2013 at 15:36)

Furniture supply help

I am a small upholstery shop in West Allis and do restoration upholstery of antiques which often call for horse hair or 50% horse hair/50% hog hair.
        Is there a Wisconsin Amish community that makes and sells curled horse hair for upholstery.
        I would be interested in doing business with them.
        Sincerely,
        Debra
        Just Chairs Upholstery

Richard Lee Dawley
          Horse hair (July 25th, 2013 at 08:27)

Horse hair

Interesting need….. What is “curled hair?”
          Richard

diana m reynolds
    wisconsin puppy mills (September 3rd, 2012 at 22:28)

wisconsin puppy mills

just a quick q
    uestion. Do the Amish still run puppy mills ?This is a wonderful site. Lots of information. I love the Amiish, but, I also love dogs. Please don’t take this as a threatening question. I just have to know.

Kevin Fabry
    Question (November 12th, 2012 at 16:09)

Question

Does anyone know of any Amish in the NE or Northern part of Wisconsin area that are buggy builders or have restored antique horse drawn sleighs? Thanks in advance.

Pat Huber
      Amish in NE Wisconsin (November 12th, 2012 at 16:15)

Amish in NE Wisconsin

I know there is an Amish community outside of Marion. I have seen their homes and buggies when driving up on hwy. 110 (I think it was). Other than that, there are a few Amish still in the Richford/Dakota area (west of Wautoma). They are the only communities I am aware of in this area.

Mary Jo
      Buggy repair/St Anna area (November 12th, 2012 at 18:49)

Buggy repair/St Anna area

I do know of an Amish craftsman in the St Anna area who may work on buggies. He has his own collection, but also has a construction company.

PMiller
        Wisconsin Amish (March 14th, 2013 at 10:44)

Could anyone tell me the name of amn Mish construction company in WI. We would like to build on land in Wales,WI and wonder if we could bring our plans to someone for an estimate. many thanks to whoever could help. P Miller

Sue Seidl
          Amish builder (May 7th, 2013 at 21:35)

Amish builder

Edward’s Carpentry (Schrock) in Bonduel 715-758-8881

Brian
          Amish construction company Southern Wisconsin (July 14th, 2013 at 15:56)

Amish construction company Southern Wisconsin

To the person asking for a Amish construction company to view a house plan to build near Wales. William Yoder and his older brother (I don’t remember his name) own a construction company out of Brodhead, WI. William also makes horse harness. They do much of their work in the Janesville area but they hire English so they can also hire their vehicles to get further away. I haven’t spoken with William in a few years so I don’t know if they would build in Wales (I live in Wales also).

Richard Lee Dawley
            Amish in Wisconsin (July 14th, 2013 at 22:02)

Amish in Wisconsin

Brian,
            Tell me more about your experiences with Amish in Brodhead. I’ve written books and give talks and tours and like to keep up on the local activity. Emanuel Helmuth was my contact person in Evensville, WI. He nodw lives with his daughter in Bonduel, WI. Edna, his wife died a few years ago. I drove them both to Florida about 7 years ago. Wonderful folks.
            Richard DAwley
            New Berlin, WI

• Wisconsin Amish update: Cashton, Vernon County

An anonymous Wisconsin reader shares:

Just read your article in Amish America and want to add that the Swartzentruber Amish are in Vernon County, Wisconsin and their community is the Liberty Pole/NN Amish. They have been exempted from using the Slow Moving sign on the back of their buggies as long as they use reflected tape which they have been willing to do.

An update on the Cashton Community is that they now have another church group as in September one bigger one split into two. They do not have a new bishop yet as former bishop for this group now divides his time between the two church groups. I was told it might take up to two years before a new bishop takes over one of the groups. A few years ago the Cashton Community had a readjustment of their church groups and making new boundaries. If you still have my map of Vernon County the group that split into two groups is the southwestern part of the community.

I just read an article written by a state newspaper saying that the Cashton Community has about 3,000 Amish. This sort of matches my thoughts as I figure about 4,000 in the entire County.

Because of lack of land or whatever, many from the Cashton Community have been finding their way to the Hastings, Michigan Amish community with many moving to Nashville area in this community. Some are moving because of the rules. They are less strict and also the Amish are able to work in the neighboring towns which is not allowed here in Vernon County with the exception of the Chaseburg Amish who are allowed to work in town as long as they travel by buggy only.

Catherine
    New Amish in Western Wisconsin-St. Croix County (November 19th, 2012 at 17:38)

New Amish in Western Wisconsin-St. Croix County

As of Oct/Nov 2012, many families have just moved into our area south of Baldwin and Woodville, WI. It’s wonderful and they are so happy to wave when we ride by on our bikes! Thankfully, these dormant farms are not be revitalized. We will soon learn more from them when we bring homemade pies and jam to welcome them, in time for our own traditional Thanksgiving. Any one else have information on their sect, such as Swiss or otherwise? We hear they are from Indiana, but we don’t want to rely on rumors. Wagons are not covered, no electricity, laundry done outside with a crank and tub, plowing with 1-2 team horses. Thanks.

Catherine
      New Amish in W. WI.....typo (December 12th, 2012 at 23:32)

New Amish in W. WI.....typo

I meant to type in my 11/19 comment “…these dormant farms are noW being revitalized.” Also, wagons are not covered.

Todd
      New Amish in Western Wisconsin-St. Croix County (December 14th, 2012 at 10:55)

New Amish in Western Wisconsin-St. Croix County

Hi Catherine. I’m in this area and have seen some of them. There is even one family who tragically lost nearly all of their dairy herd when moving in (http://mygatewaynews.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=40&ArticleID=5525). What township do you live in? I’m in Cady.

Catherine
        New Western WI Amish families (December 14th, 2012 at 12:07)

New Western WI Amish families

Todd,
        We’re in EauGalle Township. I call it “South Baldwin,” 1 m. N. of county line and east of hwy 63.
        Your news link doesn’t connect me, but I’ll try to google. How did they lose their herd?
        Unfortunately, some locals are “warey” of the new residents which saddens me. They need to be educated properly. This is interesting culture and these are peaceful people who beautify our land.
        From what I’ve researched, in general, Amish move for same reasons anyone else moves; in order to find more prosperity in work and lifestyle while being mindful, frugal, and strategic. When factories shut down they must find new work, and our fertile land and farming practices suit their need to maintain farming life that is being replaced by other work in this modern age. Also, housing prices are on the rise and we have many dormant farms in our area so it’s good to buy now before prices increase. I’m unsure, exactly, of desire to move for certain customs in this case. If anyone else has more factual information, please share.

Todd
          Wisconsin Amish (December 14th, 2012 at 12:23)

Evidently the family moved into their place in the middle of the night after traveling from Missouri and they let the cattle out to pasture. The cattle were hungry and thirsty after the trip and found a couple of rows of harvested barley that had been left behind. They ate the barley and drank lots of water and then began to bloat and died. They lost all 18 head that went in the pasture. They were only spared two heifers that were placed in the barn that night. Very sad.

I’m glad to have the amish in our neighborhood. Good neighbors are always welcome.

Bloating cows (December 15th, 2012 at 20:52)

Bloating cows

What community didi this happen? Richard Dawley www.richarddawley.com

Todd
              Wisconsin Amish (December 15th, 2012 at 21:59)

Near Baldwin, WI.

Holdeman Mennonites (December 15th, 2012 at 22:09)

Holdeman Mennonites

Do you know them in Barron County?

Todd
                  Wisconsin Amish (December 15th, 2012 at 22:16)

No, I don’t know any of them yet. We drove by some that are moving into the area near our home, but they weren’t there. We’ll try another day.

Barron County Search (December 15th, 2012 at 20:58)

Barron County Search

Do you happen to know the Holdeman Mennonites, also known as Church of God in Christ in your area?
          I write non-fiction books about the Amish, Mennonites and Hutterites and will make a talk at the FArm Tech Days in Barron County near Dalles July 9, 2013 at 9 and 2 in the Family Living Tent. This is my third appearance at this marvelous mini-State Fair.

Catherine
            reply to Richard, re: Holdeman Mennonites (December 16th, 2012 at 12:35)

reply to Richard, re: Holdeman Mennonites

Richard, Do you know for sure that the many new families who’ve moved in our area of W. Wisconsin/St. Croix County are Holdeman? And how did you find this information? It would be helpful to find out more and we hope to personally meet them soon. Thanks much.

Holdeman Mennonites (December 16th, 2012 at 13:05)

Holdeman Mennonites

I met them a dozen years ago and more in Barron County.

Catherine
                To Richard (December 16th, 2012 at 13:59)

To Richard

Richard,
                Just to clarify, is the group in our area in fact Holdeman and did they move from Barron County?

Thanks for your help. Sounds like you’d be a good resource for us, so please let us know more if possible.

Holdeman (December 16th, 2012 at 14:14)

Holdeman

I’m creating more confusion than information. I do not know if the group from Barron County moved to your area. I met them in Barron County 15 years ago.

Richard Dawley
                    Barron County Mennonites (January 20th, 2013 at 13:05)

Barron County Mennonites

I’m going to be in Barron County in Dalles this July 9, 10, 11, 2013 to put on a PowerPoint slide program and talk. I’d like to meet more Holdeman if you can help and also find someone to put up with me and “put me up” for a night or two in a modest sleeping room I’d pay for.
                    rld7971858@att.net

Todd
      Amish in St. Croix County, WI (May 6th, 2013 at 10:42)

Amish in St. Croix County, WI

An Amish family in the Town of Eau Galle is being harrassed by the county for selling baked goods from their home. It doesn’t meet the county zoning code as a “minor home occupation” and they are being told to cease business or scale back to meet the code. Either of these options will impact this family’s livelihood.

Here’s a two-part story from the local newspaper:

Anita Sinclair
      Woodville Amish (July 21st, 2013 at 10:21)

Woodville Amish

We live in Mn, but have visited two families and the bakery in Woodville, WI about 4 times. We buy eggs, worms, fryers and bakery items from them. They are very friendly and working very hard to establish their new homesites. There seems to be a community if about 20 families who have moved up from Tomah. This is probably old news to many of you. If you want eggs,ect. I will let you know where the families are.

Jackie S
        woodville wi Amish (June 13th, 2014 at 21:00)

woodville wi Amish

I would like to know where you go for your purchases. I have been through the community several times and I cannot find anyplace to buy anything.

MAH RAZ
    Help needed from Amish for Dairy (December 9th, 2012 at 23:33)

Help needed from Amish for Dairy

Does anyone know of any Amish in the NE(closer to Minneapolis or Rochester, MN) part of Wisconsin area that are dairy/farm owner? Thanks in advance.

Catherine
      to MAH RAZ for Amish Dairy (December 12th, 2012 at 23:39)

to MAH RAZ for Amish Dairy

I believe you’re meaning to say NW Wisconsin (not NE), which is closer to Mpls. Many new farming families just moved into our area 35 minutes due east from St. Paul in Baldwin/Woodville area. At least 5 families in a 3 miles radius from me in Eau Galle Township/S.Baldwin. Some just bought the former Lund Egg farm in Woodville and sell baked goods from there, at least. I’m just learning about them and they appear to raise beef and dairy. Very friendly active people!

Mah Raz
        In Reply to Amish Dairy-Catherine (December 15th, 2012 at 13:26)

In Reply to Amish Dairy-Catherine

Thank you Catherine for this information. Yes I wanted to mean NW Wisconsin. From your description it seems(as I am new to this area) the distance is with in my drivable range and the families/Farms might have the dairy/product I am looking for. What would be the best way if I want to talk to somebody to express my need- is there any place(address that will be found in Google Map/GPS) and time that I can come either after work or on Weekend?

Any help is appreciated
        Thanks much

Catherine
          reply to Mah Raz (December 16th, 2012 at 12:29)

reply to Mah Raz

To find your product, I’d google Lund Egg Farm in Woodville. This is one farm they’ve bought and sell some goods, as far as I know. Also, local food co-ops have access to many hard to find food products and at least they can special order them. River Falls and Stillwater, in addition to many in Mpls/St. Paul and Rochester have good co-ops.

Todd
      Wisconsin Amish (December 14th, 2012 at 11:05)

Does the need for help have anything to do with thi story?

Jeff Baker
        I sent them my Prayers (December 14th, 2012 at 11:11)

I sent them my Prayers

I sent them my Prayers, as I do not have much money and no cows to send. Thanks, Todd for the heads up on people in need.

TOM
    FELT AMISH HAT (December 19th, 2012 at 18:10)

FELT AMISH HAT

A SIZE 8 CAN ANYBODY DIRECT ME TO A PLACE TO BUY OR ORDER IT SPECIAL MADE?

Jeff Baker
      http://amishamerica.com/amish-hat-shops/ (December 20th, 2012 at 06:45)

Your answer is right within this site – Highlight the above and open in new tab. You can also type into a search engine – felt Amish hats – and you will get places that make these hats. I do not know of a specific person or company myself. Hope this helps. Jeff.

Marcus Yoder
      Wisconsin Amish (December 20th, 2012 at 07:48)

Flying Eagle-5000 Fountain Nook Rd.Apple Creek, Ohio 44606.They have dealers or you can order direct. They always have an add in the Budget. No phone number. Many different styles and prices from $63 to $92
      Marcus Yoder

crane
      Buy Amish felted wool hats @ Lakeside Fabrics. (December 25th, 2012 at 03:34)

Buy Amish felted wool hats @ Lakeside Fabrics.

You can buy ready-to-wear Amish felt wool hats at Lakeside Fabrics & Notions. 5423 Military Road, Pardeeville WI 53954. Open MTuWFSa 8-5, except for religious holidays. They carry 2 brands of felted wool hats with different size brims and crown height.
      If you want a custom hat, then you should contact the manufacturer (Flying Eagle address listed in other comment)

Tim
    What Group of Amish around LOYAL, WI? (January 1st, 2013 at 18:45)

What Group of Amish around LOYAL, WI?

Just today, (1-1-13) I had the great fortune to meet a husband and wife Amish Couple traveling thru Milwaukee, from OHIO to their home in upper Wisconsin, Near LOYAL and SPENCER, WI. The man is a Tarp Maker and also fixes zippers and they sell Goat Cheese and Eggs. What Church Group or are they of the Mennonites in that area?

I had the pleasure of helping them out with a small favor and before they left to travel on, they called me a “friend” and have asked me to come their way, if I get up in that area. I’m going to travel up there hopefully in the summer of 13.

Does anyone know of this man who is a “tarp-maker” and farms? He and his wife are a gift to this world as Amish Folks.

Spencer Amish Tarp Maker (January 20th, 2013 at 12:57)

Spencer Amish Tarp Maker

Spencer is a New Order Amish community with several Mennonite farms and businesses. Once in the community anybody would be able to tell you where they live. Sounds like you hve made a sound bond with them with respect and sincere interest.
      I’d enjoy and email from you with your experience since I have written 8 non-fiction books on the Amish, Mennonites and Hutterites and sold 8,500 copies and run out. Many are on Amazon and one Kindle book of mine—A Plain People, or use my name, Richard Lee Dawley for your search tool.
      Good luck.

Tim
        SPENCER Tarp Maker (March 19th, 2013 at 10:27)

SPENCER Tarp Maker

Thank YOU Mr. Dawley for the info on the search for the “Wonderful Amish Couple” I met here in Milwaukee, WI.

I will ask there “whereabouts” when I visit in the area and I’m sure I will have no problem locating them.

I will email YOU for any research YOU may desire on my “meeting” and let you know when I do get to see them again and the interest I have.

Good Luck to YOU on the continued books of these very wonderful, yet uniquely different people.

Ray Tauscher
    Gothic barn arches to be removed (January 5th, 2013 at 07:59)

Gothic barn arches to be removed

I have a barn near Green Bay WI. I had someone come in to remove my barn, they removed part of the barn. The part they left was the newer part that had laminated arched beams and dementional sleepers. I would like to know if someone would be interested either giving me a quote on renovating the part that is left, or removing the rest.
    Thanks
    Ray

Waupaca Co. Res.
    Waupaca Co. WI (January 20th, 2013 at 09:57)

Waupaca Co. WI

One person commented but there are several Amish families that live in Waupaca Co. WI around Marion, Clintonville and Manawa. They attend local actions,have their own auctions and bake sale. Great people!

Pat Huber
      Waupaca County (January 20th, 2013 at 16:49)

Waupaca County

Yes, I believe it was me who commented on them. I have seen them when driving up near Marion. Not sure there are any left in the Amherst area, though that used to be a large community. I had heard a while back they all moved.

Richard Dawley
    Waupaca County (January 20th, 2013 at 17:35)

Waupaca County

Marion to Symco along Hwy 110 you’ll find the community. Their auction is along that road. There are no more Amish in the Amherst area. I helped the last family to move out of there in December about 2005. Henry and Martha Schwartz family were the last to move as far as I know. They moved cattle and horses in carriers, and thier personal effects and household items—including two buggies—in the back of a semi-trailer !
    They were permitted to use the elictricity in the house they moved to (owned formerly by and English man) for light, heat, and the electric well pump until Spring when it warmed enough to be settled in.

rick
    buggy repairs (January 21st, 2013 at 13:01)

buggy repairs

I am looking for someone in the Amish community who can direct me to an upholstery shop to replace a top for a Dr. Buggy.

Richard Dawley
    DR. BUGGY TOP (January 23rd, 2013 at 07:49)

DR. BUGGY TOP

Where are you in Wisconsin? What distinguishes a DR. buggy from an Amish buggy?
    Richard

Richard Dawley
    Dr. buggy TOP (January 23rd, 2013 at 07:51)

Dr. buggy TOP

Whare are you in Wisconsin? What is a Dr. buggy?

mary kay wagner
    comment on wisconsin amish (February 26th, 2013 at 16:32)

comment on wisconsin amish

does anyone know of a small store in Marion that sells the Rada brand of kitchen utencils?

Waupaca Co. Res.
      Wisconsin Amish (March 10th, 2013 at 19:10)

I know were the store is, just off of Hwy 110, South of Marion. Not sure if they sell that brand, i could stop in a ask.

Tana Schulist
      Wisconsin Amish (June 5th, 2013 at 20:34)

I know of the Lark Store on Lark Road in Shawano area that carries this brand. It is an Amish owned store.

Deb
    Wisconsin Amish Auctions (April 7th, 2013 at 13:45)

Wisconsin Amish Auctions

I am aware of the auction in Bonduel but was wondering if anyone could tell me where there are other Amish Auctions in Wisconsin. Sometimes at the Bonduel one we see a couple auctions posted but would like more information on the auctions. Thanks.

Richard Lee Dawley
      Wisconsin Amish Quilt and Furniture Auctions (April 7th, 2013 at 18:49)

Wisconsin Amish Quilt and Furniture Auctions

I have posted some dates I’ve collected over 8 years in Wisconsin. I sold my non-fiction books about my experiences with the Amish, so the list was important. Unfortunately, they may have changed, and I have sold all 8,500 of my 8 titled books.
      I hope the list might help. Call the Chamber of Commerce in the towns, or google the Amish community name for help. I’ll try to keep a better list if folks let me know what they find.

Kingston is usually the second Saturday in June held at the auction house south of Kingston on Hwy 43.

Bonduel is usually the Saturday closest to Mother’s Day and Labor Day on Porter Road.

New Berlin, WI 53151
      rld7971858@att.net

glen
        kingston auction house (April 7th, 2013 at 19:55)

kingston auction house

i believe the kingston auction house is about 6 miles WEST of kingston, on the north leg of “cty h”, NORTH of hyw 44.

Richard Lee Dawley
          Kingston Auction (April 7th, 2013 at 20:08)

Kingston Auction

Glen,
          Right you are. They used to move around from farm to farm but usually at the Clarence Schlabach farm and the school house south of their property in years past.

Richard Lee Dawley
    Wisconsin Amish Quilt and furniture Auctions (April 7th, 2013 at 18:31)

Wisconsin Amish Quilt and furniture Auctions

I have collected dates for auctions for 9 years in various places in Wisconsin. They are usually held the same time so as not to duplicate or interfere with other communities.
    Although this list is not official, it gives you something to work from;
    April— Marshfield, Athens
    May—LaValle, Bonduel, Medford, Amherst, Franklin, Livingston, CAshton, Sheldon, REadstown
    June—Sugar Grove, Kingston, Wautoma, Kingston
    July—Augusta/Fairchild, Albany, Blair, Medford, Sheldon, Wautoma, Athens
    August—Amherst, Bonduel
    September—Livingston, Marshfield
    October—LaValle, Marion

Let me know what dates you find and I’ll try to keep a log

Deb
      Wisconsin Amish (April 7th, 2013 at 22:17)

Wisconsin Amish

Thanks for the reply on the dates for the Amish Auctions. Look forward to attending some of them,

Catherine Olson
    Amish Logging with Horses (April 7th, 2013 at 21:16)

Amish Logging with Horses

Looking for some Amish to log our land with horses in West Central Wisconsin. We’ve witnessed and read about other people who log this way in River Falls (without heavy combersome trucks or machines); however many Amish have moved into our area and we’d like to see if they can be a resource for us.

Richard Lee Dawley
    West Central WI Amish (April 7th, 2013 at 21:22)

West Central WI Amish

Can you give a description of where the Amish are living in your West Central WI area? Then I might know some Amish who would possibly do your work.

Catherine Olson
    Amish Logging (April 7th, 2013 at 21:46)

Amish Logging

We live just south of Baldwin, WI. I recall discussing this with you before, Richard, but you did not seem to know the new Amish from our area. I believe they come from Missouri and they came this past October.

Maybe Todd from nearby Cady knows something? Todd?

Thanks.

Todd
      Amish Logging (April 7th, 2013 at 22:06)

Amish Logging

There are some families living in the town of Cady and in the Village of Woodville area. I haven’t met them and don’t know if they can do the work. You can call Steve Baker at the Woodville Motel (http://www.woodvillemotel.com/) I know he busses many of the Amish around.

Catherine Olson
        Amish resources....buy local! (April 7th, 2013 at 22:16)

Amish resources....buy local!

Thanks, Todd.
        Well, now that we’re all out of winter hibernation, we’re just going to get on our bikes and knock on some doors and ask our new neighbors directly.
        Fyi…the Red Barn Country Store at 63 and 29 sells AWESOME bread, fudge and pies from new local Amish. Drop off is Thursdays.
        Lund Egg Farm in Woodville also is a good place to buy stuff.

David A Berry
    Wisconsin Amish (May 2nd, 2013 at 21:49)

Can you please give me info on Amish towns or areas closest to the Oshkosh area.
    Pln to go to EAA show in Oshkosh and would like to see Amish areas but not too far from Oshkosh.
    thanks

David

Richard Lee Dawley
    Amish near Oshkosh, WI (May 3rd, 2013 at 07:00)

Amish near Oshkosh, WI

As a former EAA member and pilot who flew into Oshkosh a number of times during the show, I also write books on the Anabaptists and lead day tours to a community about 30 miles west of Oshkosh, Kingston.
    However, it’s the second largest in the state and I can provide a map with their businesses. Send a self-addressed and stamped legal sized envelope and I’ll ship you one. Give a call and I’ll “guide” you thru.
    New Berlin, WI
    262-797-1858

Erin
    Wisconsin Amish (May 4th, 2013 at 23:34)

Just read this terrible news from Osseo, WI: http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/05/04/vehicle-strikes-amish-buggy-injuring-9-in-wis/

Praying the family makes a full recovery.

Erin
      Wisconsin Amish (May 6th, 2013 at 15:20)

Has anyone read or heard an update about this young Amish family that was hit last week? All seven children and their parents were injured.

• Buggy accident in Trempealeau County

Erin I read that they located the driver. He is a 19 year-old with some previous driving violations. Inattentive driving was mentioned as a factor.

Erin Pluimer
          Wisconsin Amish (May 7th, 2013 at 14:23)

Thanks Erik. I was able to find an update on the family today. The wife and all seven children were released from the hospital. The husband is still hospitalized. No condition was listed.

emily
          seeking (July 1st, 2013 at 04:47)

seeking

Hi,
          Any suggestions would be appreciated. Are there any Amish or Mennonite churches that conduct English speaking services and accept seekers in the states of New York, Pennsylvania, or Wisconsin? We are looking for something that is comparable to Smyrna, Me or Caneyville, Ky.
          Thanks

Richard Lee Dawley
    Wisconsin Buggy Accident (May 8th, 2013 at 06:19)

Wisconsin Buggy Accident

I’d like to send a check to them if you know the settlement they live. I can find them in the Wisconsin Abana Directory.
    Amish Insight
    2249 S. Calhoun Rd
    New Berllin, WI 53151

Erin
    Wisconsin Amish (May 8th, 2013 at 07:20)

Richard, David & Lydia Wengerd are from Osseo, WI. It’s in Trempealeau County in Western WI.

Richard Lee Dawley
    WISCONSIN Buggy Accident (May 8th, 2013 at 08:51)

WISCONSIN Buggy Accident

ERIN,
    THANKS for the update. About 10 years ago I visited Andrew Wengard in the Blair community and am sending him a small check for David’s hospital bills, etc. I hope they will accept it. I’ll be making a talk on the Amish in Wisconsin at the Farm Technology Days in Barron County at a farm near Dallas, WI in July, 2013 and have asked Andrew if I could visit with his family then and perhaps David’s family as well.
    Is David in the Whitehall Hospital?

Erin
    Wisconsin Amish (May 8th, 2013 at 09:55)

I don’t know this family but always feel badly when I hear of buggy accidents. I have insurance with a very high deductible and can’t imagine what this family’s expenses will be. I believe I read that they were in a Mayo affiliated hospital.

I would love the opportunity to hear one of your talks. I live near St. Cloud in central MN. I’ll have to look that area up and see if it’s doable!

Thanks for your generosity!

Richard Lee Dawley
    Amish talk (May 8th, 2013 at 16:43)

Amish talk

I remember St. Cloud being on the Mississippi River and a Book World Store in town. I sold 8,500 of my non-fiction books thru their corporate stores in MN and WI and they are all sold out. Amazon has used ones and some new. One dealer bought a box of 20 books of one title.
    I sent a letter to my contact in Blair (also a Wengard) and a check for some of the hospital bills.
    My talk at the Farm Tech Days is in July in the Family Living tent. Have you ever been to one? I’ve presented at 3 and it’s a mini-State Fair. About 30,000 expected.

Deb
      Website (May 12th, 2013 at 12:33)

Website

Do you still have your website?

Erin
      Wisconsin Amish (May 29th, 2013 at 12:18)

You’re right Richard. St. Cloud is right on the Mississippi River! We don’t have a Book World anymore, although I remember some book store chain being in the mall. We do have a B&N and a great used book store called Books Revisted. I would love to read some of your books. I’ll have to see if Books Revisited has any, otherwise, I can find them on Amazon. Love to support the local Indie stores first!

Did you hear back from the family that was in the car/buggy accident? I’m hoping the Dad is home and fully recovered.

Richard Lee Dawley
    Amish Website (May 13th, 2013 at 06:31)

Amish Website

I discontinued the web site as part of a process of “shutting down” and gradually retireing from my very active advocacy for the Amish over two decades. I still hire-on as a step-on guide from groups who have a busload and I’ll organize a day trip to an Amish community, and still make talks to groups, and toy with the idea of printing my 9th book/booklet that is ready except for finding a graphic artist I need to put it into form and design a cover.
    However, my used books are still for sale on Amazon.com—-Google my full name, Richard Lee Dawley

Wisconsin Amish (May 13th, 2013 at 09:04)

Richard, for one I will say thanks for your efforts and for continuing to offer your take on the Amish here. I think you must have a lot of insight to share.

Richard Lee Dawley
        Offering My comments to your blog (May 13th, 2013 at 19:18)

Offering My comments to your blog

Erik,
        I’ve a copy of one of your books and like to help where I can and when I can. It’s only my perceptions and perspectives I can offer.
        Glad to help out.
        Richard Dawley

Tammy Wright
          I love the Amish! (May 29th, 2013 at 11:23)

I love the Amish!

Hello, we are new to WI from Missouri, and I long to find an amish farm or two to buy products from in our area. We live near Appleton. Any insights as to where the CLOSEST would be? Thanks so much, Tammy

jeff
            amish help///Dalton (August 15th, 2013 at 22:12)

amish help///Dalton

try Daltons on hy 44. they have lots of goods to sell . food clothing, farm things, you name it they got it

Richard Lee Dawley
              Daltons in Wisconsin (August 16th, 2013 at 11:49)

Daltons in Wisconsin

Is Daltons a store or town? I know the mailing address is Dalton.

Jeff Baker
                Mishler's Country Store (August 16th, 2013 at 20:58)

Mishler's Country Store

Hope I can help.

It sounds like a store I have been to in Dalton, WI. Just to the west of highway 44 on Berry Road called Mishler’s Country Store.

Mishler’s Country Store
                W 5115 Berry Rd.
                Dalton, WI
                608-429-3392

Richard Lee Dawley
                  Dalton Store (August 17th, 2013 at 07:49)

Dalton Store

Mishler’s is the largest bulk food store I have come across in Wisconsin.
                  If you are a writer, I’m looking for folks interested in being a part of my 9th non-fiction book by writing their real experiences with the Amish, Mennonites and Hutterites. I am teaching a course next month on self-publishing (4 sessions in the Milwaukee area).

Jeff Baker
                    I am not a writer (August 17th, 2013 at 08:30)

I am not a writer

No, I am not a writer, but I do like to buy food and other supplies from Amish and Mennonite stores. I would get to Mishler’s once or twice a year and Kauffman’s Country Store
                    9550 W. State Rd. 81
                    Beloit, WI
                    608-362-1750

(a Mennonite store) every month or so.

I moved to St. Petersburg, Florida recently, so the nearest Amish I have is in Sarasota.

Richard Lee Dawley
                      I Am Not A Writer (August 17th, 2013 at 08:48)

I Am Not A Writer

I’ve also been to the Kauffman store, but I think they are Mennonite???
                      Richard

Richard Lee Dawley
                  Dalton Store (August 17th, 2013 at 07:49)

Dalton Store

Mishler’s is the largest bulk food store I have come across in Wisconsin.
                  If you are a writer, I’m looking for folks interested in being a part of my 9th non-fiction book by writing their real experiences with the Amish, Mennonites and Hutterites. I am also teaching a course next month on self-publishing (4 sessions in the Milwaukee area).

Richard Lee Dawley
        Amish America Conference (June 11th, 2013 at 19:59)

Amish America Conference

Good to finally meet Eric at the Conference in Elizabethtown College.

Amish Quilts (May 13th, 2013 at 11:03)

Amish Quilts

Does anyone know of Amish that sell quilts in Western WI. area near Baldwin or Durand area?

Richard Lee Dawley
    Amish in Wisconsin (May 29th, 2013 at 15:09)

Amish in Wisconsin

Try Blair near Black River Falls. Richard Dawley 262.797.1858

Deb
    Kingston Auction (June 5th, 2013 at 21:31)

Kingston Auction

Remember the Kingston Auction is this weekend Saturday.

Mary Jo
    St Anna Amish Strawberry Shortcake Supper and Brat Fry (June 14th, 2013 at 07:03)

St Anna Amish Strawberry Shortcake Supper and Brat Fry

Amish Strawberry Shortcake Supper and Brat Fry
    With Homemade Pies & Ice Cream
    Thursday June 27th, 2013
    4:30 to 8 PM
    St Anna Firemen’s Park
    N139 School St.
    St Anna (Rural New Holstein)
    Fundraiser for St Anna Parochial Schools
    Free will offerings accepted & appreciated

Ezequiel Stankiewicz
    Nearby Communities (June 28th, 2013 at 10:27)

Nearby Communities

Hello and good day! This is a most helpful website, Erik! I am from Buenos Aires, Argentina and have recently developed quite an interest for all things Amish. As I will be moving to and living in Waukesha, Wisconsin for the next 2 years during my Bible studies, my question is whether there are any nearby Amish communities which can be visited by a bus ride or similar method of transportation without the need for a car. Thanks in advance for whatever information you can provide and God bless!

Richard Lee Dawley
    Nearby communities (June 29th, 2013 at 09:46)

Nearby communities

Erick forwarded your web site inquery to me. I am in New Berlin and would be able to meet you in Waukesha to discuss this quest you have for the AMish. Are you a student at UW-W or Carroll University?

Richard Dawley

Ezequiel Stankiewicz
      Nearby Communities (June 29th, 2013 at 21:41)

Nearby Communities

Thanks for getting back to me Richard:) I’ll be starting a two-year Biblical studies program at New Tribes Bible Institute this August 16, but am not sure what my schedule will look like yet. Would it be possible to reach you by phone during weeknights or on any given weekend before arriving? God bless you!

Richard Lee Dawley
        NEW TRIBES CONNECTION (July 1st, 2013 at 08:23)

NEW TRIBES CONNECTION

Yes, I know the New Tribes campus and been there doing work with a lady with a “escort” dog that senses her attacks coming on and alerts her to take her medications to avoid fainting.
        When do you arrive? Use my email address to connect rld7971858@att.net
        Richard

Richard Lee Dawley
    Amish Haystack meal (June 29th, 2013 at 09:59)

Amish Haystack meal

there will be another Haystack Meal at St. Anna on August 28th .
    Richard

Richard Lee Dawley
    Haystack Meal (July 3rd, 2013 at 13:11)

Haystack Meal

If anyone else has attended a fund-raising meal at an Amish community, I would like to hear (email is better to start with) about your experience. I’ve written 8 non-fiction books and sold 8,500 (as a self-published author) about my experiences in the US and Canada with the Amish, Mennonites, and Hutterites over the past two decades.
    If your experience and writing style (and spelling, grammer, etc) is compatible, I would consider including it in my book 9. Email me first to get my text/layout requirements.
    Gratefully,
    Amish Insight
    rld7971858@att.net

emily
    ques. (July 5th, 2013 at 04:17)

ques.

Richard,
    Are you aware of any Wisconsin communities that accept seekers to join and conduct their services in English? We are looking for any mid-western churches that are similar to Smyrna, Maine or Caneyville, Kentucky in their beliefs.
    Thx

Richard Lee Dawley
    Seeker (July 5th, 2013 at 06:15)

Seeker

I am not familiar with the Maine or KY communities you refer to. Tell me more about them—names would help. I understand less than 1% of the Amish population is made up of “joiners”.
    Do you know the German dialect? Are you a teacher? Are you married? What is your age? Do you practice any of the lifestyle of the Old Order or New Order Amish? Do you know the Charity community? Have you visited any Amish community and talked with any Amish woman about your plan.
    I’ve heard a few communities in Maryland use English in their services.

Cindie
    St Germain (August 22nd, 2013 at 04:56)

St Germain

My husband an I are from England and we are visiting St Germain, WI in September.
    Are there any Amish stores in that area.
    We are looking for crafts/gifts etc to take back to England.

Richard Lee Dawley
      St. Germain (August 22nd, 2013 at 16:56)

St. Germain

I do not know of Amish in St. Germain. However, if you have to travel from Schropshire County where my ancesters were from, maybe I can lead you to Amish in other parts of Wisconsin. Will you be flying into Chicago? I’m 90 miles north of it in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
      Richard “The Lion Hearted” Dawley
      rld7971858@att.net

Cindie
        Wisconsin Amish (August 23rd, 2013 at 02:57)

We are flying into Chicago on Friday 6th September, then catching a flight to Minneapolis. We will then drive to Cameron to meet my Mum, Step Father, Sister and Brother In Law. We will stay overnight in Cameron and then travelling to Candada through Grand Portage, MN. We are staying in a cabin and fishing for the week. We travel to Berlin WI where my Mum and Step Father have a farm. We will stay there for two days then head out to Cedaroma in St Germain for 3 nights in a cabin fishing again. Then back home to the farm for the night before driving to Chicago to fly home to England.
        Any places that you recommend would be greatly welcome, but please include the name of the town and the zip code so we can use our sat nav. Thankyou

Richard Lee Dawley
          Cindle (August 23rd, 2013 at 07:51)

Cindle

I found Cameron (any relation to Camelot???) but I know of only Holdeman Mennonites near there. I’ve been to Berlin where I once had a houseboat. I found St. Germain and the only remnant of the Amish is Exeland in Sawyer County where the first Amish in Wisocnsin settled in 1907. However, the only Amish there are in the cemetery—the rest left for Medford and other places.
          The good news is that near Berlin is the second largest Amish ssettlement in Wisconsin that I am very familiar with and lead tours there. It’s an hour and a half from where I live and I would enjoy meeting you and introducing you to my Amish friends there. Will you have cell phones? Richard

Cindie
            Wisconsin Amish (August 23rd, 2013 at 08:21)

Richard I am sending you an email with some more specifics about our trip so we can see if we are able to meet with you and your friends.

Richard Lee Dawley
              Cindie (August 23rd, 2013 at 09:57)

Cindie

I found your last message. Rummaging my letter file, I found a lady pen pal who lives in Hampshire, England. Last name is Milburn.
              Awaiting your email. This is very exciting and fun for a 78 year old man…..

Mary Jo
    Haystack Supper (August 22nd, 2013 at 17:17)

Haystack Supper

St Anna Haystack Supper
    With Homemade Pies & Ice Cream
    Thursday August 28th 2013
    4:30 to 8 PM
    St Anna Firemen’s Park
    N139 School St.
    St Anna (Rural New Holstein)
    Fundraiser for St Anna Parochial Schools

Richard Lee Dawley
      St. Anna Haystack Meal (August 22nd, 2013 at 17:34)

St. Anna Haystack Meal

It’s a great event. I’ve been to several. I’ve even helped the deacon gather the groceries in the morning for the meal. Parking is close to the pavilion where we eat.

Mary Jo
    St Anna Haystack Supper Update!! (August 24th, 2013 at 17:16)

St Anna Haystack Supper Update!!

I am bad, I gave the wrong day/date.
    It is Tuesday night the 27th of August.

Richard Lee Dawley
    Wisconsin Amish (August 25th, 2013 at 17:52)

Wisconsin Amish

Mary Jo,
    I thought the Haystack was at noon?

Deb
    Cashton, WI (September 25th, 2013 at 01:16)

Cashton, WI

I was wondering if there are any furniture makers in Cashton? Going there this weekend. So if someone can help me out that would be great.

Linda
    Wisconsin Amish (October 25th, 2013 at 11:55)

Twelve photos of Hillsboro, Wisconsin Amish by David Nevala can be seen with an accompanying article, “Photographing the Unphotographable Amish”, at

Jeff Baker
      Beautiful Photo's (October 26th, 2013 at 20:37)

Beautiful Photo's

Thank you for the link Linda – Those are beautiful photo’s.

Richard Lee Dawley
    Nevala Photos (October 25th, 2013 at 13:22)

Nevala Photos

Not only are his photos good, but his explanations of how he approached his subjects to avoid violating their code of pridefulness. I know Hillsboro and wrote about my experience there in 2002 that ended up in my first book of eight in 2003, Amish in Wisconsin.

James
    Infant casket (November 8th, 2013 at 20:22)

Infant casket

Our daughter recently lost her son on the day he was born. She wants a simple wooden casket for the child. The family recently moved from New Auburn, WI where some of their neighbors were Amish and understands and appreciates their lifestyle. Any help in finding someone to build an infant casket would be appreciated. Thank you, James

Richard Lee Dawley
    Infant casket (November 8th, 2013 at 21:21)

Infant casket

Blessing to you for your loss.
    I do know that Amish casketmakers in large communities can make caskets to fit any size. In Arcola, Ill they make a few sizes in advance just to have them on hand should a calamity occurs.
    My personal guess is that the Amish may not want to provide that service due to burial restrictions in counties that may vary.
    However, there is a casket making operation in Peosta or Peosto, Iowa (you might google) that make wooden caskets for sale. They are part of an Abby group and sell on the internet.
    That’s the best i can do.
    Richard
    Amish Insight
    New Berlin, WI 53151

Richard Lee Dawley
      Wooden caskets (November 8th, 2013 at 21:42)

Wooden caskets

The Abby is the New Melleray Abby in Peosta, Iowa 52068 888.433.6934

www.trappistcaskets.com

Let me know what you find.

A vault will be needed in WI, I believe that might be able to be wood. Local Amish might be able to help there. Check the county/state rules and your local funeral home.

James Hoffpauir
        Infant Caskets (November 9th, 2013 at 20:47)

Infant Caskets

Richard,

Thank you for the information and well wishes. A woodworking friend offered to build the casket and he is already busy making it. It will be another nice tie to the community and friends.

James

Richard Lee Dawley
    St. Anna Haystack meal (November 8th, 2013 at 21:24)

St. Anna Haystack meal

Great gathering and food. Been there many times.

Mary Jo
    Wisconsin Amish (November 15th, 2013 at 15:30)

Miller’s Bakery from Marytown/St Anna will be at Sheboygan at Caan’s Nov 16 & 30 and in Dec 7 & 12 from 9 to 1.
    They are also at the Sheboygan Indoors Farmers Market on Bluff Ave and N 3rd St.
    Bakery, pies, donuts, hand pies, cookies and chocolates will be available.