28 responses to Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish
    elaine
    Comment on Love is never ending (March 8th, 2017 at 09:27)

Love is never ending

I believe that love never ends any relationship. Perhaps love tests it, perhaps questions it, but I believe that love is the starting point for the true manifestation of God in us as humans.

Through my years of learning to truly live a life with peace as a primary goal, I’ve come to the conclusion that only with love of God and then love of others is my life worth living.

Peace,l

Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (May 14th, 2017 at 20:14)

I agree. There is a song that has a very influential phrase to me
      “No matter what I say. No matter what I do. No matter what I believe, I am bankrupt without love.”

Debbie H
    Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (March 8th, 2017 at 10:32)

It is nice to read of an Amish leaving and not losing the love of family in the process. After all Jesus taught us that unconditional love is at the heart of Christianity. Sounds as if this family lives that out.

Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (May 14th, 2017 at 20:15)

I appreciate your kind words.
      My family is truly a gift from God.

Eli Hochstetler
    Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (March 8th, 2017 at 11:17)

I also left the Amish at an early age……. no regrets…..relationship with my family is great…..truly true love……have a bookstore in our community, serving the Amish… would encourage you to write a book…….. these stories need to be written, because the world needs to know.

Tiffany
      Comment on Eli Hochstetler (March 8th, 2017 at 11:36)

Eli Hochstetler

Thank you for your comment…..I’m glad that your relationship with your family is great. I have always been just fascinated with the Amish way of life and actually got to visit Lancaster this past year….just a beautiful way of life! Blessings to you and yours Eli :)

Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (May 14th, 2017 at 20:16)

I’m so happy you also have a great relationship with your family!

Tiffany
    Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (March 8th, 2017 at 11:38)

I am glad that after you left your relationship with your family is still great. I am just fascinated with the Amish way of life and actually got to visit Lancaster last year…..so beautiful! Blessings to you and yours Eli :)

Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (March 8th, 2017 at 13:13)

I live not far from the community that Lorina was a part of. We visit often, and shop at their stores. My only concern is that the English (or in this area, Yankee world), there is so much to offer the young people that can destroy their lives. It is common knowledge that Ohio has the highest rate of deaths from Heroin and Fentanyl. And yes, these drugs have crept into the young ones in the Amish communities all over Ohio. I grew up in a strong Christian household many decades ago. I remember like the Amish teens, searching for excitement that my parents tried to protect me from. It caused grievous consequences. I think that most Amish parents, like mine are just trying to protect their children from some of the bad things that this world has to offer. I hope that Lorina Mast has a close relationship with the Lord, and is bringing her son up to know and love Him.

Jeff
      Comment on drug use (March 8th, 2017 at 15:46)

drug use

I live only 20 minutes from the route they call the heroin highway, just south of Joliet, IL. I’ve heard it can get pretty bad around those areas. I never understood drug use but I’m guessing it’s partially peer pressure, boredom (Ever been to Illinois? I rest my case.)or just a form of escape/ rebellion. Still, I don’t understand why you would consciously use drugs. (If you’re prescribed something or OTC, I have no issues.)

Carol
        Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (March 9th, 2017 at 14:35)

Ohio had so many highways where drugs are coming in. We have the highest number of overdose deaths in the nation. Sadly, as English or Yankee parents, we cannot protect our children. And as protective as the Amish community has been with their children, the junk is getting to those teens and young people, also. I have never heard how many have overdosed. I pray none, if any. Every parent hurts when they lost a child. I have lost children, and have had two struggle with drugs. But thankfully, I have not lost one to them.

Comment on Lorina Mast's baby's father (May 3rd, 2017 at 12:27)

Lorina Mast's baby's father

Comment on Lorina Mast's baby's father (May 3rd, 2017 at 12:36)

Lorina Mast's baby's father

I thought to myself how terrible that they found love and hoping things will work out, with a baby on the way. I just wondered How he “accidentally” died tragically? What happened to her boyfriend? Or were they married first and had a little time together at least?

Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (May 15th, 2017 at 13:34)

Hi Valerie,
        In response to your inquiries about my son’s father, he had a relative that had severe mental problems that were never addressed which led to the death of Josh (my sons father)and a voluntary manslaughter charge and prison time for the relative.

We were not married but had discussed it.

I don’t believe all was lost. From this, I have learned forgiveness and the relative received the help he needed although it is very unfortunate that it had to be because of a tragedy.
        I am a firm believer in there being a reason for everything that happens and although sometimes I may not understand the reason, I know that there is in fact at least one. :)

Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (May 14th, 2017 at 20:25)

Hi Carol,
      It sounds like you’re familiar with the Amish community :)
      There are definitely many many temptations and terrible things to get into no matter Amish, non Amish, black, white, 15 or 50. This is where self responsibility and a positive background are extremely important. Any good parent will want to protect their children from all the bad things in the world. I wish I could do this for my son. I wish I could go to school with him and guard him from all the influences of drugs and sex and violence. But I can’t. I can only do what my parents did and teach him in the best way possible about consequences and good decisions and there will be times he will be faced with temptation and make a bad decision, but then I can hope and pray that from my teaching and His will, that he will learn from his mistakes. Regardless, I will love him just as my parents have/do love me.
      My faith in God has grown tremendously since I left the Amish and my son and I have daily conversations about him. :)

Carol
        Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (May 15th, 2017 at 08:46)

Lorina, I am so happy that you are very close to the Lord, and raising your son to know Him. That is so important. I have a 16 year old great grandson who has been pretty sheltered, by homeschooling. He slacked off on it, and my granddaughter enrolled him in a school, that prepares the students for getting a job. I am concerned, as the school is in a bad area in Cleveland, with a lot of worldly influences all around him. All we can do is pray for them. I learned with my own kids, that nothing I did could save them from themselves or the world. After losing my oldest son, I learned to place the rest of my family in God’s hands, and leave them there. I have learned to fully trust Him, as I know that He loves them even more than I do. Wishing you and your son the best. May God richly bless you both. With His love, Carol

Jedaho
    Comment on Amish life and new birth (March 8th, 2017 at 16:44)

Amish life and new birth

I am always confused as to how many Amish communities approach the late teen years of their children. There is simply no doctrine in the Bible that allows anything like “rumspringe”. Jesus also clearly taught that an individual must be born again and become a new creature in Christ, receive instruction and be baptized in order to be His disciple. I hardly hear anything of new birth conversion in Amish. It seems like people simply choose to stay in any given community and decide to accept the boundaries given. If possible they bend the rules to where it is still acceptable, but clearly pushing the fence, not demonstrating any cross bearing or dying to self. With that in mind, it doesn’t come as a surprise that youth who have been raised Amish leave and “enjoy the things of the world for a season”. If the biblical, not traditional, way was taught and observed there would be a new birth experience and fruit of the Spirit evident upon their decision to join/stay with the community. I am also afraid that many of the Amish will have a rude awakening when Judgment Day arrives and Jesus tells them, “I never knew you.”

Forest Hazel
      Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (March 8th, 2017 at 18:01)

That won’t be limited to the Amish, by any means…

mary
      Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (March 9th, 2017 at 11:03)

Jedaho,

If you take the world as a “whole”… just take the full number of humanity… now decide how many youth follow the new birth at age 16 or close to it… Don’t make it Amish or Yankee or Jew…now think of the percentage of 16 yr olds…that might fall in the “rumspringa” role.

What I don’t like is how the outside world sees only the rumspringa youth and not the thousands that don’t do rumspringa like that.

Yes, I’m Amish. I tried to teach my children right. I am not perfect. jesus died that we might be free…so I try to live for HIm.

Carol
        Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (March 9th, 2017 at 14:40)

Mary, I am so glad that you shared that. Sadly, so many Christians are not aware that many Amish have the new birth, or are born again. Yes, some may just be part of the Amish culture or lifestyle, and stay because they are familiar with it. But praise God, so many know Him as their Savior!! Those of us who know Him will be rejoicing in Heaven together. I am sure that I will see you there.

Mark — Holmes Co.
        Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (March 9th, 2017 at 14:46)

So well said, Mary! As an Amish father to teens and young adults, I can say I am 100% agreed with you.

Mark — Holmes Co.
        Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (May 16th, 2017 at 07:35)

Well said, Mary!

Comment on The "Choice" period (May 3rd, 2017 at 12:35)

The "Choice" period

Yes, I think this is very dangerous, after being so careful raising them and keeping them from any bad influence. It is rather odd. I know that at some point they will have to make their own choice. But opening the door suddenly and with no direction or guidance to naive (yes, sheltered!) young people, seems almost heartless. There are many temptations and shady characters out there, not to mention what tv, magazines, the World’s “ideas” of what is right and wrong today–so many bad influences…. It is so easy to lose your anchor, or feel doubts by even foolish reasoning (example: my son said if God created everything, then he created Evil too…(no, he gave us Free Will to choose. Some will choose bad. Satan thought too much of himself, and kept thinking about He would like to be followed/worshiped). It appears my daughter kept thinking about this. Some bad things happened to her too, (when she left God’s good clean protective rules) and I think she thought God should have protected her from these things… At any rate, my point is that we should always be careful with our children. Not leave them on their own with Worldy influence only all around them.

Ed from NY
      Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (May 3rd, 2017 at 19:52)

Jedaho, you are describing Evangelical Christian beliefs. The Amish are from the Anabaptist tradition. You might want to research the differences and similarities between these various ways of practicing Christianity before casting judgment on one group or another.

As for the answer to “why” the Amish have Rumspringa, the decision to be baptized into the Amish is taken very seriously and is made in full recognition of what the wider world offers and what sacrifices one must make to be Amish.

Mary
      Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (May 15th, 2017 at 07:38)

Your comment makes me shudder, have you heard of “Better than thou” or “misinformed” lets just say this…. let the one without sins throw the first stone.

Terry
    Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (March 13th, 2017 at 20:54)

Lorina,

Did you leave before or after your baptism and did that make any difference in your relationships?

Warm regards,
    Terry

Carol
      Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (March 13th, 2017 at 22:32)

Terry, I don’t know if Loring will see your question. I am sure that I read that she left before baptism. It may havery been in the newspaper article that they give credit to above.

Comment on Why Lorina Mast Left The Amish (May 15th, 2017 at 13:26)

Hi Terry!
      I left before baptism because I knew it might be more difficult to maintain a relationship with my family had I chosen to become baptised first.
      I would like to think that no matter being baptised or not, my family wouldn’t have pushed me away but I can’t be certain.
      Regardless, I am extremely grateful for their love and support throughout my life.