15 responses to What is Amish Funeral Pie?
    Carolyn
    Comment on Recipe for Snitz Pie, Please? (April 6th, 2018 at 10:57)

Recipe for Snitz Pie, Please?

Would love to see the recipe for Snitz pie too.

Thank you.

Comment on What is Amish Funeral Pie? (April 6th, 2018 at 13:34)

Carolyn here is a recipe which I linked in the text, I don’t know how this stacks up to others, but here you go:

Snitz Pie

1 qt. dried apple slices
      1 1/4 cup sugar
      pinch of salt
      1/2 tsp. cinnamon
      3 drops lemon extract
      Double Pie Crust

Cover dried apples with water and soak over night. Next day cook apples with water they were soaked in until soft, over low heat.

Preheat oven to 425° F.

Put apples through a ricer along with the juice they were cooked in. Add sugar, salt, cinnamon and lemon extract. Put in unbaked pie crust and add top crust.

Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until done.

Comment on Somber pie? (April 6th, 2018 at 10:57)

Somber pie?

It’s interesting to know the history behind this traditional Amish dessert. Although I’m not loathe to eat raisins as my adult children seem to be, I can’t say I’d be likely to call it a “favorite”. It looks (the recipe, too) rather heavy…almost somber. It seems to fit its name!

Comment on What is Amish Funeral Pie? (April 6th, 2018 at 13:36)

I think I’ve had a custard pie with raisins, but not this one. Not sure I’d be a fan, as raisins are fine but I don’t like them that much.

Terry Berger
    Comment on Elsewhere (April 6th, 2018 at 10:59)

Elsewhere

This custom of funeral pie is a very Pennsylvania German tradition. I was raised Penn German in a Brethren church and it’s served there. I also remember it being served at my paternal grandparents’ funerals who were of the German Reformed/UCC tradition. My mom’s variation was a sourcream raisin pie which uses ground raisins instead of stewed ones. If anyone is interested I’m more than happy to share the recipe.

Comment on What is Amish Funeral Pie? (April 6th, 2018 at 13:38)

Terry thanks for mentioning that; I don’t think I’ll be baking it as I’m not much of a baker, but if you wouldn’t mind sharing it, it might be nice to have it on this post for current and future readers who come across this looking for a good recipes. I actually think the sour cream sounds like a nice addition though, I do tend to be a fan of sour cream:)

Cynthia Bliss
      Comment on Sour cream raisin pie (April 8th, 2018 at 22:23)

Sour cream raisin pie

Please give the recipe for this pie.

Terry from Wisc
    Comment on In the kitchen... (April 6th, 2018 at 14:34)

In the kitchen...

Hey Erik, Been wondering where you’ve been recently and was happy to see an email with a new post to read!

An Amish friend who passed away recently loved raisin pie. Often times if we stopped in for a visit raisin pie was served. Now, every time I read about it, or see it, I think of Melvin. His wife just uses stewed raisins for the pie. I found a recipe for a raisin custard pie, made it, and took it along when visiting Melvin and his wife. It was good, but only made it that one time.

The sour cream raisin pie recipe can vary from a baked pie or a cooked custard that is poured into a baked crust and meringue put on top.

How about “Funeral Cake”? Chocolate Chip Date Cake is the recipe we use. Years ago for Mothers Day the local newspaper ran stories and tributes to certain moms. A daughter told the story about her mom that as soon as she got word of a funeral she made that cake..hence the name. So, in our cookbook the recipe went with the title Funeral Cake.

What fun to talk about traditions from different people and parts of the country!

Erik, the B and B offer still stands! 🙂

Comment on What is Amish Funeral Pie? (April 16th, 2018 at 09:19)

Thanks Terry, it is nice to learn about these traditions that you’d otherwise not know much about. I would go for that chocolate chip date cake, except I really am not too fond of dates, too rich for me 🙂 And thanks for keeping this offer on the burner, but be careful because I do actually take people up on these from time to time 🙂

Al in Ky
    Comment on What is Amish Funeral Pie? (April 6th, 2018 at 19:47)

I was raised in a rural Norwegian Lutheran community and a meal was always served after the funeral/burial for everyone who attended the services. The menu depended on the time the funeral was held. Funerals seemed to be either at 11 a.m. or 2 or 2:30 p.m. For an 11 a.m. funeral, a full dinner was served afterwards (meat such as ham or roast beef, potatoes, whole kernel corn, cole slaw, rolls, cake, and coffee/water.) For an afternoon funeral a “lunch” was served which consisted of sandwiches, jello with fruit, cake, and coffee/water. The sandwiches were often made with
    a filling that some called “funeral spread” which was made with ground ham or bologna, mayonnaise and pickle relish, served on rolls.

Ren Semans
    Comment on Tomato Gravy (April 7th, 2018 at 17:59)

Tomato Gravy

My grandfather’s parents spoke only Penn Dutch. This recipe has been handed down to family members. I was surprised when I read the recipe here. It didn’t have real tomatoes in it and used on pancakes!

We’ve always used plain bread as the base, but I think the next time I make it, I will use it on pancakes. Not much difference except in preparing.

Comment on Gravy not sauce? (April 16th, 2018 at 09:16)

Gravy not sauce?

I have seen recipes for “Tomato Gravy” before, always wondered if this is just another name for tomato sauce, or what about it makes it “gravy” and not “sauce”…

Anyway, I must be hungry because whichever it is, this simple meal sounds good right about now 🙂

Terry from Wisc
    Comment on New recipe for Raisin Pie (April 26th, 2018 at 19:35)

New recipe for Raisin Pie

Good evening,
    So, I found a new recipe for raisin walnut pie today! I made it this aft, and the Mrs and I just had to have a taste of it, and thought I better share the good news!

Raisin Walnut Pie
    1 9″ unbaked pie shell
    Filling
    3 eggs
    1 1/2 C light corn syrup
    1/4 C brown sugar
    2 tsp grated orange peel
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp orange extract or vanilla
    1 C raisins
    1 C chopped walnuts.
    Heat oven to 425
    Beat the eggs and add the rest of the ingredients. Pour into the pie shell and bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake an additional 30-35 minutes, or until a knife inserted 1 inch from the edge comes out clean. (Center will be slightly soft, but will set up as it cools.) Serve with whipped cream if desired.

It was just slightly warm when we dug into it and oh my it was gooey delicious! This was way better than the Amish raisin pie I’ve eaten in the past. Give it a try and enjoy!

Comment on What is Amish Funeral Pie? (April 28th, 2018 at 08:04)

Thanks for sharing this recipe Terry. If anybody else tries it, let us know! Other alternative recipes welcome too 🙂

Adam
    Comment on What is Amish Funeral Pie? (June 29th, 2018 at 13:22)

Looks delicious (except I’m allergic to cinnamon).