16 responses to This Amish Family Will Serve You Dinner
    Debbie H
    Comment on This Amish Family Will Serve You Dinner (September 13th, 2017 at 08:29)

I have eaten at a restaurant in Ohio Amish country but I think it was only Amish style not Amish owned. I wish the Amish would start and run some bed and breakfast homes. I would love to experience their day to day rhythm.
    Those pies look delicious.

Comment on Dinner With The Amish (September 13th, 2017 at 09:53)

Dinner With The Amish

It’s conincidental that the subject of meals at or with Amish should come up today…because it was just last Wednesday that my wife and I, along with a friend were invited to dinner with Amish friends of ours. This isn’t an uncommon phenomenon; we have had many meals with this Amish family. And, they’ve had several with us…yes, the whole family at our house – all nine of them.

What a sumptuous meal it was: pizza (homemade by our hostess), noodle casserole, two kinds of salad. And, for dessert four different kinds of pie.

What a time we had: singing, story telling, listening to “harp” music. We not only have meals at each other’s houses, we even visit restaurants with our adult friends. What a good feeling it is to have such great friends from a totally different culture than the “English” one in which we exist.

Comment on This Amish Family Will Serve You Dinner (September 14th, 2017 at 06:07)

Sounds like a wonderful evening Ken. Any meal that includes casserole and pie of just about any sort is going to win in my book.

Just curious, would that be an actual harp or more like a jaw harp? 🙂

Comment on Jaw Harp LOL (September 16th, 2017 at 09:24)

Jaw Harp LOL

I’ve never heard anyone refer to a Harmonica as a jaw harp before. I used to have a Harmonica when I was an Amish kid. That was back in the 1960’s. I grew up in the Ashland, Ohio community. I lived on a farm about a mile north of Shenandoah. I left the Amish in 1969. My grandfather used to own Keim lumber company in Mt. Hope, Ohio.

I have family members that are still Amish, but that lifestyle just wasn’t for me. If I’m not mistaken, One of my nephews, which I have a lot of, runs an electric store in Berlin, Ohio. It’s called Keim Electric. I live in Texas now with my son and his family.

Comment on This Amish Family Will Serve You Dinner (September 16th, 2017 at 12:11)

Hi John, I think we’re talking about two different things (I am no expert on either instrument, just remembered the term when Ken mentioned “harp”). I agree it is a funny name 🙂

Nice to hear from a Keim with Holmes County roots, do you get back to visit much?

The Jew’s harp, also known as the jaw harp, mouth harp, Ozark harp or juice harp, is a lamellophone instrument, which is in the category of plucked idiophones: it consists of a flexible metal or bamboo tongue or reed attached to a frame. The tongue/reed is placed in the performer’s mouth and plucked with the finger to produce a note. Each instrument produces one pitch only, with its multiples (overtones), though different sized instruments provide different pitches. There is no standard pitch.

KimH
            Comment on There's haro and there's harps (September 16th, 2017 at 21:00)

There's haro and there's harps

Ive often heard of harmonicas called harps…and often called mouth harps .. so yes… Pretty common talk.

Carolyn
    Comment on This Amish Family Will Serve You Dinner (September 13th, 2017 at 10:43)

Yes, a group from our church (30 some) went to eat at an Amish family’s home outside of Belleville, PA. The Mr. & Mrs. and their teens served us family style and one of the boys made hand churned ice cream. There was room at the table for all us to sit inside their lovely home. A wonderful evening, but I believe this is by word of mouth and reservations only.

Comment on Amish Family (September 14th, 2017 at 05:21)

Amish Family

Hi Erik,

Although I have not eaten at this restaurant, I have heard wonderful things about it. Even friends who don’t usually go to Grabill are talking about it. It really MUST move to the top of my TO DO LIST.

Comment on This Amish Family Will Serve You Dinner (September 14th, 2017 at 06:08)

I never ate there myself, though I think I knocked on the family’s door while selling books in this community about 10 years ago. Can’t remember if anyone answered 🙂 But good to have it back on the radar if/when I’m in Grabill area again. If you go, let us know how it goes!

J. M.
    Comment on Amish dinners (September 15th, 2017 at 18:49)

Amish dinners

I ate my lunch and dinner with an Amish family most days, during the time of my childhood when they were babysitting me. Very different, very nice. Decades later, I still haven’t had cottage cheese as good as theirs, and only one kind of ice cream that compares.

There’s a town near where I live now that has a lot of Mennonite (old and new order) and a few Amish, and there was a diner that was owned and operated by one of these groups. I was only an adolescent at the time, if that, so I don’t really remember more specific. I remember they had a gift shop upstairs. It was pretty neat, and I’m sad it didn’t last.

Comment on This Amish Family Will Serve You Dinner (September 16th, 2017 at 19:33)

In Lancaster, PA Katy’s Kitchen is a nice small Amish restaurant located a few miles south on Route 30 (Philadelphia Pike). It is south of Rt. 30 on Route 896 heading to Strasburg, PA. Restaurant is on the right just after a small bridge. My last visit, they had a white board with notes. One note said “Prayer is the best wireless connection”

I have an Amish friend that does meals for visitors and tourists.

Dan
    Comment on Staying with the Amish (September 17th, 2017 at 19:03)

Staying with the Amish

There are even some very few Amish families with whom you can stay for one to three nights, for only a small fee and even for a bit longer, if you are lucky and they invite you to do so.

I understand Pennsylvania Dutch quite well and speak it to some extend, even though I do not have an Amish or Mennonite background. I’m also quite familiar with Amish culture and lifestyle through very intense studies.

Last year I stayed for a week with a Michigan Amish family, a weekend with a New Order Amish family in Ohio and another week with a very Amish like Para-Amish group in Kentucky, that has more restrictions on technology than the strictest Old Order Amish, that is no combustion engines at all, only steam engines.

They were all very friendly and helpful and I did not feel odd or as an outsider there. My mother tongue is German and my Christian faith is heavily influenced by conservative Anabaptism.

For a long time I thought it would be impossible to do what I did, but one day I discovered a hospitality directory that made all this possible. I won’t tell which one it was, because these few Amish families for sure do not want to be flooded with visitors.

What I want so say here is that it is possible to stay with Amish families for some time even if you are an outsider.

You just have to learn an enormous amount of knowledge about them (language would be very helpful too) and you must be at least for some time be very adaptable.

I will try to do this again, but the Amish, Old Order Mennonite, Hutterite and Para-Amish groups I plan to visit are not the most conservative ones, but rather “odd” or unusual groups.

One of these unusual, more or or less well known groups, that was mentioned here several times, is the Amish congregation at Unity, Maine, but there are quite a few others.

It is not easy the discover and locate them, but if one tries hard, it is possible!

Carole
    Comment on Dinner in an Amish Home (September 21st, 2017 at 20:43)

Dinner in an Amish Home

I’ve had dinner in an Amish home twice in the Arthur, Il area. Both times were with my church women’s group and our husbands. Arrangements were made by phone through an outdoor phone set up where one left a message and someone returned the call. The Amish women serving us were very reserved and didn’t interact with us very much. I think neighboring women helped the main hostess Once when we were on a bus trip to the Amish area of Ohio. the group of us ate in an Amish home. The hostess was much more outgoing than the Illinois ones. After eating, the three sons of the family sang several songs for us. They weren’t extremely talented, but very enjoyable. All three experiences were good.