83 responses to The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee
    Ann Whitaker
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (June 28th, 2010 at 21:50)

Erik, thank you! After visiting Randolph, MS a few weeks ago, my husband and I are making plans to go to Etheridge. This informative post certainly gives us an idea of the community. Several of the families in Randolph came from Etheridge.

Keep up the good work! 🙂

Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (June 29th, 2010 at 12:53)

Very interesting post – full of knowledge & insight. Love the photos too 🙂

By the way – heard your interviews on the radio & you did a GREAT job.

Pete V
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (June 30th, 2010 at 09:53)

Have you seen this one about amish diversifying their businesses?http://kdka.com/wireapnewsfnpa/For.some.Pa.2.1779050.html

Pete V
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (June 30th, 2010 at 09:53)

Bill
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (June 30th, 2010 at 20:09)

I’d bet at least a few of the Amish of Ethridge get a bit of a chuckle when they see that wagon load of tourists coming down the road in what looks like a travelling “tent revival” meeting. Just having a little fun. 🙂

OldKat
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (July 2nd, 2010 at 08:44)

Interesting that they are pulling that people mover thing with a team of paint horses. Typically I have seen the Amish use darker or plainer colored horses; blacks, dappled grays, bays, chestnuts. Outside their Belgian drafters I have rarely even seen them use sorrels, much less palaminos and paints.

Diane
      Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (February 10th, 2012 at 18:31)

The “tour wagon” is not operated by the Amish. They refer to non Amish as English, so this is an English wagon, ergo the paint horses.

MaryAnne Keough
      Comment on Notan Amish tour wagon (May 4th, 2012 at 12:46)

Notan Amish tour wagon

Just wanted to say that I live here in Ethridgeand the tour wagon is not operated by the Amish. It is a non-Amish (English) tour wagon.

Bill
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (July 2nd, 2010 at 17:37)

OldKat, for some reason I’m pretty willing to bet my whole pile of beans that the “tour bus” is not an amish owned enterprise, which would help to explain the horses in use. 🙂

Lorri
      Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (September 6th, 2011 at 00:34)

Actually,It is not Amish owned.I live in the area,and know a couple of the drivers.It’s a toursy thing.They take people around in the community to buy Amish goods-for a price.A lot of out-of-towners does not know that they can just drive their vehicles to the Amish houses,however,it does bring business to our county.

Comment on Ethridge "Old Order" Amish (September 6th, 2011 at 19:36)

Ethridge "Old Order" Amish

HI, my name is Donna Corbin and I live among the Ethridge “Old Order” Amish. I really admire and respect them and their believes. I deal and do business with them all the time and for the most part you can take whatever they say to the bank. You don’t need their signature on a piece of paper. Every man has his own trade and craft. Makes great neighbors and I never have to raise a garden. Everything I need is just right next door or down the road. Great place to live!

Norma
          Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (October 4th, 2011 at 06:24)

Hi Donna…
          We are going back to Ethridge for another visit this week. We hope to go to the auction there this Saturday,0ct 8…and was wondering if you have any information on it. I have not been able to find out much,except for the date. Anything you could tell me would be much appreciated.
          We were there this past April and loved it! I am out of the jelly and soap and candles I bought then and will definitely stock up this time! thanks

Roy Ethridge
          Comment on thats my name too (October 30th, 2011 at 16:30)

thats my name too

looks a cool place to live

Bamabelle
          Comment on Electricity? (July 11th, 2012 at 09:38)

Electricity?

I saw a few non- Amish houses houses within the community, but no power lines anywhere. Are there underground power lines running to those houses or what?

Kiym
          Comment on Buggy Repair (August 13th, 2012 at 10:52)

Buggy Repair

I am looking for someone to repair an Amish buggy that has been purchased. Is there someone there that does this type of work? if so, how would we go about contacting them?

maggie
            Comment on Buggy repairs (August 21st, 2012 at 13:04)

Buggy repairs

Hello,
            There is a custom buggy maker – Enos E Hostetler on East Eden Road in Ethridge 38456 and another buggy shop at Enos A Yoder’s place on McDowell Road. There is another on Indiana Avenue close to the Buffalo Road end, not sure but I think he is a Gingerich. I don’t have box numbers, but letters may still reach them. Hope this helps.

Pat Moore
              Comment on Hi from Huntsville (August 21st, 2012 at 15:13)

Hi from Huntsville

We were in Etheridge in June We found a place that we hadn’t seen before. It was near the family that usually has a bldg that they sell pasteries & he makes outside wooden furniture. They live near the end of a road, I know you had to turn left to the ladies home. They were selling out of what looked like a detached garage or out bldg. She had produce, jams, jellis, cookies, candies & one of the children even had something they were selling. It was the first time we had seen her place. Hoping to go back after Labor Day. Do you remember or know the name of the road so that we can find her again. She had the best fig preserves. My trees aren’t big enough to produce enough to make preserves or jelly with. Please excuse typos, having trouble with my keyboard. Someone spilled something on it. Thought I had it clean. I love to visit Etheridge and the people are so nice. The gentleman that usually sells canes and his wife’s baked goods has the best sense of humor. Thank you for any info you can send. God bless.

Adair
                Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (August 21st, 2012 at 20:49)

I just got back from a trip through Ethridge – about my 4th. I bet you are referring to the Gingerich family stand; they are so friendly and nice and this last trip we bought some preserves and peanut brittle and a cane and a caned stool from them, then delivered a note to their son across the highway and bought furniture from him, and then went to a woodworker recommended by the son and bought a beautiful bowl. All along the way – delightful conversation and zillions of cute little children. Mr. Gingerich told me he has 108 grandchildren!

maggie
            Comment on buggy repair part 2 (August 21st, 2012 at 21:24)

buggy repair part 2

hello again – I was in Ethridge and stopped at two of the buggy shops – both do repairs. Enos A Yoder is all caught up on his current buggy work and Enos E Hostetler is doing buggy work on Friday and Saturday. Enos E Hostetler is at 74 East Edan Rd in Ethridge, TN 38456 and Enos A Yoder is at 110 McDowell Road 38456.

OldKat
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (July 3rd, 2010 at 09:29)

Bill, I was kinda wondering about it & thinking the same thing. Doesn’t look like anything I have seen the Amish do in any of the communities that I am familiar with do.

Scentsy Bricks
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (July 3rd, 2010 at 13:06)

My wife and I were thinking about visiting Tennessee this summer. I think you just sealed the deal. Thank you

Peggy Craver
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (July 5th, 2010 at 16:37)

I enjoyed your comments on the Amish. Could you send me the name of the family that makes furniture and what road he lives on? I am looking for a cutting board table for my kitchen. Any help you might give, will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Peggy

An Old Soul
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (July 8th, 2010 at 17:03)

My husband and I just returned from our 2nd trip to Amish country in Ethridge, Tn. We love visiting there. I continued to be inspired by their lives and ability to be totally independent of modern conveniences. I find their gentle, kind and caring manner to be impressive. This community has very talented ability and can do almost anything with little. I’m in awe of them!

Lorri
      Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (September 6th, 2011 at 00:38)

I live a few minutes away,and I go there quite often to ride through and relax.I do not know why,but every time I get really stressed from work or things,I can take a trip to Ethridge and it really soothes me.It’s a back in time feeling,hard to explain,but if anyone ever gets the chance to go there,they will see.

Kelly
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (September 30th, 2010 at 12:04)

I lived in a amish town for 2 years and its the 4th largest amish community in the world. People make a big deal over the amish and guawk and stare and it gets old after a while. As a person who lived in a amish town as a non amsih and i know from experience with my amsih friends they just want to be treated as normal people. they are not a side show act or a freak show its just their cutlure and religion. they are normal everyday people who fight with their spouses,have problem children, and alot of them use modern techology but not at their homes or some do but they hid it. I just wish they will be left alone at times. yea tourist are good income for the towns but it gets old when peopel just come to towns just to take pictures of amish.

Robin
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (October 3rd, 2010 at 13:50)

The paints that pull the tourist wagon are not owned by the Amish. The owners are “English”. We went yesterday and the Amish in this community seem to have a number of sorrels and light horses which I believe is due to crosses with their “English” neighbors. It was a nice community on the whole and an enjoyable day.

rusty jackson
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (November 29th, 2010 at 20:51)

Hi, I own a farm in Henryville tenn. which is in Lawrence Co. just at the northern edge of the Amish community. I know quite a few Amish families and can assure you that the Amish are not isolationists and welcome contact with non Amish “english”. I made the mistake when I moved here from Florida by assuming that the Amish avoided contact with the non-Amish world. Get away from the tourist on Hwy. 43 and ride the back roads in northern Lawrence County, look for the little hand painted signs at the end of the driveway, turn in and meet some really nice welcoming people. The Amish want to do business with you and you can find some really cool things from rough sawn lumber to high quality furniture. Check out the fried pies that Mary Yoder cooks, She and her family lives off of the Cambleton Pike. Good luck, rusty

Charles STrong
      Comment on Fried Pies (July 14th, 2011 at 15:17)

Fried Pies

Don’t know who made the pies I ate last Saturday, but we had to turn around and go back to buy more….. They were warm and best I have had since my Mother made them for me.

Billy Garrett
      Comment on Amish Friends (August 14th, 2011 at 14:30)

Amish Friends

As an ex-Greyhound bus driver based in Birmingham, AL, I used to make frequent trips to Nashvillle. Along the way, I had a stop either in Pulaski or right off the interstate at exit 14 (depending on whether it was a day trip or night trip). I always picked up 4 or 5 Amish people, and they were the nicest people. Driving a Greyhound can be quite boring, but I enjoyed the company these Amish people gave to me. There was one in particular, a young man, probably in his 20’s. I made that trip 5 times per week, and picked him up at least once per week. We enjoyed chatting with each other and it made my trip quite short.

June Eubanks
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (December 2nd, 2010 at 12:50)

Three friends and I will be in Ethridge on Dec.6 and 7. We are looking forward to visiting the Amish Community. Some friends drove through the community in early November, but didn’t have much time to do much more than drive through. Should we drive through or take the wagon tour? We are really looking forward to spending time there and hope the weather won’t be too cold.

Jessica Gauger-Johnson
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (December 17th, 2010 at 22:44)

Hya Eric! Wow all those pictures look familiar!…LOL. Thought i’d drop a note since I was out of Tenn visiting family in NC. (Not amish) so it affords me the time to look about before heading back in a few days to rejoin my Amish compadre’s. Dont tell anyone! Love what youve done with the place. Thanks for sending PBS. I will be officially Amish in 2 months, then I’ll be offline for good, well atleast until they tell me the comps ok to keep but, I dont think that’ll happen in the next few centuries. Next time your down come for a visit. Those at Yoders MKT will tell ya how to find me! Take care till then, and may Christs grace and love shine on you always!

Jess

Teresa
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (January 2nd, 2011 at 17:27)

Trying to find someone to build us 2 triple bunk beds…. Are you interested??? & if so how much????

Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (January 11th, 2011 at 22:47)

Hello,
    I met an Amish school teacher many years ago in your community. We developed a great long distance friendship but I have since lost track of her and her family. I believe they relocated to Ohio but can’t be certain. Her name is Lizzie Hostetler and her husbands name is John. I know she had two daughters, the second girl was born with spina bifada. I sent the Shriners to see if they could help them and after that, lost them. Can you help me find her?

Melody Cole
      Comment on John & Lizzie (April 1st, 2012 at 18:55)

John & Lizzie

Hi Carmen,
      I believe I know your Lizzie Hostetler.She is a good friend of mine who I have known for 6 years.Emma just turned 20 last month and is doing well.John and Lizzie have 11 children now,the youngest being two.Lizzie runs a thrift shop while John has his own shop making cabinets & furniture.He also works at a produce auction in the summer.I will let them know that you are trying to get in touch,I’m sure they will be glad to hear that.

Melody Cole
      Comment on Lizzie Hostetler (April 2nd, 2012 at 20:18)

Lizzie Hostetler

Carmen,
      I spoke to Lizzie and she remembers you.She got excited when I mentioned your name.Please contact me if you would like to reconnect with her.

Melody Cole
      Comment on Carmen Hughes (April 30th, 2012 at 16:29)

Carmen Hughes

Can anyone help me locate Carmen Hughes,she is from Jasper, Texas and was trying to locate John and Lizzie Hostetler back in Jan.of 2011.They are anxious to hear from her.Any help would be appreciated!!

Pat Moore
    Comment on Pastries (April 6th, 2011 at 17:58)

Pastries

I used to live in Homestead, FL and we lived near Amish & Mennoite settlements. Every Thursday (that I could) my neighbor & I would go and buy bread (still hot out of the oven), pies, produce when in season. Even went to their stands by the road. I live in N AL and would love to spend the day or weekend in your area. Do you recommend anyone for pasteries, produce and crafts? Thank you for any suggestions. The Amish that I met were all very nice and not stand offish at all. Kathy & I went so often that they knew us when we walked in the door. We always bought extra bread because one loaf would be divided between us and eated on the way home. Also, have visited Lancaster, Bird-In-Hand and the area around there. It was a beautiful area. Thank you again and God be with you & bless you & your family.

Norma Burroughs
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (April 17th, 2011 at 20:23)

We have just returned home from a visit to Ethridge Tn Amish community and it was amazing.
    The Amish were friendly and gracious, and we enjoyed driving around to the different homes and purchasing everything from a mud rug,jams and jellies to a leather belt!
    Although we wanted pictures of them, we respected their preference of no photos. we did however,get some great shots of the homes,gardens and buggies.
    We also visited the Amish welcome center, and enjoyed it as well…but declined the buggy tour as the map was easy to follow to the homes.
    We are planning to go back to Ethridge later this summer.

Comment on Ethridge Amish businesses (April 18th, 2011 at 16:54)

Ethridge Amish businesses

Hi Pat, on pastries and produce,I do not have anyone in particular in mind…there are many produce places, pastries (ie pies) on the other hand can often be found at the same at-home stands that sell produce.

Norma, sounds like a great trip. Ethridge is a very nice community. I don’t have experience with the tours, but the free map which the “Amish Welcome Center” gives out is well worth stopping to get. It’s not terribly common that maps listing Amish businesses are made available, so this is one way Ethridge is more visitor-friendly than your average community.

Lisa
    Comment on Restaurants (May 3rd, 2011 at 08:44)

Restaurants

Any restaurants in the Ethridge area that are Amish-owned? Looking to go on a Saturday and would like to make the most of the day and spend money helping our brothers and sisters in Christ as opposed to those that have the word “Amish” in their business but are not..
    Excellent site!

Norma Burroughs
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (May 3rd, 2011 at 23:41)

Hi Lisa…
    We so enjoyed our visit to Ethridge,Tn. There is a bakery on the main Hwy. There is a small restaurant on the street that runs between the Amish welcome center and the bakery. We did not get to eat there as it was late in the day and they were closed…but we were told that Amish women work there and do the cooking.
    Be sure to get a map at the welcome center to find all homes that sell goodies to take home!

Lisa
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (May 4th, 2011 at 05:47)

Thank you, Norma, we’ll check it out and will be following that map! 🙂

Be blessed,

Lisa

Eric Story
    Comment on How do you become amish? (May 8th, 2011 at 07:25)

How do you become amish?

Hi Eric I like your site it is very neat I did not know where was Amish people In Tenn. Jessica can you tell me how you become Amish
    I am very interested in there way of life how they do things with out electicity and there Religion.

Cindy
    Comment on Memorial Day (May 25th, 2011 at 10:37)

Memorial Day

We are thinking of touring your area this Monday. We have toured the PA area twice and loved it! I am wondering if the horse tours will be operating then? Is there just one horse/buggy tour or others? If so, are any Amish owned or have Amish people giving the tour?

Thanks for any information you can give. We are also assuming that everything will be open for business on Memorial Day?

Thanks

Janette
    Comment on Visiting Amish at Etheredge, TN (May 26th, 2011 at 00:56)

Visiting Amish at Etheredge, TN

We visited Etheredge, TN last summer and are planning to visit there this Saturday. There were several “tour wagons”, and I think all are driven by non-Amish. Our driver was very familiar with the Amish people and gave a great wagon tour, which I recommend. Its a lot more interesting than driving a vehicle from farm to farm. In fact, we had a car and truck that followed our wagon around and stopped every time our driver stopped. He knew where to stop for us to make purchases, and we got out and visited at several farm houses, talking with the people. We purchased canned goods, baskets, etc. that the Amish offered for sale. Our driver was very informative and answered all our questions. A very interesting and enjoyable trip that I recommend to anyone, especially children. We all can learn something from the Amish!

Tony Roseberry
    Comment on Visit to Ethridge (May 30th, 2011 at 14:43)

Visit to Ethridge

Tony Roseberry
    Comment on Visit to Ethridge (May 30th, 2011 at 14:44)

Visit to Ethridge

We visit the Amish Community in Ethridge every year and I can certainly tell you that the horse drawn tourist buggy is definitaly not Amish. Personally I don’t agree with the practice for it is like the Englishers are just gauking at the Amish on the tour wagons, and sometimes the tour guide gives a little to much information about the family. I do though encourage you to visit the community for there you will meet a lot of wonderful people who are nice, friendly and want to be treated just like we do. If you visit the Amish in Pontitoc, MS you will find that they have many relatives in Ethridge. Their community is not as big but they are just as friendly. God Bless and have a wonderful visit. You will enjoy it so much that you”ll want to return every year.

Pat Moore
    Comment on Thank You (July 1st, 2011 at 06:00)

We have really enjoyed our trips to Ethridge, TN and the people are very nice and friendly. I did see a driver that I believe was Amish but he wasn’t driving the tour buggy. It was one of the smaller ones like the Amish use. We got the free map & went to almost all of the homes that were selling things. Delicious bread, (yes I found my pasteries)), cakes, cookies, candles, rungs, baskets, quilts, jellies, jams, veggies. Too numerous to mention. The people were all friendly , Thank you for your suggestions and the area is beautiful. God be with each of you & pray you get a chance to visit this beautiful place & the wonderful people there.

Randee Crosby
    Comment on Buttermilk (July 21st, 2011 at 18:07)

Buttermilk

We’re looking for someone who churns fresh buttermilk and has fresh butter and willing to drive Ethridge to get it.

Thanks

Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (August 8th, 2011 at 14:56)

I have visited Ethridge Tennessee several times. The best thing to do is drive the back roads with the map you can pick up at the Amish Store…It will take several hours to stop and check all the goods out but you will not be dissapointed..The baskets at Mattie Giengirch’s house are outstanding..It is like Christmas going from house to house to find something special and all hand made…Very worth the trip….Oh Yes, don’t forget to take something to eat and drink because there are not many places to stop (if any).

Brooke
    Comment on Amish Store (August 11th, 2011 at 10:33)

Amish Store

I am planning a visit to a few Amish communities in TN. Anyone know where I can buy Amish meat…chicken and beef. Also, fruits, veggies, and such. Thanks:)

Adair
    Comment on Kudzu (September 20th, 2011 at 12:08)

Kudzu

I have very much enjoyed my visits to the Ethridge area. At first I was rather shy about interacting with the Amish, even about making purchases, which seemed to always involve knocking on someone’s door; I felt intrusive.But on my second trip I overcame that shyness and found everyone friendly; bought soap and candy. You mentioned buying a candle “curiously named ‘kudzu'” …Kudzu is a very aggressive vine, originally from Japan, that takes over fields and forests in no time all over the South. You can see it all along the sides of certain stretches of interstate, looking sort of like someone threw a huge green sheet over all the trees and bushes. I certainly didn’t know it had a scent – that’s the nicest thing I’ve ever heard about it! In anoither post about Ethridge, someone mentioned the weeds in the photos; I wonder if that person lives much further north. Weeds grow incredibly fast and vigorously in the South and it’s a never-ending and never-quite-won battle; it’s a jungle down here!

Judy Graves
    Comment on Furniture (October 21st, 2011 at 15:23)

Furniture

Can you please email me someone to contact that would be interested in making me a small writing desk. I have a picture of one that I can send them.
    Thank you for your time.

Jay Wilfong
    Comment on BBQ Sauce Canners? (October 21st, 2011 at 16:43)

BBQ Sauce Canners?

Hello….. I am trying to locate someone who does BBQ sauce bottling to help me keep up with the sale of my BBQ sauce. Do you know anyone there who does or would do this kind of work?
    Thanks.
    Jay

Brittany
    Comment on Quilts (December 11th, 2011 at 13:38)

Quilts

We are planning a trip and I was wondering about prices. I was also wondering about the quilts. I have heard a lot about food but would love to hear about quilts and prices.

Thanks.

Norma Burroughs
      Comment on RE: Quilts in Ethridge (December 11th, 2011 at 14:47)

RE: Quilts in Ethridge

Hi Brittany…
      We have been to Ethridge a couple of times and I am always in search of a quilt! The best way is to ask at each house you stop at,I have never seen one hanging out for display,not to say they don’t, just never seen one. In October when we went I found one for $300…all hand stitched. beautiful green shades. I saw a few others, some machine stitched…the price range I found was 300-400 at the houses.Be sure to take a close look at the baskets too…they are wonderful!
      The shops there out on the highway also sell quilts…but not sure if they are Amish made…I would think not…but very pretty.
      Hope you enjoy Ethridge as much as we do!

Comment on Amish quilt quality question (December 12th, 2011 at 07:26)

Amish quilt quality question

Norma, Brittany sorry to jump in but you piqued my curiosity. The Ethridge Amish quilts you mention seem quite inexpensive compared to prices you’ll see in some other communities. Obviously Lancaster County quilts will be more expensive (and of course it depends where you get them as well).

The more conservative Amish communities often have lower prices on things in general, for different reasons. But I was wondering on the quality level, would you say these Ethridge-area Amish quilts are comparable to other Amish quilts in terms of quality?

Of course, designs can vary too and your more complicated quilt styles will be more costly.

Norma Burroughs
          Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (December 12th, 2011 at 13:34)

Hi Eric…
          I was surprised at the low price on the quilts also.I know it is not unusual to see an Amish quilt priced anywhere from $800 to $2000! But I saw 3 different quilts at 3 different homes in Ethridge and the prices were in the $300-$400 range, sizes being for a full size bed. The hand stitched green one was beautiful…the machine stitched not so much…and the quilts in the Welcome center shop , many were around $100…but I don’t believe them to be made by Amish. Mostly at the homes we found jams,jellies,soap,baskets,among other things….quilts were not in abundance and only a couple of homes offered them on the signs.
          We found the Amish here…not unfriendly, but certainly not outgoing and talkative!! They were polite and gracious. I regret not having many photos of our trips, but I was SO aware of the fact they did not like cameras, I missed out. the ones I do have, however, helps me remember that wonderful community!

I would love to visit the Lancaster Amish, but living on the Gulf Coast, it is a 2 day trip one way! I understand they are quite different from this very conservative group in Ethridge. And Erik, I have to tell you, I have learned so much about the Amish from this site! I love your style and gentle way.

Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (December 13th, 2011 at 12:31)

Wow, thank you Norma! And thank you for sharing a little more on the quilts. I’m no expert on the quilting industry, but I do know they can get spendy.

I think you would definitely find the Lancaster community different. I’m trying to think if there are other sizeable communities near you besides Ethridge, but probably not until you get into Kentucky.

Maggie Austen
          Comment on The Amish of Ethridge Tennessee (June 4th, 2012 at 09:48)

The Amish of Ethridge Tennessee

More on Quilts – it appeared that the quilts in the welcome center are machine made. I found a quilting place north of there with hand made Amish quilts. They sell out of their house or off the porch if the weather is good. There are small white signs ‘quilts’ at the end of their driveway. Just go up and knock on the door. They not only have traditional Amish colors and patterns, but some white appliqued quilts from PA. Obviously hand quilted. Having visited lots of Amish communities in IN, OH and PA, I can say I found their prices to be less than Lancaster’s and less then what I found on the Internet. They are not on the map from the welcome center nor the tour wagons. They are very knowledgeable about this community and give great directions to places not on the map.

Norma Burroughs
            Comment on Hi Maggie! (June 4th, 2012 at 10:36)

Hi Maggie!

We are planning another trip to Ethridge in October for the auction and the yard sale that runs from Hwy 43 just above Ethridge at Summertown to Hohenwald. Could you please give a bit more detail on where this home is located? Is it on Hwy 43 just north of the Welcome center or further? Any info you could give will be greatly appreciated. We love visiting Ethridge and I am always looking for a quilt.

Maggie Austen
              Comment on The Amish in Ethridge Tennessee (June 4th, 2012 at 11:24)

The Amish in Ethridge Tennessee

Hello Norma – The house is about one mile from the welcome center on the left. It sits back from the road. There is a board and post fence and a big green metal building next to it, the house has a green roof (I think). The consignment auction in October is fun – loads of things there and just a neat day.

Maggie Austen
              Comment on The Amish in Ethridge Tennessee (June 4th, 2012 at 11:26)

The Amish in Ethridge Tennessee

Hello Norma – Forgot to answer your question more directly. Yes, it is on Highway 43 N about one mile north of the Welcome Center.

Norma Burroughs
                Comment on Thanks maggie! (June 4th, 2012 at 14:45)

Thanks maggie!

We will certainly seek out this house…It is a shame to sit and wish your life away, but I sure wish October would hurry and get here! We have already made our reservations and can hardly wait to go.My one regret is that I am not bold enough to take pictures as I see others do when we are there. I take mine of the barns and fields and horse and buggies….and not the people.
                Again, thank you for this information.

Comment on Don't Use Plain and Simple Quilts (April 21st, 2014 at 18:48)

Don't Use Plain and Simple Quilts

I send my two small quilt tops off in May 2013 to have them quilted in the ditch and received back quilting that was 4 stiches per inch (extremely low quality) and the quilt top in one instance had to be destroyed. The quilts smelled. It was a horrible experience. Advised you would not use them.

Dana
    Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (January 21st, 2012 at 12:31)

From the Gulf Coast of AL (Gulf Shores area), it should only be about 7 hours drive to Ethridge. I live a couple of counties east of there. It takes us 6 hours of driving to get to the Gulf. Definitely not a two day trip. Hope that helps!

Causie Crane
    Comment on bulk food store (February 10th, 2012 at 18:51)

bulk food store

Is there a bulk food store near Ethridge like there is around most Amish communities?

cheyenne
    Comment on like (April 10th, 2012 at 08:29)

this is a good statement aabout the amish

Doug from N Alabama
    Comment on The map needs updating (April 10th, 2012 at 21:56)

The map needs updating

My wife and I were in Ethridge last week, and we picked up the map at the Amish Store. I drove, she navigated 🙂 We found places not listed on the map. For example, there are no places listed for Gingerich Lane. Fannie Gingerich makes fried pies that are fantastic, and we are very glad that we found her!

-Doug

Susan
    Comment on From North Alabama as well (April 11th, 2012 at 13:01)

From North Alabama as well

I live in North Alabama and feel lucky to have a great Amish community an hour and a half from my house! I have been to the community numerous times but took the “wagon tour” the last time. Our driver gave us little or no info on the Amish. I prodded him with questions and that was the only way we got much out of him. He did say he was working for someone else that day and did not normally do the tours, but I was really disappointed and felt like a major tourist! I would really recommend you just get a map from the Welcome Center and go at your own pace. (or just drive around…you will see the handmade signs easily) Just be careful and don’t drive too fast! On previous visits I have had friendly conversations with the Amish and even got to explain what Girl Scouts were to one lady! Nice nice time. Perhaps next time I visit I will get some pictures to share….I am just so aware of their desire to not be photographed that I just don’t feel comfortable even from the road. I always feel respectful visiting and even try to tone down my clothing when I go. LOL As a dream job, I would love to have been an anthropologist who really learned about the Amish (as well as other atypical communities in the US) and not just a tourist….of course I feel this way most anywhere I visit!! If anyone knows of any Amish who would like to correspond (via snail mail of course) I would be very interested!

Oh and I have never been to another Amish community personally so I do not have anything to compare Ethridge to. =))

Pat Moore
      Comment on Other Amish Communities (June 4th, 2012 at 15:38)

Other Amish Communities

Awhile back we went to Lancaster, PA, Hand-in-Pocket and another area but I forgot the name. I’ll remember after I get off computer. There are a lot of differences but the Amish in Etheridge are the Old Order Amish, one of the oldest old orders. However, I have found them to very friendly, a great sense of humor & like you I won’t take pictures. We try to go several times during spring & summer. I have favorite places I love to visit & some of them are beginning to recognize me when I arrive. Especially since we usually buy a lot of baked goods to bring home for the family & grandchildren. I prefer to get a map & just drive around. That way you can go at your own pace. I truly admire the Amish & that they stay true to their faith & culture.

Norma Burroughs
        Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (June 4th, 2012 at 20:55)

We would like to visit Pa and Oh Amish communities too. But from the Mississippi Gulf Coast it would be a 2 day drive for us, one way. I suppose we could push it and make it without stopping, but we are retired and it would just be too much to drive straight thru.

However, we are satisfied visiting Ethridge. We usually take 2 days just to drive around the community and “shop”.We also like the Welcome Center, and the lady that owns it, Diane is very sweet and helpful, and I always find goodies there too!

When we were there last October there was an Amish man set up outside selling baskets. I had to have a couple of baskets! and also a young girl selling jellies and baked goods.

Doug from N Alabama
    Comment on Upsetting news (May 2nd, 2012 at 16:47)

Upsetting news

Police have arrested an 80-yr-old man from Pulaski, TN on charges that he sexually assaulted male and female juvenile members of the Amish community in Giles County. He has been charged with sexual battery and aggravated burglary, and could face additional charges as the investigation is ongoing. Maurice Dale “Jimmy” McAllister was booked into the Giles County Jail on $250,000 bond.

Doug from N Alabama
    Comment on Veggies! (June 4th, 2012 at 21:10)

Veggies!

Crops are starting to come in… We’ve been getting lettuce, onions, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, squash, cucumbers, etc in addition to milk, butter, buttermilk, sour cream, bread and of course fried pies. We hardly buy anything at the grocery store because there is so much to get in Ethridge. We feel so lucky! We have been meeting some very friendly Amish folk there… once they know you they are more open. We drive up every week, sometimes more than once. Such a beautiful area.

-Doug

Amy
    Comment on Amish tradition (July 3rd, 2012 at 16:43)

Amish tradition

My family is thinking about visiting July 5-6. I am very interested in the Amishes traditions and ways of life. Can you give me any insight. Is it true they do not like people to take pictures of them? Do they mind if you take pictures of their houses and landscapes?

lynette
      Comment on wonderful people and place is awesome! (July 6th, 2012 at 14:01)

wonderful people and place is awesome!

We were in Etherige this week for a return visit ! We always love to teach our sons about other religions and a tollerence for the differences and others preferences of the way they worship and live ! It is as if you stepped back in time to a simpler way of living . We have grown to love our visits there and appreciate the craftsmanship and effort that the Amish people put into their work ! And believe me it is work !! they are a kind folk and very accomodating ! if you take the time to talk to them they will be as helpful as possible . JUST BE RESPECTFUL OF THEIR BELIEFS. We buy produce and bread and pies and soaps and air fresheners and baskets and even rocking chairs from them and all we have gotten is wonderful ! Really makes you think about your next trip to the supermarket and where that food comes from !!! Go visit and make some friends !

Pat Moore
      Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (July 8th, 2012 at 10:36)

Yes, its true they do not like their pictures taken. Its against the Ordung. Before you make any pictures of their home or barns, ask them if its okay. The ones that I have met are extremely nice and if its permissible about their farms, homes, etc they will let you know. They are really nice, have a great sense of humor and get a map at the bldg that has the buggy rides & wagons. They give them to you free. Then just follow the signs. We are planning on going back in a couple of weeks.

John Broyles
    Comment on Mr. (July 6th, 2012 at 18:41)

Mr.

I was in Ethridge today at the Amish Community, we bought some homemade soap that smells just like baby powder, can I buy it online? Their jellys and jams are great also.

John Broyles
    Comment on Mr. (July 6th, 2012 at 19:02)

Mr.

I Visited the Amish community in Ethridge and while I was there I bought some handmade soap with a baby powder smell, can I buy this online?

John

Lattice
      Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (July 8th, 2012 at 14:47)

No you cannot, at least not the exact kind made from that Amish family in Ethridge. I don’t know of any of them who take internet orders. But you may usually send them an order by mail. Most of the ones who sell things from their homes will have their family name and address on something that they gave you.

MaryAnne
        Comment on baby powder soap (July 9th, 2012 at 12:51)

baby powder soap

If you remember where you bought it I may be able to help you. I live here in Ethridge.

Doug from N Alabama
    Comment on That was interesting! (July 9th, 2012 at 13:27)

That was interesting!

My wife and I were driving south on 43 this past Saturday. Between Ethridge and Lawrenceburg we saw an Amish buggy heading north that had a new plastic kayak strapped to the top. I can’t imagine where he’s going to use it!

The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee 2 Trackbacks / Pingbacks

• The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee Link

The Amish of Munfordville, Kentucky | Amish America Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (September 27th, 2010 at 03:04)

[…] produce auction at Munfordville, like the one at the Amish community at Ethridge, Tennessee, provides an outlet for Amish and others to sell their vegetables and […]

• The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee Link

David Crockett State Park | Green Cabins | Family Downtime Comment on The Amish of Ethridge, Tennessee (January 4th, 2011 at 10:48)

[…] 3.5 hours away in what I call the Utopian Zone of Tennessee, near Hohenwald and The Farm and the Amish settlement of Ethridge. The park sits among hilly woods (or wooded hills?) and has a fishing lake, a picturesque creek, a […]