7 responses to The 4 Western States With An Amish Population (2018)
    Comment on The 4 Western States With An Amish Population (2018) (October 11th, 2018 at 10:13)

It’s interesting to me to learn about how the Amish in particular feel the need to set up communities in areas far from other Amish communities. They are true pioneers. I am interested in learning how they fare in coming years. I find the whole idea of their moving West to be a modern day adventure of a people who are traditionally known to be “in the world but not OF the world”. It’s gotta be difficult.

Comment on Amish in the West (October 11th, 2018 at 11:05)

Amish in the West

Good thoughts Alice Mary, I think the natural beauty of the West draws some Amish to want to live there…it’s not uncommon that Amish from the East and Midwest take trips West when they are adolescents and early 20s for sightseeing or hunting. No doubt some return with the idea of wanting to make a home in some of the beautiful locations they’ve visited.

One big challenge though is having enough other Amish people around or close enough, especially when children grow older and need to find potential spouses.

That was one of the reasons for the end of the Washington community I mentioned at the end of the post. Here’s what Vernon Yoder said in the article:

‘“It’s paradise here,” Yoder said. “It’s going to be hard to leave it. But it’s for our families’ sake. We’ve got to do it if we’re going to keep our family together. That’s one of the most important things in life.”

The main problem, he said, is that some of their children are growing up and need to find mates who share their religion and background. Those who are leaving are all part of Yoder’s immediate and extended family.’

As to gauging the long-term survivability of a fledgling Amish community, I imagine someone could probably work out a formula giving odds of survival factoring in things like size of the community, age of members, and distance to other Amish.

Al in Ky
    Comment on The 4 Western States With An Amish Population (2018) (October 11th, 2018 at 20:15)

I enjoyed reading this post about Amish in 4 Western States. I also enjoy reading reports in The Budget newspaper from scribes in each of the 4 states. There are lots of reports of hunting of wild game animals, as well as many reports of Amish visitors coming to visit from Midwest and Eastern states.

In a recent issue of The Budget, one of the Montana scribes reminisced about the beginning of the Amish in Montana in the Rexford settlement in the 1970’s. They stated that in the early years, three Amish men bought a 27,000 acre ranch and “That was pioneering in the real sense of the word…” and “From that beginning we have spread out in settlements all across the Northwest…”.

I agree with you, Erik, that I think the next Western state for Amish to again settle is Washington. Eastern Washington is not far from Western Montana.

• Wow 27,000 acres, I don’t know how that fares size-wise as far as your typical ranch out West goes, but sounds like a huge amount of land. So I’d suppose later settlers probably have purchased land sectioned off from this original parcel.

Interesting you agree on Washington state, it reminded me of this post from a few years ago…I did not include Washington but maybe it would be a good time to do another one of these. None of my predictions (NH, ND, UT, AL, AK) have seen Amish settlements in the three years since: http://amishamerica.com/five-new-states-where-amish-may-settle/

Roger
    Comment on The 4 Western States With An Amish Population (2018) (October 12th, 2018 at 05:28)

The Montana settlement is particularly interesting to me since that state has traditionally been home to the Hutterites, another German-speaking Anabaptist denomination that nonetheless has a completely different manner of living. I developed my own fascination with their culture after meeting a group from one colony while on a vacation to western Montana many years ago. It doesn’t seem like the Rexford settlement is close by to any of the colonies, but nonetheless wonder if there has been any interaction among them.

Comment on Amish and Hutterite interaction (October 12th, 2018 at 12:42)

Amish and Hutterite interaction

Roger a few years ago we had a series of posts here on Hutterite life by Linda Maendel, who belongs to a Hutterite colony in Manitoba. The question of Amish/Hutterite interaction came up at one point on a post on Amish in South Dakota; here’s what Linda wrote:

‘Amish/Hutterite Interaction

Yes, Amish and Hutterites do interact. I know Hutterites who have Amish pen pals and there has been some visiting as well. There are many Hutterite colonies in South Dakota, so it’s likely that there would be a colony or two in that county.’

Not about Montana specifically but hopefully that’s of interest. Here’s the original comment thread:

ADalton
    Comment on The 4 Western States With An Amish Population (2018) (October 13th, 2018 at 23:01)

Very interesting! I had no idea there were Amish in Wyoming and Montana. Would be nice to visit those communities someday.
    I also noticed that the Saint Ignatius community is on the Flathead Reservation. I am curious to know how well they get along with the local Native Americans.