11 responses to Should License Plates Be Required On Amish Buggies?
    Comment on Should License Plates Be Required On Amish Buggies? (September 1st, 2017 at 13:02)

Within the last couple of years on a visit to the Shipshewana, IN area, we met a young Amish buggy maker (married, in his 20’s, with one child then) who told us about the license plates there. I can see how metal-wheeled buggies can do damage to roads (such as in Pennsylvania) but the folks on tour with me thought that manure was more of a problem there. To me, $36 is an outright bargain for license plates(I pay $110 in IL) and well worth paying if the funds actually do go for road maintenance.

I’d be interested in how (and who) keeps roads in Amish areas free of manure. (My mother, back in Chicago in the 1950’s & ’60’s, would shovel up manure left by the “rag man’s” horse who traversed the alley next to our house, and apply it to her postage-stamp size garden. Neighbors would often cross the street to avoid the “aroma”.)

• Hmm. Well manure on roads is a complaint in some places. I’m not aware that there is typically someone who would clean it up. Non-Amish locals in some cases don’t like it and ask for Amish to handle the problem via things like horse diapers. I haven’t heard of them being used much though, Amish generally don’t like the idea as you might expect. Recently this was an issue in Kentucky: https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-horse-diapers-and-freedom-of-religion-collide-1485007200

Comment on No license plate required (September 3rd, 2017 at 09:04)

No license plate required

Its a FARCE & common THIEVERY forcing license plates on horse & buggies

Comment on Alternative to buggy plates? (September 3rd, 2017 at 13:26)

Alternative to buggy plates?

If it were up to me I’d not push this on the Amish, but I can see the argument for trying to collect if it’s going to be used for maintenance and they’re saying that Amish traffic contributes to the need for that maintenance.

If it’s about money, a better solution might be to just try to collect funds from the Amish by other means perhaps by asking them to contribute (for instance, Amish in Holmes County, OH created a fund for road upkeep – http://www.co.holmes.oh.us/county-home-documents/engineer/636-brochure-funding-and-spending-information/file), rather than going the tag-the-buggy route.

AJ
    Comment on Should License Plates Be Required On Amish Buggies? (September 4th, 2017 at 17:42)

Seems like another money-fishing scheme. The chemicals and speeds of cars and trucks are far more damaging to roads than a horse and buggy. Just visit Lancaster vs Philadelphia/Chester for a comparison. The Amish did not ask for roads to be paved in the first place. They were paved for the people driving motor vehicles, not horse and buggy. So if anyone needs to fork over the money to pay for man-made roads, than that should be the people who need them.

Another thing, horses aren’t a motor vehicle. Requiring plates for them is concerning. What’s next? Registering bikes and baby strollers?

Al in Ky
    Comment on Should License Plates Be Required On Amish Buggies? (September 7th, 2017 at 12:15)

Yes, I think that all states should require buggies (Amish or non-Amish) used on roads to have license plates. Revenue from sales of license plates should be used for road maintenance.

There is an interesting article in the June 27,2017, edition of the Washington (In.) Times Herald entitled, “Amish Community Looks for Ways to Get More Paved Roads.” It seems like the Amish community is proactively cooperating with the Daviess County, Indiana, government in addressing the issue of newly-paved roads showing damage from horseshoes.

Al in Ky
    Comment on Should License Plates Be Required On Amish Buggies? (September 7th, 2017 at 12:17)

I should have added that it seems like the current cost for license plates for buggies in Daviess County, Indiana, is $60 each.

• Interesting, Al. Quite a bit more for those plates than what they’re suggesting in Lancaster County, and Daviess County doesn’t exactly have a lot of paved roads. Maybe the tarring/watering or whatever the method is that they periodically use to keep dust down, is expensive.

Merilee Nicely
    Comment on States Looking for Revenue (September 12th, 2017 at 12:06)

States Looking for Revenue

I worked for a State for 32 years. They are always looking for revenue. I worked for the Dept of Revenue. I don’t think the buggies do much damage to the roads but as a person who worked two jobs in order to support my children I also worked as an Emergency Medical Tech. I think they should be required to have battery operated lights on the buggies for safety especially at dusk/dawn and at night. That should be a requirement.

Merilee Nicely
      Comment on Continued from my last comment (September 16th, 2017 at 09:07)

Continued from my last comment

Something I left out of my previous comment is that I think it should be against the law for the buggies and horses to be on the road after dusk/dark. It scares the horses and thereby could cause an accident harming the rider of the horse and/or buggy the occupants of the motor vehicle or the life of the wonderful animals that pull these buggies. I know this will not be looked upon favorable with the Amish especially if they attending evening worship at their church. Maybe they could work out some other way so not to have the buggies on the road at night.

Anonymous
        Comment on Horses Scared of Dark? (September 18th, 2017 at 05:53)

Horses Scared of Dark?

I’ve been around horses all my life and have frequently been riding or working with horses after dark. I don’t know where you get the idea they are scared of the dark! Their eyesight is far better than ours in the dark and my experience with horses leads me to consider your statement uninformed.