15 responses to PA Court: Amish Family Must Connect to Electric-Powered Sewer System
    Debbie H
    Comment on church and state (January 9th, 2018 at 10:40)

church and state

I think this is a bad decision by that community. I imagine the Amish have back flashes to the beginning of their formation when the government took over religious beliefs and practices. This is a slippery slope. Compromise is always the best solution. Where are the big guns of equal rights and freedom of religion? Where are those vocal voices that stand up for Muslims, Buddhist and other religions who protest the states interference?
    Off my soap box now. 🙂

Comment on Appalled at the ruling of this judge. (January 9th, 2018 at 11:11)

Appalled at the ruling of this judge.

The judge referred to cases to verify his ruling but does maybe the other cases were not OLD ORDER AMISH. I know Old Order do have plumbing in their homes, however, it is against their religion to have electricity.
    Why is the court using their power to try an change Amish beliefs.

I’m sorry the Yoder’s had to endure this for 5 years. I understand where they stand so why doesn’t the Judicial System? Shame on the Judge.

I love the Amish and their beliefs and customs, don’t ruin such a beautiful thing for them.

Comment on PA Court: Amish Family Must Connect to Electric-Powered Sewer System (January 9th, 2018 at 11:58)

This court decision reflects the continual erosion of constitutional”guaranties” and double standards enacted by oppressive biased authority legislating from the bench and local government.Judicial watch should rally behind their right to live free and insure proper accommodations for a feasible environmental solutions. Government only bends over backwards for selective cultures.

Comment on Reply to myself addendum to previous post (January 9th, 2018 at 12:03)

Reply to myself addendum to previous post

A gravity fed septic system will be more than sufficient and would actually benefit ecosystem

Comment on PA Court: Amish Family Must Connect to Electric-Powered Sewer System (January 9th, 2018 at 13:01)

Bad ruling! I hope the others in this community speak up and speak out, as it will affect them all. They may need to move, if only to a township not covered by this ruling. YES, where are those who are outraged when OTHER religions find their beliefs challenged in this country with our so-called freedom of religion?

How would this ruling apply to the English who are increasingly going “off the grid” if only to save their energy dollars? Will THEY be ordered to connect to the grid (for the same purpose as the Amish mentioned here) and not rely solely on their solar-generated power? Does this sound like Big Brother to you, as it does to me?

We should get BEHIND the Amish on this one, so that we are not all UNDER the changing whims of the government!

Like Debbie H, I, too, am stepping off my soapbox now!

Curry
    Comment on Need more information (January 9th, 2018 at 13:19)

Need more information

Given that the Amish have more likely than not been living in that area and that specific community – nine churches – far longer than the sewage system has been in place, I am led to wonder what it took to get that sewage system put into that particular location where it was known that the Amish had long been residing, and, knowing that such “improvement” would clash with the ways of the “Old Amish”. And, who blew the whistle and why? If no harm was being done by the existence of a single, old outhouse, what happened to “live-and-let-live”?

• Good questions, I can only say as to the first point, it looks like this community has been in the area since 1969. See: https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/1811/57700/JAPAS_Donnermeyer_Luthy_vol1-issue2_pp107-129.pdf?sequence=1

It’s quite possible that the Amish expanded to purchase land abutting the sewer system rather than the other way around, can’t really say from the information I’ve been able to find in the media on this case.

As to your other points, I’d agree that if there is really no potential for harm here, an alternative solution would be preferable. Sometimes these issues are driven by behind-the-scenes conflicts that the media-consuming public is unaware of – clashes between Amish and non-Amish ways can lead to dislike of the Amish. Generally where there is goodwill, solutions and compromise can be found. I suspect that in this case it is lacking for whatever reason.

By: david clarence.
    Comment on No Land Title - No Private Rights! (January 9th, 2018 at 17:35)

No Land Title - No Private Rights!

The problem here, is not a utility issue. The Problem is that a “Deed” to “Real Estate” is NOT a Land Title. It is a License for a Foreigner to Temporarily Occupy NOT To Own and It does NOT Confer “Title” – PERIOD! Read the Real Estate Section in the original 1776 Pennsylvania Constitution and See for Yourself.

Pennsylvania has a Land Office and that Office Issued Tens if not Hundreds of Thousands of “Land Patents”. Lawyers, Tricked us into Recording our land as real estate, and thereby we volunteered to surrender our True Land Ownership. If you want an Eye-Opener, obtain a copy of a Pennsylvania Land Patent from the Pennsylvania Archives in Harrisburg and Read It for Yourself. Therein, the Commonwealth “Surrenders” almost All Claims to the Land, and under Patent Ownership [NOT Registered nor Recorded with the County], government Cannot Regulate use nor tax the land – Period!

By; schroll, david clarence.

Comment on To schroll (January 9th, 2018 at 18:18)

To schroll

Is there anyway for this Pa. family to officially reverse said real estate classification and change it to land title? Or is land title or patent granted on a restrictive basis to U.S. citizens.obviously written to address influx of settlers for that time period I’ve never heard of land available without being tethered to any gov. oversight or taxation

By: david clarence.
      Comment on This Family Already Owns Actual "Title" to the Land! (January 10th, 2018 at 09:39)

This Family Already Owns Actual "Title" to the Land!

They Just Haven’t Claimed as “Assign’s” to the Original Land Patent. The U.S. Bureau of Land Management, “NEVER” Issued one of their defective land patents, in Any of the Original former Colonies, because Only a Nation Can Issue a True Land Patent – “Conferring Actual “Title” to the Land. That “fact” is but one Proof that Pennsylvania, just as “ALL” of the other 49 states are Sovereign Nations! Pennsylvania, has a Land Office. It is located in the Forestry Building in Harrisburg. It took one many trips and 9 months to find it, in 2003. One-here, has been studying land patents for over 18 years.

In response to one-their’s question – No, a U.S. Citizen is a foreigner to EVERY nation-state, just as stated in this Constitution for the United States of America. “Article I, Section 2, paragraph 2.”

By: schroll, david clarence. countynotary@gmail.com

Markus
    Comment on PA Court: Amish Family Must Connect to Electric-Powered Sewer System (January 9th, 2018 at 18:32)

I want to know what happens in a major natural disaster when people’s systems do not even work? Does that person have to appear in court at a certain time to address their crime of not being “modern” enough because they can’t fix their sewage problems in time?

I agree with Judge Patricia 100%. There are other ways of disposing sewage, not just the way these judges believe. The Amish do well even with traditional sewage disposal ways. They aren’t dying like flies from malaria or other diseases.

Margaret
    Comment on Hook up and don’t use (January 10th, 2018 at 13:10)

Hook up and don’t use

Amish rides in cars is not a reason to enforce our belief system on them. Those drivers are HIRED. Bishops decide if a man can use powered tools in his place of business NOT THE HOME. And many homes have diesel powered appliances of one sort or another.

Forcing them onto the grid is intrusive. It’s the government coming into our homes telling us how we may live. I get some choices may sound old fashioned to some and other choices outrage folks…but if we have freedom of religion in this country then we need to buttout.

I hope this family appeals this to SCOTUS.

Richard
    Comment on Amish (January 10th, 2018 at 19:18)

Amish

The judge is just wrong. I wish all my neighbors were Amish and I would not care if they had an outhouse. The Amish believe in God, right and wrong, they help each other as well as us outsiders. I admire their ways, something I could not do. God Bless all Amish.

Sheila N
    Comment on Amish family and (January 19th, 2018 at 16:37)

Amish family and

The judge has his pockets lined for $. This is ridiculous -The Amish have lived in PA longer than he has been a judge. Courts have no right to tell The Amish people/lifestyle and religion how to live. Forcing electrical hook up is wrong and I’m sure it is all about the Power company and Judge somehow pushing this issue. I hope a very good law firm steps in to help this family. The Keystone state is “Common Wealth” for the good of all the wealthy Friends and Family” And NOT ALL People. Just what I’ve seen since I’ve lived here.