11 responses to New York Towns Want State To Require Buggy Markings
    Maureen
    Comment on Draft Horses (July 10th, 2018 at 09:20)

Draft Horses

William, if you asked me to guess, I would have said the Belgian; it is the favorite here. The my all time best ever horse was a Belgian named Martin. There are more cross breeds in this area; American cream, Percheron, Clydes, etc., and of course your outstanding Belgian. The “draft horse” – such a special, magnificant creature – the horse that loves to please. Smart too! It’s back to work tomorrow! working with two standard breds [auction] for buggies. They’re especially lucky, Abrahm’s wife Hazel makes all their horses corn bread for a treat! And Hazel makes the BEST corn bread in the Mohawk Valley! Thanks William for making the draft the best; Belgian’s are sure that!

• Maureen I think this comment landed on the wrong post 😉 I’m guessing you meant to share this on the Horse Progress Days post.

Maureen
        Comment on Wrong Post (July 10th, 2018 at 10:20)

Wrong Post

Erik, it’s good to see you!

Thank you. And yes you’re correct. Can you delete it? Someone here was kind enough to. correct it for me.

Adam
    Comment on New York Towns Want State To Require Buggy Markings (July 10th, 2018 at 09:27)

I would like to know the Amish communities opinion before I give mine. Are these folks okay with some sort of safety implement, if so, what? My brother used to live in Geauga County (his wife is from Ohio). I’m not sure I remember the markings on the buggies there (or, if they had them). A little off-topic, but for some reason, I’ve seen Amish in Pennsylvania, Iowa (the state I was born in, so it’s been a while), Ohio, and New York (I’m a little surprised Indiana isn’t on that list, given how many times I’ve been there), for some reason, the ones in New York stick out to me.

• Adam these are Swartzentruber Amish which generally permit only very minimal markings (usually just a certain length of reflective tape around the back outline of the buggy, plus a single lantern hung on the side). They are very resolute about this on the whole.

Recently one group of Swartzentruber Amish (Lodi OH) adopted the unusual arrangement which I mentioned in the post above. They are the most resistant to change so this was rather remarkable.

I wouldn’t really expect this Heuvelton group to budge much, however the Lodi example shows maybe there is an alternative that would be palatable to other Swartzentruber people (though there are different subgroups within the Swartzentrubers as well, which complicates things).

Comment on Stubbornness or religious freedom? (July 10th, 2018 at 11:39)

Stubbornness or religious freedom?

I have always found it ironic for Swartzentruber Amish to play the “religious freedom” card when it comes to safety and obeying (accepting) laws made by their own local or state or national governments. I recall Amish communities stating the bible says they/we are to obey the government. Yet the safety (lives) of their own people as well as those of other religions (Englisch) don’t seem to play into their reasoning at all. It seems more like outright stubbornness. Do they care about the lives of those in conveyances other than buggies? If not, why not?

Perhaps they can find a place to move to where safety on the road isn’t important to either side. I wonder where that is?

James gas
    Comment on Wow. Big Brother reigns. (July 10th, 2018 at 12:52)

Wow. Big Brother reigns.

Let them alone. I realize this is the state of NY with a liberal progressive on every corner who wants to control your life…banning whole milk in school is but one example. Pass a whole bunch of laws aimed at the Amish and they will leave along with the rest of us!

Comment on Amish buggy markings (July 10th, 2018 at 18:58)

Amish buggy markings

Seems to me these Amish are “cutting off their own nose to spite their face” as the saying goes. Why would anyone object to safety features that could avoid an accident and might save the lives of members of their family some night? I have visited Lancaster County, PA many times and their buggies are distinct at night, and in fact, some of the young men put extra tape or features on the back of their buggy. Car drivers in America are required to have insurance, certainly lights, licenses (car and driver), signals for turns, and a road worthy vehicle, why can’t a state require these Amish to at least adhere to reasonable regulations or, if they do not comply, keep them off the roads?

Yoder in Ohio
      Comment on New York Towns Want State To Require Buggy Markings (July 11th, 2018 at 14:13)

I’ll agree with you Nancy. My buggy is equipped with headlights, tail-lights, turning signals, two-way lights on the side, a flashing orange light in the center of the top, 4 led lights along the top of the front, an SMV emblem and reflector tape. I do this not just for my own safety but for the safety of others on the road. I do feel it would be a wise idea for all buggies to be clearly visible and i believe it is our duty to be safe. No one wants to hit a buggy and injure or kill the passengers but I also don’t want to be responsible for someone wrecking because they swerved to avoid me because they did not see me (my buggy) and cause an accident that way.

Alice Mary made some very good points also.

Nicholas
    Comment on Citizens? (July 11th, 2018 at 22:37)

Citizens?

I’m not sure what to make of Frary referring to “the Amish and our own citizens.” I’m wondering if he and others are viewing the local Amish as not a part of their community and if that has any bearing on the push for “better marked buggies.”

Linda K Chaney
      Comment on Safety on the Road with buggies (August 27th, 2018 at 20:24)

Safety on the Road with buggies

We lived in Jefferson County, NY for over twenty years and are now living in Mio, Michigan. Both areas have a significant Amish population. In NY I had a near collision on the Honey Flats Rd in Lafargeville NY. It was a moonless night and I was making a right hand turn onto Honey Flats and missed a buggy by inches as there were no markings at all on that vehicle! Can’t express the horrid feeling it gave me and it also angered me as if I hadn’t missed this buggy and killed the horse and driver this would of given me nightmares for the rest of my life. No markings is a crime as far as I’m concerned and the NY Amish community should not be allowed on the roads at dusk, dark and early dawn or when visibility is limited.
      The Michigan Amish have no such issues as their buggies are very well marked and they apparently care for their lives and ours and have taken steps to keep all safe. If the NY Amish resist than their privilege should be taken away of driving at night as they are a blatant hazard.`