83 responses to Missouri Amish Communities
    Comment on Missouri Amish (October 21st, 2010 at 10:46)

Thanks, Erik, I’m in MO and it’s nice to read about the settlements around here. I’ve noticed quite a difference between say Jamesport and Bowling Green with how they view tourism. Jamesport (and even though it’s “LARGE”, every direction they give there is in reference to the four-way stop (which cracks me up), so it’s pretty small) seems to enjoy the tourism and does promote it, but Bowling Green doesn’t seem to at all. The town square is pretty empty and all the cars seemed to be around the Mexican restaurant. LOL! The people are very friendly in both though. There’s also a community outside Jefferson City (near Versailles, MO) but it seemed like a mostly Mennonite town, but there were plenty of horse and buggies there. Haven’t made it to Seymour yet. Thanks for the great info ~

Joe
      Comment on Ordering. (November 18th, 2011 at 22:07)

Ordering.

I would like to order a catalog from the Amish in the Ozarks that has food, remindes & house hold stuff.

tiffany rangier
        Comment on Amish Communities in Missouri (March 9th, 2012 at 19:33)

summer kitchen in kansas has one if you dont mind,and i would love to order some deer meat (i understand it would have to be imperishible like jerky)you can write to me then i can give your letter to summer kitchen.my us mail-1109 nw vanburen st topeka,ks 66608

Comment on Missouri Amish (October 21st, 2010 at 12:28)

There is a very small community in Dixon, MO. There are only about 13 families. They have thriving businesses, though. There is a greenhouse, woodworker, deer processor and horse trainer. We have some pictures if you would like them.

Comment on Dixon Amish (October 2nd, 2011 at 22:33)

Dixon Amish

I’m hoping to visit them this week, any comments welcome

tiffany rangier
      Comment on Missouri Amish Communities (March 9th, 2012 at 19:21)

deer is good meat

tiffany rangier
      Comment on Missouri Amish Communities (March 20th, 2012 at 09:13)

sure i would like some pictures.
      1109 nw vanburen st topeka,ks 66608
      that is my address

Comment on Missouri Amish (October 21st, 2010 at 16:56)

Beth, thanks for the Missouri insider info! Your description squares with what I understand on these communities.

Tammy thanks as well and would enjoy seeing any photos you have.

tiffany rangier
      Comment on Missouri Amish Communities (March 9th, 2012 at 19:24)

eric I am in missouri and the economy here is diffrent from kansas,but frugility such as eating meat off the land as well as keeping the home should never go out of style!even though missouri is a little better off

Comment on Missouri Amish (October 22nd, 2010 at 12:49)

How do I send you the photos – email?

Comment on Missouri Amish (October 22nd, 2010 at 13:12)

Sure that will work: amishamerica@gmail.com

Gary Sloan
    Comment on Missouri Amish (November 8th, 2010 at 10:41)

I have heard there is a group of Amish in Missouri looking to leave and go to Arkansas because of picture ID on drivers license. Do you know what part of Arkansas they are looking to go to? I am in Arkansas and would be very interested in finding out what area they are looking at settleing. Thanks

Jim
      Comment on Missouri Amish Communities (August 3rd, 2011 at 23:33)

It isn’t the Amish pulling roots and moving to Ark but the Mennonites. The Amish don’t pay taxes, or drive or have any sort of govt ID. The Mennonites are selling off property in N Central MO (Randolph County)and moving to Ark for that reason…the proposed “national ID” since they do drive and pay taxes etc.

Lee
        Comment on No Taxes? (December 20th, 2011 at 11:47)

No Taxes?

Amish don’t pay taxes?

Where did you come up with this? It’s comments like this that have no founding or bearing in the truth that make it bad for Amish, Mennonites and Hutterites.

Amish most certainly do pay taxes and technically they pay taxes on the church buildings since they meet in their homes. Check your information before making such statements.

Amish oppose the Social Security tax and can file exemption which makes it so they can never receive benefits but so can other people.

I know many Amish in IN and OH who are paying socail security taxes but will never receive any benefits from it. They pay income taxes and property taxes the same as anyone else.

Of course they don’t pay for a driver’s license because they don’t drive motorized vehicles. Some states require the Amish to pay for licenses for their buggies.

Amish stores pay sales taxes.

Don’t worry, my friend, Amish pay their fair share of taxes. 🙂

Joyce
          Comment on Taxes (August 6th, 2017 at 23:02)

Taxes

You’re right. All amish and mennonites pay taxes! I was raised old order mennonite, and still a conservative mennonite. Alot don’t pay as much income tax because of having large families and liwer income. Another i teresting note, we pay alot of$$ that go to the public schools, and yet send our children to our own private schools. Totally paid for out of our own pocket. And are so thankful to live in a country that allows us this privilege!

tiffany rangier
        Comment on Amish Communities in Missouri (March 9th, 2012 at 19:35)

well,(at least in kansas until april 9th.you can file “traveling expenses if you have to go between towns related to your work,and if your self employed.”the irs says.I am not sure if its the same in missouri.

Nancy Birch
      Comment on Missouri Amish Communities (September 9th, 2011 at 19:19)

Many Amish and Mennonites from our area have left and gone to AR. It was because a mandatory law of having a photo on file at the Capital. The state tried to honor their beliefs by having a automated camera behind closed doors, and the photo would only be kept on file in case of emergency…many stayed and complied…many left the state.

Comment on Missouri Amish (November 9th, 2010 at 10:56)

Hi Gary,

On possible Amish migrants to Arkansas, unfortunateley I don’t have that info. I hadn’t heard about that though these kinds of requirements can be problematic for Amish. There are actually already 3 settlements in Arkansas, which you might be aware of already?

Comment on Missouri Amish (November 13th, 2010 at 14:12)

There is a settlement between Humansville and Dunnegan. I don’t know how large, but there are a few stores and a couple greenhouses as well as wood-working businesses. It is a beautiful area – some of their houses look quite modern. The family we visited had an earth-berm home.

Nancy Peck
    Comment on Missouri Amish (December 29th, 2010 at 08:41)

I live in Elkhart IN and there are many Amish around us. I’ve heard that the MISSOURI Amish drive OPEN buggies. Is that true?

Jim
      Comment on Missouri Amish Communities (August 3rd, 2011 at 23:38)

Yes, Missouri Amish in the Clark, MO and Randolph County area do drive open buggies but occasionally you will see them in a closed buggy (not oft though).

Last year an Amish father was killed when his 2-wheeled open buggy was hit from behind on Hwy 63 in Moberly by an inattentive speeding driver texting on his cell phone. The Amish gent was returning home after grocery shopping.

Nancy
      Comment on Missouri Amish Communities (September 18th, 2011 at 13:49)

Depends on the rules of the community. We live between two MO communities…I believe they can both use the closed top buggies, but they cannot have the windshield and doors.

Comment on Which Amish use open buggies? (December 29th, 2010 at 12:20)

Which Amish use open buggies?

Hi Nancy, not all, but some would. These would be members of Swiss Amish communities, such as at Seymour and Greentop in Schuyler County.

Swiss Amish groups typically only permit open buggies. The largest Swiss Amish communities are actually found in Adams and Allen Counties in northeastern Indiana, not far from you. Here is more on Swiss Amish if you are interested: http://amishamerica.com/who-are-the-swiss-amish/

Dustin Betz
      Comment on Missouri Amish Communities (February 21st, 2012 at 09:51)

I live in curryville month and last summer a little 12. Year old boy got hit and killed in front of our house he was walking it was really sad the older guy couldn’t see because it was raining and hailing and the little boy ran out in front of him

Dustin Betz
      Comment on Missouri Amish Communities (February 21st, 2012 at 09:51)

I live in curryville missouri and last summer a little 12. Year old boy got hit and killed in front of our house he was walking it was really sad the older guy couldn’t see because it was raining and hailing and the little boy ran out in front of him

jim winnerman
    Comment on Missouri Amish (December 29th, 2010 at 20:58)

Hi. I am a writer doing a story on Amish in Missouri. Would you be an expert on Amish in the state? Please respond to my email. Thanks!

Linda W
    Comment on Missouri Amish (January 3rd, 2011 at 21:06)

There is a small Amish community near Versailles, Mo (about 18 miles from Eldon, and about 30 from Jefferson City). There are two general stores, one is called Weavers (this is the BEST Amish store!), and another one near there, but I can’t remember what it is called. As a historical note, this store (not Weaver’s) was built on the property that used to belong to my uncle. There are a few other small shops (quilts, etc.), throughout the area, but not widely advertised. I lived in Versailles for a few years in the early ’70’s, and my brother lived there for about fifteen years, moving to Eldon about two years ago.

I can’t remember the name of the road, but going out 52 towards Barnett, MO, it is a letter name just a few miles past where 5 goes north to Tipton, it is a left turn.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Stacey B
      Comment on Missouri Amish near Eldon (September 15th, 2011 at 11:31)

Missouri Amish near Eldon

I was wondering if they still have a resturant there, and would it be a good place to take Senior citizens for an outing?

Comment on Missouri Amish (January 3rd, 2011 at 21:48)

Linda – I think it’s Hwy. E. Actually that’s an Old Order Mennonite town (horse & buggy), not an Amish town. We were just there and I asked one of the Mennonite girls working at the store. No Amish there – but the Old Order Mennonites are pretty interesting and as an outsider looking in, it’s just as much fun to drive around and go to their stores, etc.

FredM
    Comment on Missouri Amish (January 17th, 2011 at 02:10)

Which Amish communities (of any size) are closest to the St. Louis area? Thanks. Fred

Comment on Missouri Amish (February 3rd, 2011 at 22:35)

Hi Erik,

I live between Fordland and Seymour and spend a few days each week during the growing season with many members of the Amish community. They are wonderful people here although they are extremely private and desire to avoid all tourists unlike other Amish communities in other states. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about them. I have learned so much from them from gardening ideas, preserving, cooking and I even finished the top of our daughters Amish dress this evening from a pattern given to me by one of my Amish lady friends. They are dear friends and we feel blessed to be as involved with them as we are.

Sharon

Jo Ann
      Comment on Amish in Missouri (August 18th, 2011 at 08:34)

Amish in Missouri

There is an Amish group in Windsor Missouri

Comment on Missouri Amish (February 6th, 2011 at 08:25)

Thanks for getting in touch Sharon. That is a really conservative group but great that you have gotten to know them well. I have not visited that community but I have the impression that it is a lot less tourist-oriented than say Jamesport.

Comment on Missouri Amish (March 1st, 2011 at 14:21)

I am looking for some amish to build a building for me near Wappapello or Poplar Bluff, MO. Their work is always very good. I purchased a small storage shed and it has been super, solid and no leaks but that was in central MO. How do I locate these folks in or near Poplar Bluff, mO?

Chris
    Comment on Missouri Amish (March 20th, 2011 at 00:56)

The Mennonite / Amish group around Versailles is a little larger than is being talked about here. It goes as far west as Cole Camp, east to Versailles and emcompasses Fortuna, Latham, Stover, Tipton, California, Barnett, and Eldon. I am always a little confused about the mix of Mennonites vs Amish, but they are quite prominent in this area. They are good businessmen, farmers, and builders. Some use horse and buggy and bicycles, while others use black automobiles as well as tractors for farming. They are very friendly. I once lost a bird dog pup in this area and several Mennonites helped me to find him.

Tonya
    Comment on Missouri Amish (March 22nd, 2011 at 02:41)

I just came back from a short trip to Randolph County, MO. My location was past Huntsville on Hwy C then County Road P. I passed several Amish/Mennonites, all were very friendly, waving and smiling. Two separate open buggies passed with only children, I assumed they were Amish at the time but also knew they could be Mennonites. Later I passed a small school and could hear children singing. It was very touching somehow. There is a feeling of innocence that is very elusive in these times. I also passed a sign advertising (modular?) log cabins, and I believe these are Amish/Mennonite products and made right down the road,(for Jan’s inquery). This has recharged a curiosity I had as a child when I visited relatives in Indiana. I’ve decided to learn more of their histories.

Pat Quigley
    Comment on Missouri Amish (March 25th, 2011 at 14:39)

I’d have to agree with Chris, I think the Mennonite/Amish community around Versailles is bigger than some think. There used to be an incredible family style restaurant right in Versailles but I have heard rumor of it’s closing in the last couple years. My Grandfather lived in Stover and this was always the place he took us for a meal when we visited!

I’m interested in learning about any good Amish markets/stores. I’m south of St. Louis and unfortunately their isn’t any community nearby (that I know of). I’d be willing to travel a few times a year to stock up on staples and such but within reasonable distance. Jamesport is too far! If I knew where the store was in or near Versailles, that would be golden but other reasonable suggestions are welcome as well.

So glad I found this website! I have had a curiosity of the Amish since I was young (visiting my Grandfather and seeing the buggies). More recently I’ve been doing quite a bit of research on sustainable farming and mention of the Amish culture comes up often. We’ve also been attending some small farm conferences lately and there is usually at least one Amish family attending but generally don’t seem very willing to talk with the English (sometimes I wish I had the nerve to attempt to strike up conversation). Most recently I read one of Gene Logsdon’s books ‘Living at Nature’s Pace’, a few of the essays in it have to do with the Ohio Amish. I’m simply fascinated and truly believe we can all learn a lot from them!

Chris
    Comment on Missouri Amish (March 26th, 2011 at 08:35)

Pat, I think your restaurant in Versailles is still there. It is on HWY 5 just east of town. You turn about 1/4 of a mile north on 5 and it’s on the left. Anytime I’m in the area, I try to eat there. It is usually packed. Great bread and pastries are sold there too.

jim mc cubbin
    Comment on Missouri Amish (March 26th, 2011 at 19:06)

i live in centralia, mo. and visit the amish in clark at least twice a week i have gotten to know them quite well.this one family i buy wood from: i heat with wood, and also eggs, and garden produce in summer they also have a couple stores and other business would be glad to help anyone find their way around

Jim Winnerman
    Comment on Missouri Amish (March 27th, 2011 at 20:30)

tammy r…I would be interested in talking to you about your Amish home you are renting, and looking at your photos. I am writing an article on the Amish in Missouri and would like to briefly interview you. Please email me at: bawinnie@earthlink.net

Jim

Louise Williams
    Comment on Looking for an Amish Market near Springfield, MO (April 16th, 2011 at 12:46)

Looking for an Amish Market near Springfield, MO

Hi,

I’m insterested in locating an Amish Market near Springfield, MO. I would like to buy items such as summer produce, jams, etc. Would you happen to know where I could find such a market?

I would also like to visit a year-round market for purchase of other items they might sell.

Thanks, Louise

Comment on Reply to Lousie: Amish near Springfield, MO (July 29th, 2011 at 21:02)

Reply to Lousie: Amish near Springfield, MO

There is a community of Amish in the Humansville-Dunnegan, MO. area. I just talked with the owners of the store/bakery in Dunnegan and they informed me they, and a few Mennonite families participate in the Springfield Farmer’s Market on Saturday’s at the Battlefield Mall. They bring jams, jellies, their famous Ozark Country Sorghum, and baked goods. Some of the other families bring fresh produce. I love their sorghum (been buying it for over 20 years and have it shipped to California) and their baked goods!)

If you want to take a drive, their store is about an hour from Springfield in Dunnegan, two miles south of Hwy 123. Their store operates M-S from 8:00-5:00. They are closed on Sundays. If you need any more information, a message can be left at this number: 417-754-2523.

I would love to know if you make contact with them.

Sharon
    Comment on re: Amish Market (April 19th, 2011 at 07:26)

re: Amish Market

Louise,

We will be selling homegrown and Amish produce and other products in the Rogersville area beginning the middle of May. Look for us on the southeast corner of the main intersection.

Laura
    Comment on Amish in AR (May 7th, 2011 at 13:42)

Amish in AR

There is an Amish community outside Salem Arkansas and one near Saddle Arkansas.

Comment on Missouri Amish (May 7th, 2011 at 14:14)

Thanks Laura! For those interested, we’ve also got an Arkansas Amish page: http://amishamerica.com/arkansas-amish/

Pat Quigley
    Comment on Seymourm, MO (May 7th, 2011 at 15:42)

Seymourm, MO

My wife and I drove down to Seymour, MO last Saturday and on the way passed through a good sized Amish community. Unfortunately, we were on a timeline to get where we were going and then had a big chicken coop in tow on the way back. I would loved to had stopped and searched for a store. Now today coming here to read the comments, I find out that Seymour is possibly the largest Amish community in Missouri. Wish I would have stopped!

On another note, recently we were coming home from Sullivan and decided to take the “back way”. Got off 44 east at the St. Clair highway 47 exit and jumped on highway 30. I don’t recall where exactly but not far from St Clair, we saw the “share the road” signs with the horse and buggy pictured. This is not far from where we live and I’d love to learn more about the community. Anyone know? From the road, we couldn’t see any obvious Amish homesteads and certainly no store.

Pat

Comment on Amish near Sullivan Missouri? (May 9th, 2011 at 09:28)

Amish near Sullivan Missouri?

Hi Pat, do you know which county you were in at the time? I see that Sullivan straddles Franklin and Crawford counties, but I do not see any Missouri Amish settlements for either of those (unless a new one was founded over the past couple years). But, perhaps you were in a different county at the time?

Pat Quigley
        Comment on Amish Communities in Missouri (May 9th, 2011 at 11:34)

Hi Erik!

Where we saw the signs was near St. Clair, so Franklin County or possibly just inside the Jefferson County line. We live in Jefferson County but a bit further north. Do you know of any settlements in the area?

Thanks for the help!

Pat

Comment on Amish Missouri (May 9th, 2011 at 11:52)

Pat I am searching here and there is a community in St. Clair County but that I think is on the other side of the state but probably not what you mean. Is it possible this could have been near the Illinois border?

I am not finding anything in the counties mentioned unless there is perhaps an Old Order Mennonite community in the area but I don’t think there is…I’m looking in a 2011 guide which if this is a very new community might not have it listed.

Pat Quigley
            Comment on Amish in MO (May 9th, 2011 at 12:20)

Sure, we’re not far from Illinois but not right close the river or anything. No, you are correct, not St. Clair County, St. Clair the town in Franklin County. I’m almost certain it was on Highway 30 just east of the Jefferson County/Franklin County line.

I suppose it could be a new community but would they have these “share the road” signs up that fast? Unfortunately I don’t travel that way all that often so I don’t know when about those signs were posted. Could have been recently or could have been years ago.

Maybe I’ll have to do a little snooping around. Not much over there in the way of stopping and asking folks. Pretty much a rural 2-lane with farms and houses.

Comment on Missouri Amish (May 9th, 2011 at 12:27)

That could be possible but it seems like it would be a bit quick. The guide I am referring to does not always have all settlements included, however (though it’s probably at least 95% or more). I asked about Illinois b/c there are some scattered small communities in mid/southern Illinois, though I didn’t check those. Sounds like you are a bit farther from the border though.

Teresa
              Comment on Saint Clair Amish signs (March 19th, 2012 at 16:36)

Saint Clair Amish signs

The signs for the Amish/Mennonite buggies are on hwy 30 just between Saint Clair and Dittmer, near Lonedell and Grubner turnoff.

Dee Galyon
        Comment on Amish in Jefferson County, Missouri (October 2nd, 2011 at 18:30)

Amish in Jefferson County, Missouri

I also live in Jefferson County and have seen the very same “Share the Road” signs just inside Jefferson County after passing through Franklin County (exiting on Highway 47). I could not find any homes either…. perhaps they live off the paved highway and on gravel roads nearby?

Pat Q
          Comment on Amish Missouri (December 30th, 2011 at 23:14)

So I’m not crazy! I would really like to know more about the community there and possibly try to speak with and/or buy/barter goods. The search continues!

Jim Winnerman
    Comment on The guide you are using (May 9th, 2011 at 16:17)

The guide you are using

Eric, I am not sure what guide you are using, but could you answer these quesions?
    1. How many communities listed in Missouri and does the guide rank them by population?
    2. Also, can you please give me the name of the guide and how often it is published?
    3. Also, what is included in the guide, please?

I am heading out Wednesday for several days in Missouri visiting Clark, Centalia, Jamesport,Huntsville, Anabel and maybe La Plata, Queen City and Greentop for the article we discussed. I believe all have some Amish.

The last issue of the Budget I had included letters form 36 Missouri towns!

Thanks!

Comment on Missouri Amish in Raber's Almanac (May 9th, 2011 at 16:23)

Missouri Amish in Raber's Almanac

Hi Jim, Raber’s Almanac. It’s published yearly. It’s a more or less full list of Amish church ministers across N. America, among other items. It lists church districts which gives you a good sense of the size. You can find more on it here, check the comments section for more info on where it is printed: http://amishamerica.com/rabers-amish-almanac/

Sounds like a good trip–travel well and safe!

Ashley
    Comment on Missouri Amish (May 18th, 2011 at 09:21)

I have heard of an Amish community around Lamar, MO that sells breads and sweets. Just wondering if anyone knew the location of the place?

Stacie
    Comment on Missouri Amish (May 30th, 2011 at 15:19)

I live in Marshfield in Webster County Missouri. I often go to seymour. I know my folks use to buy produce directly from some amish families. I would like to know more, but I dont know any of the locally amish that personally. I did however meet Sammy Schwartz when I use to work at walmart a few years ago. Sometimes I have felt in the past that the local amish are very private compared to some that I have read about. It is true you do see the open buggies in the area (the only kind they are allowed here) and you do see the hitching posts at the Mcdonalds in Seymour and other places around the area 🙂

Paula
    Comment on Seymour MO Amish Visit (June 9th, 2011 at 03:57)

Seymour MO Amish Visit

I used to live in Mansfield MO many years ago. Mansfield is located about 10-15 minutes East of Seymour on Hwy 60. About 16 years ago I sold tupperware and my upline and I would go to meetings in Springfield MO. On the way back one day, my upline needed to stop and drop off a tupperware order to an Amish woman there in Seymour. I knew how private they were, so I didn’t expect to be invited into her home. Imagine my surprise when she did extend an invitation to join them inside that afternoon. I was extremely thrilled but I made sure to keep my composure and excitement to myself until after the visit and we were back onto Hwy 60! I will never forget that experience. A kind gesture of hospitality meant so much to me. I remember being so excited to tell everyone at home that I was invited into an Amish home! That was the first and last time I was able to see inside one of their homes and I’ll never forget it.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this, but for any of you who are traveling through that area in Missouri, Hwy 60 Webster County (Seymour, MO) and Wright County (Mansfield, MO), don’t forget that in Mansfield MO, just a few minutes from Seymour, the “Laura Ingalls Wilder Home”, where Laura wrote her books (Little House on the Prairie, ect…), is located there in Mansfield. The Wilder Home is a very beautiful and peaceful place to visit/tour for a small fee. I have friends who work there if anyone needs some information let me know on here.

Thanks for all of the wonderful information everyones posted about the Amish communities in MO. Although I didn’t have much info. I hope you enjoyed my story. I guess one bit of new information I gave you is the knowledge that some of the Amish Women use Tupperware! I cross my heart, this is a true story. Btw, I’ve also seen the hitching posts for their horses, at McDonalds, that some of you have mentioned, and at the bank. I feel blessed that I grew up near the Amish. When I visit home and see them in their buggies I can’t help but to be reminded of my own spiritual journey with God my Lord and Saviour. I dig a little deeper within to see what I can do to better my life and make a difference in others. Anyone else do that too?

Debi Branecki
    Comment on Missouri Amish (July 15th, 2011 at 21:29)

I know there are Mennonites and possibly Amish around the Lake Stockton area as we have seen them bathing at the lake. We are buying a home there soon and I would love to learn more about them.

David Carrigan
    Comment on Missouri Amish (August 18th, 2011 at 07:59)

I live 6 miles north of Lamar, MO in Barton County west on HWY V and am smack dab in the middle of a good-sized Amish community. Several thriving businesses and a Produce Auction that goes several days a week throughout the spring, summer and into the fall. The auction house is just 1/4 mile from my place. They are a very friendly group. I have spoke with a few of them at the end of my drive and at the auction. They have both open and closed buggies.

Daisy Daubigne
    Comment on Wedding Wagon for Doves (August 29th, 2011 at 05:09)

Wedding Wagon for Doves

I am desperate to find a wood worker who could make me a small wagon for my nephew to pull down the aisle at the wedding with a cage sitting on it of two doves.

I live in Jefferson County

Tammie
    Comment on logging (October 18th, 2011 at 11:31)

logging

I have been told there is a group of amish that will log your land. If any one know how to get ahold of tfghem Please let me know.

Jim Mace
    Comment on Texas County (October 20th, 2011 at 10:22)

Texas County

There has been a recent growth of Swiss Amish in our area around Licking Missouri, Texas County. A few years back the last of the German Amish had moved on (Im not sure where), but we are very happy to see our new friends move into our community.

I grew up near Windsor and I am always amused at the differences in the seperate communities. The Amish around Windsor have the inclosed buggies and are very outgoing and industiest. Our Amish friends in the Dixon area are simular but a little more reserved. And our friends in our local area here in Texas county keep very much to themselves, but always kind.

I always tell my friends who dont know the Amish that they will be surprised. Without all the distractions of modern amendities, my Amish friends are incredible at telling a story and keeping a good conversation!

SHARE THE ROAD!!

Carolyn Bostic
    Comment on Disabled Amish/Mennonites? (October 27th, 2011 at 13:44)

Disabled Amish/Mennonites?

Am curious about wheelchair-using Amish/Mennonites. Being a wheelchair user myself, I’d love to know about life w/o vehicles & electricity as a disabled person. I have my own memories of living in Texas/Howell Counties area & having Amish girlfriends in elementary school (35-40 yrs ago). That’s why I am on this site today.
    Thanks for any info. Carolyn

Judy Grober
    Comment on Noel,Missouri (October 27th, 2011 at 14:39)

Noel,Missouri

Are there any Amish or Mennonite settlements near Noel,Missouri?

tiffany rangier
      Comment on Missouri Amish Communities (March 9th, 2012 at 19:31)

a very small one about 2 hours west of st louis on hwy 70 then off 10 miles to the other highway i forgot the name of.their is a mennonite/omish were i am from its topeka ks i am.they are 30 miles south in lyndon,ks.If you would like to trade for a flyer from their so i may have one from your church my personal mail is 1109 nw vanburen st topeka,ks 66608.

Ashley
    Comment on Musselfork MO (October 30th, 2011 at 15:24)

Musselfork MO

My husband and I hunt in musselfork Missouri…very close to Keytesville MO. I see a lot of Amish/Mennonites nearby (houses and buggies)…I have become so curious about their lifestyle. Watched several documentaries and can’t get enough. Having a cabin, we always need wood, groceries…random stuff. I would rather buy from them than go to the big town to get stuff and I can peak my curiosity a little too. Any suggestions on local businesses to reach out to?

Jackie
    Comment on Cape Girardeau, MO (November 1st, 2011 at 09:36)

Cape Girardeau, MO

I was curious as to whether there are any notably sized Amish in my area. Because we are right on the Mississippi River, my target area could possibly include a portion of southern Illinois. I grew up in central Wisconsin, where Amish are very common, and I really miss the wonderful bulk stores! Every time I am up there, I am sure to visit Weaver’s or Heine’s bulk stores! (I think those are the correct names/spellings.. it’s been so long!)

The Grape Arbor Country Store
    Comment on NEW!! Clark MO Amish Calendars for 2012 (November 6th, 2011 at 07:15)

NEW!! Clark MO Amish Calendars for 2012

My husband and I have lived in the Clark, MO Amish community for 18 years and we have developed many friendships with our neighbors. For the two years I have been taking photos of the beautiful area we live in, and this summer I made a full color calendar with a new photo each month. The printer just finished with the calendars this week and they are neat! Amish holidays are printed in red so you know what days the businesses are closed. Dates for the Clark Produce Auctions are printed in green. Advertising info for several Amish businesses is included. Best forecasted fishing days are also marked. You may purchase these calendars at our store, The Grape Arbor, LLC where we also sell souvenirs, gourmet candy & cookies, pumpkin butter. They are $7.00 if you pick them up or $10 by mail. If you are interested, send your name, address, and payment to: The Grape Arbor 1083 CR 2796 Clark, MO 65243. For a limited time, a free map of stores in the Clark Amish Community will be included with each order!

Pat Q
      Comment on Missouri Amish Communities (December 30th, 2011 at 23:35)

A little late but curious if there are any calenders left? I’m not close by but I’d be interested in getting one mailed.

Swati
    Comment on I want to visit AMISH society. (December 30th, 2011 at 16:52)

I want to visit AMISH society.

Hi, I am an international student studying in Cape girardeau, MO and i want to take my family to visit amish society but i dont know the whereabouts and there openness to meet new people. Could you please help me with the address and the details , where to go, eat, buy. I am planning to go on Saturday 12.31.11.
    Early reply will be appreciated.

Comment on Missouri Amish Communities (December 31st, 2011 at 07:28)

Swati, did you have a chance to read the info on this page? The larger Missouri Amish settlements are listed. Try google maps to find one closest to you. Larger communities typically have Amish run shops and also some tourist facilities and businesses. Once there, look for plainish looking signs. If you post a more specific question about the settlement and type of business, maybe someone here can help.

Pat Q
    Comment on Amish feed mill? (December 31st, 2011 at 00:00)

Amish feed mill?

Ok, here’s somewhat of a different question (sort of). I’ve read and been told by a few people, in other states, that they can get custom milled livestock feed from the Amish. I’d be very interested in finding out if this were a possibility from any of the Missouri communities. I’m looking for chicken layer feed and would be willing to buy by the ton and drive a couple hours (from St. Louis area) to get it. Anyone have any idea? Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

Comment on Just drove through Amish country near Seymour (January 18th, 2012 at 22:36)

Just drove through Amish country near Seymour

Just today we went to Seymour to pass our 7 1/2 month old grandson off to his other grandparents and drove through some of the Amish area on Highway C north of there. One thing that caught our attention in particular was the uniformity in the houses in the area. We saw several almost identical in style — almost looked like 2 or 3 houses connected with long porches across the front. They were all covered with a gray shingle-type siding.

We also passed an Amish school. It must have been recess time, as several scholars, mostly girls, were shooting hoops outside the building. The dress of the girls was very consistent as well — dark blue dresses with black aprons. As a public high school teacher, and someone with a great interest in the Amish life style, I would love to visit an Amish classroom — but I didn’t really think this was a place to just walk in and say, “Hi, I want to see what your school is like.”

tiffany rangier
      Comment on Missouri Amish Communities (March 9th, 2012 at 19:27)

as far as driving missouri is safer then kansas on a horse.If I can visit the community?it would be interesting.(i am not omish,but I meet one in kansas city at the grey hound late last night.he was a little guarded when i approached him.I wanted to give him a letter for his church but he wouldnt accept it.(of coarse it could of been the enviroment and the late hour at this paticular time too)

Comment on Seymour Amish (January 19th, 2012 at 09:15)

Seymour Amish

Many of our dear friends live on Highway C and down many of the side roads. Just two days ago, we picked up one of the school teachers walking home, but she asked us to drop her off at her English neighbors home, who is over 90 so she could check in on her. That is the heart of our Amish here. They are truly gentle, caring and giving people. We will be heading up to another Missouri Amish community for an Amish wedding we have been invited to. So exciting! Some Amish friends of ours will be riding with us, they have a daughter the same age as ours and they have become great friends, so the girls are anxious to spend the day together. The mother is sewing up an Amish dress for our daughter to wear to the wedding. It was fun to watch them enjoy dressing her up last week in order to find the right pattern for her.

The colors they wear here are mainly the dark blues. These are their “dress” colors especially for public outings. Other than that, they wear the beautiful chocolate browns, sometimes grays and on occasion you might see a very light blue. The aprons are always black except for Sundays and weddings, the aprons and capes are white.

If you visit my blog at www.ozarkmountainfamily.blogspot.com, you will find the Amish bread recipe that was taught to me by one of the Bishops in his home. That was a fun afternoon. Right now, I’m actually having an Amish Cookbook giveaway until January 22nd.

The houses that look connected are actually just that. A dawdi house has been added on for the parents when a son takes over the farm. It is wonderful how they care for their own elderly, a real testament to what Englischers should be doing. The uniformity is there for the purpose of discouraging individualism, but they are as human as us and each has their own personality that shows in their farms, their wagons, and the smile on their faces. They rejoice in their community, but they will be the first to tell you that they have as much trouble within their community as we do ours, they are far from perfect. They are a very humble people, and a great inspiration.

Comment on Missouri Amish Communities (January 20th, 2012 at 09:21)

Sharon, thanks for sharing this about the community at Seymour. I enjoyed visiting your blog as well.

Freda
      Comment on Amish Friends (February 26th, 2012 at 15:01)

Amish Friends

I have some Amish friends from Seymour that I met by accident. I live in Southeast Missouri but have traveled to Springfield most of my life and have always been fasinated by the Amish and the way they live. We were looking for baked goods and met our friends this way as the people who had the baked goods were in the hospital. That was 5 years ago now the real ironary is that at the time I had purple hair and I thought that this would turn them away but they accept me for me. We have made a friendship that will last a lifetime 🙂 We eat with them, take them shopping in Springfield and go yard saleing together. We write letters almost every week( it was hard for me as I had not written a letter in 20 years). We visit every 2-3 months we take the children toys and books and what we get in return can not be purchased with money, a true and honest friendship. They are a very private people and they are very friendly but prefer to keep to themselves, I have watched people staring at them and even though it upsets me they choose to ignore it, which I could learn that one. We find things for them over the internet that they have no way to find. I have such respect for them and the way that they live I always keep myself covered when I am there even though it may be over a 100 degrees as I would do nothing to disrespect the way they live. We share stories and recipes, the woman are such wonderful cooks and my husband and the men and boys do things together outside. They do not look down on me because I have a college education, but seem to want to know things for which I am happy to tell them. The best times are sitting outside giving history lessons. They have a simple but hard life, they do not allow upolstered furniture just hard back chairs that are wood and wooden rockers. Eating by gas lights is so neat. We may spend just a few days with them but I am always glad to return to the comforts of home, I am spoiled. I love my friends and know that it will be a life long friendship

Julie
    Comment on Missouri Amish (March 23rd, 2012 at 12:35)

I live in STL, I remember last year going to the zoo and saw what appeared to either be Amish or Mennonites. The men had on blue shirts with black suspenders. Would that be Amish? Do the Amish go to the zoo and eat ice cream cones?

Rick
    Comment on Osceola (March 24th, 2012 at 19:54)

Osceola

When we are on the way to Branson we will often see Horse and buggies on the road from Lowry City,Osceola and Vista. Are these Amish and what do you know about them. On the weekends we do see them set up across the highway from the cheese place?

Pat Weston
    Comment on Coconut Oil (April 9th, 2012 at 12:37)

Coconut Oil

I am looking for contact info on an Amish farm in northern Missouri from which they sell 5 gallon containers of coconut oil. Does anyone have any information on a family, Zimmerman, selling this?

Lin
    Comment on Missouri Amish (April 10th, 2012 at 11:27)

Instead of an Amish farm, this information is about two plain Mennonite stores owned by Zimmermans that sell 5-gallon containers of coconut oil.

Zimmerman’s Store
    Main State Highway M
    Rutledge, MO 63563
    (660) 883-5766 (These are 6.45 gallons)

Dutchman’s Store