18 responses to Amish Schoolchildren Sing “The Ninety-Nine” (Video)
    Mark — Holmes Co.
    Comment on Amish Schoolchildren Sing “The Ninety-Nine” (Video) (April 21st, 2017 at 07:52)

Well, I know why you guessed Holmes County! 🙂 Fun to see some faces I recognize.

Al in Ky
    Comment on Amish Schoolchildren Sing “The Ninety-Nine” (Video) (April 21st, 2017 at 08:37)

Is the clue (to the children being from Holmes County) the style, and especially the color black, of the girls’ coverings?

• You’re right in the ball park Al, yes it is about the differences on their heads 🙂

Al in Ky
        Comment on Amish Schoolchildren Sing “The Ninety-Nine” (Video) (April 21st, 2017 at 09:47)

Here’s an addition to my guess — the school children look like it is a mixed group of Old Order Amish (Holmes Co. affiliation) and a more conservative affiliation (Swartzentruber?) Amish children. I see at least one boy (on the right side of the front row) with a Swartz. style haircut and at least one girl (on the left end of the front row) with a Swartz. style head covering. Most (maybe all) of the other boys have Old Order Holmes Co. style haircuts and most girls have Old Order Holmes Co. style head coverings. If I am correct, several Holmes County Amish schools have students from more than one affiliation and this is likely more true in Holmes County than in other Amish settlements

• That’s right Al – I was basing it on the haircuts and prayer coverings of the children. You can see the different Swartzentruber-style coverings of a couple of the girls, and the one little boy has a classic Swartzentruber haircut. Some Amish schools in Holmes County will have a mix of children from the different affiliations.

Maybe Mark picked up on other clues besides that, but that’s the first thing that jumped out at me 🙂

Mark — Holmes Co.
            Comment on Amish Schoolchildren Sing “The Ninety-Nine” (Video) (April 21st, 2017 at 11:00)

The haircuts & coverings stood out, but I have to admit I know the school and know it has always had a mixture, so “prior knowledge” and all that.

Comment on The Children did very well with the "99" (April 21st, 2017 at 09:05)

The Children did very well with the "99"

Does the 100th get saved in the end?
    I well behaved class of pupils – it must be a pleasure to teach in AMISH Land.
    Couldn’t help noticing a well earned yawn towards the end !
    God bless you all.

Alex Knisely
    Comment on "Spot the community" (April 21st, 2017 at 09:30)

"Spot the community"

Till I saw the adult women’s caps, sorry, bonnets, I thought — Indiana, Jay County or thereabouts. But to my recollection adult women wear black Kappe there. So not quite right for those settlements.

Don’t know Holmes County garb. After a girl joins church, does her bonnet colour change there?

Alejandro Ramírez
    Comment on How can I visit an Amish Community? (April 21st, 2017 at 11:03)

How can I visit an Amish Community?

Hello Erick. How can I apply for living in an Amish Community? Please ?

Mark — Holmes Co.
    Comment on Amish Schoolchildren Sing “The Ninety-Nine” (Video) (April 21st, 2017 at 11:04)

Alex, the “bonnet” is the (usually black) outer piece of headwear worn over the cap, so you were right when you said “caps.” Most Amish bonnets are black, but there are a few communities that have brown and younger girls in PA communities often have blue ones.

I don’t know of any community/ group where the cap changes color with baptism — it’s usually black for single girls at church, white for married at all times. During the week, it varies depending on group. There are Swiss Amish communities (like in Ind.) where all caps are black no matter if the person is married or single.

Katie Troyer
    Comment on Amish Schoolchildren Sing “The Ninety-Nine” (Video) (April 21st, 2017 at 11:34)

The teachers are also from two different groups of Amish according to their dress code.

Jane
    Comment on So enjoyed (April 21st, 2017 at 13:22)

So enjoyed

I so enjoyed their singing this song. I noticed they were well mannered as they took their places to sing. I did not think they liked to be photographed. Would they have gotten parents permission to do this video?

Amish girl-Rebecca
    Comment on Amish Schoolchildren Sing “The Ninety-Nine” (Video) (April 22nd, 2017 at 02:33)

There are “Dan Amish” , Holmes OldOrder, Swartzentruber, and a New Order teacher.
    Black caps are generally the color for school girls everyday. They would wear white for dress up, except for church when all single girls wear black. Once you’re out of school that is the only time you wear black ( for church).
    My Canadian friends wear black all the time and the married women wear white.

Rita
    Comment on Thanks for sharing this! (April 22nd, 2017 at 14:37)

Thanks for sharing this!

Thoroughly enjoyed this. I live 1/2 mile from an Amish school and often wonder as I drive past what might be going on in there. As for the song, I had it as an instrumental when I learned to play the organ as a young girl, but never heard the song or the words since. Thanks for sharing this with us today.

Carol
    Comment on The Ninety-Nine (May 1st, 2017 at 13:30)

The Ninety-Nine

Thanks for sharing this video, Erik. Such a blessing to my ears and heart! Blessings to you, Erik. Carol