22 responses to The Amish-Run North Missouri Produce Auction (30 Photos)
    Comment on Thanks Erik! (August 29th, 2018 at 14:00)

Thanks Erik!

Thanks Erik for sharing my pictures and experience with the folks here on AA. It is always a joy to a part of the group here.

Comment on Auction (30 photos) (August 29th, 2018 at 14:29)

Auction (30 photos)

Dear Mr. Burke,
    Thank you for providing such friendly and comforting photos to help those of us who cannot travel, to see the wonderful sights of the Amish life. The vegetables you showed would make our Lord proud! What a happy thought to consider the Amish contribution to our world… both with farm produce, and with images of wholesome and peaceful communities. May the world be blessed with more of the same.

Thanks
    Mrs. L. Bilder
    Tulsa, OK

Comment on Thank you... (August 29th, 2018 at 14:50)

Thank you...

Lisa, first off, please feel free to call me “Don.” I think my grandfather was the official “Mr. Burke” of our community growing up, and so “Don” is just fine. ha

Thank you for our kind words. It is a joy to get to make my occasional trips into the Amish world. It doubles that enjoyment when I know others enjoy it as much as you do.

I have to wonder if the produce here and its growers reminds our Lord of His first-fashion fellow back in Eden. They are certainly ones who “tend the garden” in such a special way.

Brad
    Comment on Very nice photos (August 29th, 2018 at 15:44)

Very nice photos

Those photos just make me want to visit. The photos truly humble me with their honesty, and the harvest bounty photos are just wonderful.

Howard Landis
    Comment on Amish Produce Market Near (August 29th, 2018 at 18:48)

Amish Produce Market Near

Can you tell me an address for the northern Missouri produce market nears Jamesport and what days they are open? We’re living in Springfield and are headed to Kansas City for a weekend in mid September and would like to see the market. Thanks.

Comment on Auction info... (August 29th, 2018 at 19:39)

Auction info...

Howard, the address is

32643 State Highway F
      Jamesport, MO 64648

The September schedule is Tuesday and Friday each week, according to http://agebb.missouri.edu/hort/auction/nomo.htm.

If you can swing it to be there on Sept. 18th, that will be the annual mum and pumpkin auction — probably the single biggest auction day all year (to my knowledge, anyway). I don’t know the anticipated post date, but AmishAmerica will post part 2 of this Auction article soon, and it will highlight that one auction. I’d recommend making plans to attend that day if you can.

Howard Landis
        Comment on Produce Auction (August 30th, 2018 at 08:21)

Produce Auction

Thanks for the info on the auction.

jandee neel
        Comment on Windsor missouri produce auction (September 7th, 2018 at 04:30)

Windsor missouri produce auction

There is also an Amish produce auction at Windsor missouri. I don’t know the days and times but it looks just identical to the one in the pictures. We also have two Amish grocery stores and one that is like sewing supplies and such plus more (but different than the grocery ones). As well as other Amish businesses. They are such nice gentle people and I find that even when they don’t have time to stop and chat they have never been rude or hateful about it. Lovely neighbors they make.

Howard Landis
    Comment on Market Schedule (August 29th, 2018 at 18:49)

Market Schedule

What days are you open in mid September? Thanks.

Kathy Rowe
    Comment on Produce Auction Photos (August 29th, 2018 at 19:28)

Produce Auction Photos

Thank you, Don, for sharing your pictures. I really enjoy all that you share of your various travels especially since you get to go to Amish areas that I probably never will get to. All the best to you and be safe traveling.

Comment on Thank you... (August 29th, 2018 at 19:41)

Thank you...

Thanks Kathy for your kind words — it’s knowing that it means so much to folks like everyone here that makes it all worthwhile.

Comment on food. (August 29th, 2018 at 21:30)

food.

Thank you so much for all the photo’s. It was so nice seeing all the different kinds of vegetable’s and flower’s. It reminds me of all the food we grew and canned for the long winter months where I grew up. Do you ever post about the Amish in Minnesota. Thanks Don.

Comment on The Amish-Run North Missouri Produce Auction (30 Photos) (August 30th, 2018 at 00:11)

Hello, Joan. Glad you enjoyed the pictures. I’m afraid I have never been to Minnesota, so no I haven’t don’t any posts on the Amish there. Erik has links at the end of the article to my collection of Amish pictures to the many places that I have been, and you’re welcome to look through those if they would interest you. But maybe one day I’ll get an opportunity to go up to that area and get a few pictures.

Athanasia
    Comment on The Amish-Run North Missouri Produce Auction (30 Photos) (August 29th, 2018 at 22:03)

I didn’t see any odd vegetables.

• I’d never seen purple peppers like that before. Beautiful. Wonder how they taste.

Nicholas
        Comment on Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Purple Peppers (August 30th, 2018 at 11:04)

Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Purple Peppers

I’ve never seen purple peppers before either. I suspect they cross-bred with another variety or something in the same family. While generally said not happen to happen by scientists, I have seen cucumbers cross-breed with pumpkins in my garden. The cucumbers were often orange, sometimes round, and had thicker skin than usual. My friends and I called them pum-cumbers.

Nicholas
    Comment on Auction Participants (August 30th, 2018 at 11:06)

Auction Participants

Don, would you happen to know which group of German Baptists participates in the auction? I belong to the German Baptist New Conference and I don’t think we have any members near there. There might be a few of the original group nearby, or some from a very, very small split off group. I believe there’s a horse and buggy Brethren group near Jamesport and I wondered if this was their members. Thanks.

Comment on The Amish-Run North Missouri Produce Auction (30 Photos) (August 30th, 2018 at 11:43)

Nicholas, in a word, no, I don’t know. To be honest, I know very little about German Baptist at all. I know the GB young ladies that I knew in this auction have since sold their mum business to a local nursery, and I’m not sure if the nursery owners are GB or Mennonites. I know at least three families of GBs there, two are a part of a congregation that will allow limited modern conveniences (such as cash registers, maybe some computer/internet?). The congregation that the sellers I knew didn’t allow any online presence, and that forced the family to sell their sheet metal (siding/roofing) shop because it was limiting their business. Maybe that will help you know which group it is — that’s about all I can offer.

Nicholas
        Comment on The Amish-Run North Missouri Produce Auction (30 Photos) (September 1st, 2018 at 11:10)

Thanks, Don. Only the New Conference and maybe the Old Brethren allow internet. The original/main group doesn’t allow internet or third-party usage. GBs aren’t limited on modern conveniences with the exceptions of entertainment devices, internet and smart phones, with the New Conference limiting only entertainment devices at this time. There are some that willingly limit themselves more and a district in Idaho that chose as a group not to have internet or smartphones. Based on your photo, I suspect these are part of the main group. Lack of collars on the dresses and your info about internet are the main clues.
        Thanks!

Randy
    Comment on Grateful (August 30th, 2018 at 20:02)

Grateful

Many thanks to Don, Eric and others who post here, for making this blog such a valuable source of interesting info and, equally important (actually more important, a my opinion), a place where participants are kindly helpful to each other, making the blog an extraordinarily pleasant one.

Al in Ky
    Comment on The Amish-Run North Missouri Produce Auction (30 Photos) (August 30th, 2018 at 20:54)

Thanks, Don, for sharing these pictures. I have been to several Amish/Old Order Mennonite produce auctions in Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Iowa and Minnesota and the pictures are similar to what you would take at these auctions also.

There is a somewhat informal organization of Amish/Old Order Mennonite produce farmers called the Truck Patch Connection. They usually have an annual one-day fall meeting in two locations that rotate among the states I’ve mentioned above, also Illinois, Michigan, and Pennsylvania and there may be others. There is usually a “western meeting” and an “eastern meeting”. I’ve attended the meetings several times and always found them very interesting with several presenters/panel discussions, etc., on topics about produce and flower growing, food/produce safety, challenges produce auctions face, etc. Their publication is called Truck Patch News, P. O. Box 101, Mt. Hope, Ohio, 44660. I believe subscription price is $15 a year for twelve monthly issues.