17 responses to The Amish of Ava, Illinois
    Al in Ky
    Comment on The Amish of Ava, Illinois (November 18th, 2014 at 07:16)

Thanks for sharing the pictures and narrative. Helps us learn more about the variations in Amish life in different settlements. The church building and school remind me of those in the Salem, Indiana (Rosebud area) New Order Amish settlement.

Katie Troyer
    Comment on The Amish of Ava, Illinois (November 18th, 2014 at 07:28)

They are not that different than from where they came from, be it from Guthrie Kentucky, Yanceyville or Union Grove North Carolina.

Mary
      Comment on The Amish of Ava, Illinois (November 18th, 2014 at 21:52)

Katie, i think they hail from Spencer, Wisconsin if I remember correctly.

Marcus Yoder
      Comment on The Amish of Ava, Illinois (November 19th, 2014 at 06:33)

Nevins Father was born in Geauga county. His mother was born in Virginia.They moved to Union Grove. Not sure if parents moved to Illinois. Wilmas parents were from Arthur Illinois.

Juanita Cook
    Comment on The Amish of Ava, Illinois (November 18th, 2014 at 08:05)

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing…

George Moore
    Comment on Buying! (November 18th, 2014 at 10:44)

Buying!

How can someone not from the area of Ava buy some of the Millers products?

Comment on Miller product availability... (November 18th, 2014 at 12:48)

Miller product availability...

First, thanks Erik for highlighting my little adventure and the pictures that went with it on your website. It’s always an honor.

Second, George, if you are asking if anyone (even not from the area) can simply walk in a buy from the Millers, the answer is yes. (That is what I did.) They do not have much produce on display (less than 6’x6′ of shelving, as I recall), but they do have stuff for sale there.

If you’re talking about buying the Miller products from other place, I don’t know how far their distribution is, but I have seen their products in bulk food / variety stores elsewhere. Their phone number is 618.426.3108, and I’m sure you could call and ask.

Comment on Miller's Honey, Jam and Jelly is for sale at Rural King. (April 14th, 2018 at 19:40)

Miller's Honey, Jam and Jelly is for sale at Rural King.

First: Thank you Don Burke for the pictures and story on Millers Country Crafts, I had been curious about who makes such a wide selection products locally.

Today, 14 APR 18, I saw Miller’s Honey, Jam and Jelly for sale at Rural King, at least the one in Marion IL.

Several years ago I purchased their Elderberry Jelly at The Chocolate Factory in Dixon Springs IL. Liked the flavor so much I started growing Elderberries at home.

Robert Coulson

David Sullivan
          Comment on millers jelly (June 27th, 2018 at 10:55)

millers jelly

I purchased Miller’s jelly at the save a lot grocery in Vincennes Indiana

Comment on The Amish of Ava, Illinois (November 18th, 2014 at 12:15)

My granddaughter, Ava (now 3 1/2) may someday be pleased to know there’s a town in her home state with the same name as hers. I hope to visit it someday.

I am pretty sure I’ve seen Miller products somewhere—perhaps in a catalog that serves the Amish? Or even in a local store that carries many items from many places (they do carry Amish noodles & cheese). I’ll have to look into it further.

How interesting about being on the grid, yet not using the internet or TV…sure seems as if it would be very tempting (how do their youngie fare during Rumspringa?).

Thank you, Don, for your photos & comments. I’ll be interested in learning how this community fares in coming years.

Comment on The Amish of Ava, Illinois (November 18th, 2014 at 16:51)

Alice Mary you may be thinking of Mrs. Miller’s out of Fredericksburg, Ohio. They’re actually not an Amish-owned company but do sell noodles and other food products and have a pretty wide distribution from what I’ve seen.

Comment on The Amish of Ava, Illinois (November 18th, 2014 at 22:44)

Yes, Erik, I’ve seen Mrs. Miller’s Noodles in my local “specialty” store, as well as Das Essenhaus noodles (the hotel & restaurant & shops in Shipshewana, IN), though I don’t know if their noodles are Amish-made. I know some Amish work in the restaurant (my waitress was Amish) but I’m clueless as to who makes the noodles.

I was referring to the Miller “conserves” (preserves, I assume). The jar design looks familiar, but I can’t place where I may have seen them. I was surprised at how “commercial” the label looked. Now I can’t get it out of my mind!

Now I have a craving for a warm slice of fresh bread with a slathering of Amish preserves…sigh!

Kevin L.
    Comment on The Amish of Ava, Illinois (November 19th, 2014 at 11:26)

Thanks for the pictures and narrative, Don. It is interesting to see a New Order Amish community!

Ed from NY
    Comment on The Amish of Ava, Illinois (November 19th, 2014 at 15:13)

Very interesting. The electric word processor was a definite indicator that they are holding the line on technology. A regular business would just get a laptop computer.

In some ways I could see it being a lot harder to adhere to the rules of a New Order community than a more conservative one. It must be hard and frustrating to use a word processor, for instance, but not have ready internet access. Especially when a full powered laptop could so readily take its place. And with less apparent cultural separation from the mainstream society, it must be easy to get caught up in the ways of the outside community.

So my hat goes off to the New Order Amish who apparently are able to incorporate more technology and still keep their separate traditions and identity.

Comment on The Amish of Ava, Illinois (November 19th, 2014 at 19:22)

Ed that’s really an interesting observation. It might have something to do with the generally lower New Order youth retention.

Tammie
    Comment on Miller's Country Store Jelly (April 16th, 2016 at 21:01)

Miller's Country Store Jelly

I found their products in Rural King in Waterloo, Illinois. I bought their Jalapeno Jelly and Hot Pepper Jelly for my folks in California. They especially love the Jalapeno Jelly and want more!!

David Sullivan
    Comment on miller's conserves (June 27th, 2018 at 10:59)

miller's conserves

the name is Miller’s conserves I purchased at save a lot grocery in Vincennes Indiana ..first time i’ve had elderberry …love it!!