21 responses to 6 Amish Farms Where You Can Stay As A Guest (Lancaster County)
    Alfieri
    Comment on I can sleep in a tipical Amish house for 1 night? (June 27th, 2018 at 06:14)

I can sleep in a tipical Amish house for 1 night?

I like to sleep in a tipical amish house for 1 night in august i planed a visit Lancaster
    Alfieri DR Giulaino
    Parma Italy
    Via venezia n 75 43122

Diane Pifferetti Paulson
      Comment on Buongiorno, Dottore. (June 27th, 2018 at 09:11)

Buongiorno, Dottore.

Questa mattina ho visto il suo lettera. Molto interessante, Dottore. Io sono una italiana ma abito dalla California e sono una “fan” del Amish. Buon viaggio a Pennsylvania. Ho visitato li’ e Lancaster e bellissima. Sono nata a California ma adesso sono una cittadina italiana. Mio padre era Bergamasco e madre Toscana.

Steve Myers
    Comment on Amish experience (June 27th, 2018 at 09:20)

Amish experience

We have visited many Amish settlements in Pennsylvania and Ohio over the years. The Lancaster area is heavily commercialized and to learn there are Amish guest homes available is a great opportunity to take advantage of the quiet rest that exists in their communities. Having subscribed to Amish America for a long time, this is the best and most exciting article I have read! Great news, great opportunity with a great people. Kudos to Amish America for this discovery.

• Glad you enjoyed it Steve, I was happy to find this article. Let us know if you happen to stay at one of these places, I’d be curious to hear about the overall experience. Appreciate you reading!

Comment on Authentic Amish (July 18th, 2018 at 17:39)

Authentic Amish

Looking forward to our first and only trip to PA. & Massachusetts, and points in between, first week in Oct. (from West Coast)
        We are ‘Seniors” in mid seventies, so will probably never get there again!
        My heritage goes way back to Amish/Mennonite, from PA & Missouri, generations ago, and I would love to visit/drive through areas that are authentic, and not so commercialized!
        Erik/Amish America….(or anyone else)…Can you recommend any areas in “the loop”, between S.E.Mass.& south to Philadelphia, West over to Lancaster/Gettsburg, and then North to Niagara Falls and back over to Holden?Boston area???

THANK YOU!

• Carol I would say you might visit some communities in PA and upstate NY. There are quite a lot of smaller communities in New York in particular (western NY has quite a few) and also central PA. You might consider the Big Valley area of Mifflin County, beautiful area and 3 distinct Amish groups living there, all with different-colored buggies.

There is also of course Lancaster County, though that would be the most “commercial”, there are certainly areas in that large community which are not tourist-oriented, in fact a lot of the community is like that (main tourist areas are Intercourse – Bird-in-Hand – Strasburg triangle of towns).

Here is a list and a map (2013) showing where you’ll find some of the small communities. Hope it helps:

Julie Bish
    Comment on Visit (June 27th, 2018 at 10:25)

Visit

I would like to plan a vacation, are there any places where they allow pets?

Cheri
    Comment on Fantastic (June 27th, 2018 at 12:35)

Fantastic

It sounds like a fantastic opportunity. I see on this site how so many people are looking for ways to become friends with Amish people, and I have to say that staying on their property is probably the best way. I have been lucky enough to become good friends with a few Amish families in Lancaster County and every visit I make there I add more and more Amish and/or Mennonite friends. I truly believe that if you make an Amish friend, it’s a friend for life. Most are truly beautiful people. I stayed in a carriage house on an Amish property in New Holland just last week and we have already been invited to say anytime and at whatever cost that we find affordable. The last words they stated as we were leaving was, “You are our friends now.” The property was one where they no longer rent out their carriage home – I just happened to try anyway and they let us stay there. I have no doubt that I will be visiting them for years to come.

Comment on Peaceful! (June 27th, 2018 at 12:35)

Peaceful!

I greatly enjoyed today’s post, and perhaps someday I’ll get to Lancaster. I sure hope you can continue this in other states as well. I’d like to know if there are similar opportunities to stay in Amish guesthouses in the Midwest, like IL, IN, WI, etc. (closer to my home, or course!). Peace is what would draw me there more than anything. Sure, with multip!e children in Amish families, things might get a bit raucous at times, but as a Grandma (Busia), I can take it. I’d love to chat with the womenfolk especially, and maybe learn a few words in “Pennsylvania Dutch” from the younger kinner. Just an observation: I was happy to see a window A.C. unit in a photo of one of the guest houses. For a Summer stay, that would be ideal for me!

Thanks for her another “virtual vacation,” Erik!

Comment on Amish Bed and Breakfast in Indiana (June 28th, 2018 at 06:47)

Amish Bed and Breakfast in Indiana

Glad you liked it Alice Mary – I am not aware of other sites which would aggregate Amish guest houses (I’d suspect this type of business is most common in Lancaster County) but there is one I am aware of in northern Indiana, assuming it is still operating. A local left this comment about The Farmstead Bed and Breakfast near Shipshewana several years ago, describing it as “the only Amish owned and operated bed and breakfast in the area. It’s located on an Amish farm and the accommodations do not have electricity (A/c), but it is a true Amish experience.”

Comment on Amish Experience. (June 28th, 2018 at 13:23)

Amish Experience.

Thanks for the link to the Indiana Bed and Breakfast. I would prefer a more Amish experience.

Comment on Food (June 29th, 2018 at 18:58)

Food

I have visited Lancaster many times and will be making another trip in November. I really enjoyed the meals there, my husband loves the shoo fly pie. You can’t buy it here, so, I learned hoe to make it. My husband and I loved there pepper soup.

We also ate at an Amish farm in Ohio and we were treated like Kings and Queens. We always enjoyed our trips so much.

Thank you.

Joanie

Comment on Research Trip! (June 28th, 2018 at 11:35)

Research Trip!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I am working on a mystery series for Guideposts set in Lancaster County, and this is a perfect solution to a few of my research woes. Can’t wait to schedule my trip!

Dr, Oldkat
    Comment on Country Lane Leola (July 1st, 2018 at 10:27)

Country Lane Leola

I think we may have seen this place; Country Lane Amish Farm Stay (Leola), last summer when we were in Lancaster County for HPD. I remember seeing a sign for a place that was an on farm B&B, and wondered if it was actually Amish owned. I just can’t recall what road we were on at the time.

We stayed at a B&B in New Holland, and while it was a nice set up, we would have jumped at a chance to stay at an Amish owned B & B. Especially since HPD was in Leola.

Comment on Life in Lancaster Co. Amish Country (July 10th, 2018 at 17:05)

Life in Lancaster Co. Amish Country

I enjoyed reading this and seeing the references to New Holland, here in Lancaster County. You might remember me asking a few years ago about property for sale in this area, since we wanted to retire to Amish Country. We were blessed, almost exactly a year ago, in finding a perfect town home in New Holland, and further blessed with the three Amish family neighbors whose farmland and homes are at the cul de sac where we now live. They truly are our friends for life. The matriarch of the family and I have fun days of lunch and shopping together and on one side lives her daughter and family and on the other, her son and his family. They are delightful, warm, welcoming and with a terrific sense of humor. Their gentle kindness touches our hearts and we thank the Lord that our dream did come true. Lancaster County is such an incredibly beautiful place to live and visit too! If you can come and spend a weekend, I know you would enjoy yourself immensely.

Comment on 6 Amish Farms Where You Can Stay As A Guest (Lancaster County) (July 18th, 2018 at 16:53)

Where at in New Holland, and how far is that from the city of Lancaster?
      Do you know anywhere where the Amish sell their goods…such as a market, auctions in first week of October, or roadside stands?
      Any truly Amish families who host overnight guests, or at least for 1 meal? SO much publicity and use of fake “Amish made” … but looking for more “off the beaten paths” authentic communities, than around the touristy areas.
      Could anyone help me?

• Carol in answer to one of your questions, this article lists 6 “truly Amish” families who do just that, host overnight guests. Not necessarily in their homes but on the property. In Lancaster area, there are various roadside stands, you just need to drive around backroads in the Amish areas. Finding them is part of the fun. There are some auctions that go on regularly, some are the mud sales, there are also produce auctions (Leola is one example). https://www.leolaproduceauction.com/

Hope that helps!

Jeff &Nyle Edwards
    Comment on 6 Amish Farms Where You Can Stay As A Guest (Lancaster County) (July 14th, 2018 at 22:32)

We stayed at the Beacon Hollw in 2017. It was an awesome experience and it allowed us to see many different aspects of the Amish lifestyle. Ben and Anna were very friendly and informative. Will definitely stay there again on our next trip. We’ve stayed at multiple Amish B&B’s, across several states, and the Beacon Hollow was by far the best overall experience. Thanks so much Ben and Anna
    Jeff &Nyle Edwards (Kentucky)

Comment on Vacation (August 5th, 2018 at 20:21)

Vacation

I want to experience the most that I can of Amish living
    Where is the best place and what time of year is the best time. It would be myself and 17 year old son.