15 responses to 2018 Horse Progress Days (18 Photos)
    Comment on A Hot Day Indeed (July 6th, 2018 at 11:01)

A Hot Day Indeed

Great photos, Dave H. Thank you for sharing. You were conservative on the heat that day. (The photos do not show just how oppressive the heat was in northern lower/mid Michigan-Clare.) Although I did not attend, I couldn’t help but wish it was held the week before when the temps were in the 70’s, which is typical for Michigan. (Smile) But it appears everyone made do and the horses persevered. I was lifting everyone in prayer from further up north~!

Donald Harris
    Comment on Appreciation (July 6th, 2018 at 11:31)

Appreciation

Well I guess I wanna say thanks at the least. I am in south Alabama but have lived in southern Ohio, Ross county around or close to Amish and northeastern Ohio in Danville which borders Holmes county or I believe the largest organization of Amish in the world. It was pretty much as many Amish to English ratio and i love it or the way they live,admire them. Anyway I found this Amish America subscription and started getting email notifications a while back because I love reading about them and the numerous ways they contribute to life itself and I appreciate it to say the least so I guess im telling them thank you very much and god bless yall. I look forward to reading next time and I do every email usually 3 weekly and love all the pictures as well so thanks again.

Holland VanDieren
    Comment on How About Compassion for the Horses? (July 6th, 2018 at 11:51)

How About Compassion for the Horses?

I feel so sorry for the horses — overworked through the week, then subjected to intense heat so they can “entertain” a crowd. Amish are already known for breeding dogs in horrid puppy mill conditions. Looks like that disdain for the suffering of animals extends to equines too.

William C.
      Comment on 2018 Horse Progress Days (18 Photos) (July 6th, 2018 at 14:28)

Overworked? Do you know ANYTHING about horses? I was there and was impressed with the condition of the horses and the superb care they obviously had. And for the record, I’m not Amish but a long-time dedicated breeder of draft horses and I work with them on a regular basis. Disdain? No… And I suppose the many people there from impoverished third-world countries eager to learn how to improve their farming methods should be deprived of that potentially life-changing opportunity because of people like yourself who consider an important event like this mere entertainment. But… I suppose that side of it is irrelevant to people like you.

It’s worth pointing out that one of the larger manufacturers of this horse-drawn machinery has gone to a lot of effort to design and produce and donate scaled-down versions of their equipment for use in very deprived areas where a single ox or donkey might be the main “power source.” But… feeding people through farming is not important to some. So sad.

Maureen
        Comment on Draft Horses, (July 7th, 2018 at 14:50)

Draft Horses,

William this was a “well said” post! Thank you.

What line of draft did you breed?

You might want to educate “Holland” on the draft horse. Their strength, stamina, demeanor, their overall love to work!

William C.
          Comment on 2018 Horse Progress Days (18 Photos) (July 10th, 2018 at 08:43)

Thanks, Maureen.

I’m a Belgian man. Our family has raised, shown, and worked Belgians for over 60 years.

Educating “Holland”? Probably a waste of time — those people often don’t want to see reason. Their mind is made up and the likelihood of getting them to see facts or reason is slim and it’s time I’d rather spend caring for our magnificent horses.

Maureen
            Comment on Draft Horses (July 10th, 2018 at 10:16)

Draft Horses

William,

If you asked me to guess, I would have said the Belgian; it’s the favorite here. My all time best ever horse was a Belgian named Martin. There are more cross breeds in this area; American cream, Percheron, Clydes, etc., and of course your outstanding Belgian. The “draft horse” – such a special, magnificant creature – the horse that loves to please. Smart too! It’s back to work tomorrow! working with two standard breds [auction] for buggies. They’re especially lucky, Abrahm’s wife Hazel makes all their horses corn bread for a treat! And Hazel makes the BEST corn bread in the Mohawk Valley! Thanks William for making the draft the best; Belgian’s are sure that!

Katie
      Comment on 2018 Horse Progress Days (18 Photos) (July 6th, 2018 at 22:00)

Oh for goodness sake! Take it elsewhere! People who know, love, and understand horses appreciate HPD and support it. Never mind all the seminars on horse care and horse care products and improvements, you are just trying to stir things up.
      And puppy mills? I am sure they exist. Got two of them right down my road and both run by people who aren’t Amish.

Maureen
      Comment on Draft horses and puppy mills (July 7th, 2018 at 15:14)

Draft horses and puppy mills

Holland, you might want to educate yourself instead of spewing your erroneous thoughts.

I’m a Yankee Irish Catholic. I have worked among the Amish in a vast region of New York State for over a dozen years; chiefly with the wellness of their draft horses. English Christian farmers here employ me [and others like me] as well.

These people, Amish and Mennonites and Christian farmers are all endeared to their equine. They also love their pets!

Because some Amish were in the newspapers over the years operating puppy mills,, you choose to forget about the English puppy mills, and vilify only the Amish?

You need to google puppy mills and find out some facts, there Holland. Do us all a favor and educate yourself before you post here on “Amish America” with a one sided view and purposfully maligning one group, namely the Amish!

Comment on 2018 Horse Progress Days (18 Photos) (July 7th, 2018 at 15:30)

I appreciate your comments here, Maureen! Well said.

Adam
        Comment on I'm a little confused (July 8th, 2018 at 23:10)

I'm a little confused

Maureen, I am Catholic too, and I make a point of making sure people know that Catholics ARE Christian. If we want to use the strict, traditional criteria of what makes a Christian (namely, Trinitarianism), then Amish and Mennonites fit in that category. I don’t know any Amish, but we do have Mennonites here, they’re pretty straight forward about the fact they are Christian.

Maureen
          Comment on Draft Horses (July 9th, 2018 at 07:30)

Draft Horses

Adam, yes – Christians [Jesus Christ Believers] belong to different churches. Among these Christian Farm Communities I work for, they are comprised mostly of anabaptists, prodistants, presbyterians, lutherans, evangelists, and baptists; I’m the sole Catholic – we are all Christians. Among these Christian churches, however, it is my opinion, Catholics seem to be a bit set apart.

You have a great name, Adam – the one we gave our first born!

Pam
    Comment on 2018 Horse Progress Days (18 Photos) (July 6th, 2018 at 18:40)

Anyone know who might sell camels in or near PA?

Maureen
    Comment on Draft Horses, and Puppy Mills (July 7th, 2018 at 14:42)

Draft Horses, and Puppy Mills

Greetings, from Central New York /North Country New York!

I’m a horse exerciser for several Christian farm Communities; mostly with their draft line. Like the English, there are Amish and Mennonites who treat their horses very well, and a scant few who could use improvement. The ones that don’t, also wouldn’t hire for total wellness.

Overwhelmingly, however, the Amish are superior in equine; “gifted” is the correct word. They treat their horses with respect and there is an obvious special bond formed when working in tandem and beyond; a most beautiful site to see. If they are concerned for a horse, they employ me at once, others employe me for the entire season. Should I ever suspect or witness abuse and/or neglect it would be reported. And there have been reports on several farmers over the years; including one Mennonite.

As far as puppy mills, there was such a horror scene and close down of one that I recall; a Yankee. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe he served jail time. Two Amish up North country were sited and warned, then ultimately agreed to disband their mills in 2008, and 2010. I didn’t know either of them.

Understand that no decent farmer owning and operating a farm that I have been associated with, has ever mistreated a horse or a dog or a cat or any farm animal EVER. This “Missy English” would report them without hesitation. I can write, without any doubt whatsoever, that the Amish, Mennonites, and other Christian farmers in the region would not stand for this egregious treatment of any living thing. And neither would the others in these Christian Farm Communities.

To insult and speak negatively of any one group – lumping them all together and casting aspersions shows great ignorance.